RC Competitor

Skid plate upgrade

I just order a whole bunch of upgrades for my pede 2wd vxl but I can't find any skid plate upgrade. I'm doing everything rpm black and want to stay all black. I find all colors but not black. Anyone know where I can get some. Not the stock something better. Thanks

You can use the RPM skids from the Slash 2wd. The rear bolts up with no problems, But you have to use the RPM rear bumper/wheelie bar mount if you wanna run the Traxxas wheelie bar, The Traxxas wheelie bar mount will not work with the RPM rear skid plate. The front takes a little bit of modding to fit properly.

RPM has a step by step procedure to do the mod.

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/faq/skids.htm
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Racer
    Strc makes nice aluminum ones in black but a bit pricy at $20 each

RC Champion

STRC...need i say more?

RC Competitor
    Those strc are nice. Ima get those. Thanks for replies.

RC Qualifier
    I think Proline makes an upgraded skid.
    I have yet to break a skid/chassis brace.. 4 years now and still stock
    God is good.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    I think Proline makes an upgraded skid.
    I have yet to break a skid/chassis brace.. 4 years now and still stock
    i broke 2 of them jumping off big hills. if you're pede is an on-roader and regular basher than you're good but the jumps i were taking were meant to break something

this is when i got my first pede and used the traxxas green instead of the strc green. learned my lesson. those aluminum skid plates are a must imo

RC Champion
    now my grave digger is bullet proof after i get my aluminum servo saver

RC Qualifier
    I don't do much jumping, always move my motor and pinion. That would be why I don't break my skids.. haha
    God is good.

I was wanting to get those strc greens for my build, But I'm worried about them getting scratched up and looking bad, How is the durability of yours, as far as getting scraped up and such?

RC Competitor
    That a good question dave00bear. I didn't think of that.

RC Champion
    well it all depends on what you're doing with your pede dave...give me 5 minutes. i'll take a pic of my plates since i've had them. havent hit any big jumps where i usually go but i took it offroad over LOTS OF ROCKS AND GRAVEL

RC Champion
    Here's a pic of my skid plates as of today i like riding the curb alot too

RC Champion
    and after taking these pics...i notice i have to start doing a post-run inspection. alot of my screws/pins/hinges are loose! i've been bashing this thing hard!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I dont like alum in that spot. Alum bends.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I dont like alum in that spot. Alum bends.
    aluminum bends and plastic breaks....what's the difference?

RC Competitor
    That's not bad i don't do to much rock nor gravel riding just dirt and on road. Ima give them a try.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitola23 View Post
    That's not bad i don't do to much rock nor gravel riding just dirt and on road. Ima give them a try.
    yea give it a try bro...i've noticed MANY of forum members knock certain upgrades (like aluminum upgrades) but NEVER EVEN TRIED THEM. they're just speaking from "word of mouth" but i can GUARANTEE you these last 10x longer than the stock skid plates. and are more durable. and not to mention STRC, arguably is the best company for RC aluminum.

RC Competitor
    Good looking out g-rustler

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Easy trigger. I love alum upgrades. Just not in certain areas. I learned all about it in the 12 or so traxxas 2wd builds I have done. So if you were referring to me, I did have an strc rear skid. I bent it in a big cartwheeling crash. I bent it back, and then got rid of it. I have only broken 1 stock skid in all the years I have been doing this. So before you go and blast MANY members, remember that some of us are here to help.

The rpm skids flex 999 out of a thousand times and spring back where the aluminum will stay bent. Good luck to you pitola23. I hope they work out for you...

RC Champion
    I love my rpm skid plates. I go over a lot of rocks, curbs and tree roots and I like plastic be cause I feel like it skids over the stuff better. I'd think aluminum would get more hung up on certain things more so than the plastic, but that's just me thinking out loud. Plus the rpm slash front skid is a terrific upgrade over stock with it's center mounting point. Before installing that part, I used to crack a lot of chassis around the servo area. After the upgrade, durability went way up.

RC Champion
    only one broken!?!?! well you're not bashing/jumping hard bro. not trying to argue. just giving facts and detailed pics of the weakness. in all of the years's i've been doin this i've broken 2 stock skid plates fairly close in time. bottom line there's no way the strc is weaker than the stock skid plates. you can only get better when upgrading those. i've showed proof of the weakness of the stock skid plates and there's no denying that. i havent built 12 2wd's but i kno for sure what's best for the pede in this siutation. rpm i wouldnt doubt is a good alternative also.

RC Champion
    Yeah, when it comes down to upgrading the skids, you cant go wrong with rpm or strc. It just boils down to personal taste. On the flip side, both will look pretty ugly after some abuse too. I like how rpm offers their warranty for breakages, even tho I doubt it could even happen.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    only one broken!?!?! well you're not bashing/jumping hard bro. not trying to argue. just giving facts and detailed pics of the weakness. in all of the years's i've been doin this i've broken 2 stock skid plates fairly close in time. bottom line there's no way the strc is weaker than the stock skid plates. you can only get better when upgrading those. i've showed proof of the weakness of the stock skid plates and there's no denying that. i havent built 12 2wd's but i kno for sure what's best for the pede in this siutation. rpm i wouldnt doubt is a good alternative also.
    Please...
    Never said it was weaker did I? It bends and then doesn't come back into shape is all I said. Then you try to bend it back and it gets close, but you will never get it as good as new. Then the truck is tweaked... Not trying to argue either. Just stating from my experience and in my opinion what is a better option... RPM. In most places, good plastic parts are just a better choice. Its not that the alum skids are bad, its just that they susceptible to bending if you hit hard enough, where the rpm parts just flex and spring back into place, like new, without snapping like the stock skids are prone to do.

I have been through all of this. I bent your strc skid and you have not. Whos not bashing hard enough?

Like this!

Its Easy. Its listed on RPMs site. LHS everywhere have it, and websites. BUT its listed for the Slash 2wd....
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Competitor
    Now that's what I'm talking about. That's the same look I'm going for.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    Like this!

Its Easy. Its listed on RPMs site. LHS everywhere have it, and websites. BUT its listed for the Slash 2wd....
    Man that thing looks beastly loot and out of all the people on here loot and don builds the best stampeds they know A lot of things I love strc but I think the rem skids and braces just have a better look and I think but not sure that they are stronger they came in black too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    hey loot quick question, does the rpm braces lower the stampede's center of gravity? they seem to be angle a lil lower compared to the stock braces. i may purchase a rpm set for my vxl son-uva digger build

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    I would argue that alloy is a great upgrade in lots of places! But not for skids. I have trashed all the best and now remain content with proline skids. I bought plenty as soon as I heard of the canceled front/rear skids so im set but if not..... I would go with rpm. I did go through a few exchanges with REM, always free replacement with their lifetime bash warranty but again, it bends! Strc is a nice product in most places but not for skids! Who really wants to spend money on a part that will be kinked very soon after just to pay again in a week ..... not me! If strc had a bash warranty, id still pass, I would take REM or FLM over the strc just because of the thin peice they make compared to the other 2 offerings from a warrantied companies. Just my opinion!
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If I was going to trust anyones experience with aluminum it would be thedreadedend. He's bent more aluminum than anyone I know.

But I have also run aluminum skids. Not STRC but flat aluminum like the STRC versions and like EVERYONE here has said except for ONE person, aluminum will bend. Plastic will flex. Ive probably broken a dozen stock skids (front and rears combined). Ive broken the proline skids (pulled the screw out of the mount holes on the little arms) but I have never ever EVER broken an RPM skidplate. The ones on my pede are the very first ones I ever put on. If I could get a pic for you (im at work and leaving for Vegas in an hour) youd see, my skids are beat to crap. Big scrapes, gouges, dings. Not pretty. But theyve never failed.

Aluminum is an excellent choice in certain places. I have alot of it on my pede. But skid plates, for any vehicle, not just an RC, make no sense in aluminum. That green looks really pretty now. But give it a few months of bashing and they start to look worn out. Give the front and one GOOD hit and youve got a green aluminum pretzel. Those REM aluminum skids dreaded was talking about are way beefier than the STRC ones and he bend a pile of them. I actually think its his fault REM altered their basher warranty. hehe.

I also believe the longer slash front skidplate helps to brace the chassis better. Since upgrading to the longer front skids I havent broken a single chassis. I put the proline chassis saver on the rear and that stopped the little shock tower mount tabs from breaking off. But I attribute the front ends durability largely to the long RPM skidplate.

Trust the advice of many (and have a quick look at post count if you want to gauge experience) VS the advice of few. 9/10 its the best advice.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 01-16-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    I love my rpm skid plates. I go over a lot of rocks, curbs and tree roots and I like plastic be cause I feel like it skids over the stuff better. I'd think aluminum would get more hung up on certain things more so than the plastic, but that's just me thinking out loud. Plus the rpm slash front skid is a terrific upgrade over stock with it's center mounting point. Before installing that part, I used to crack a lot of chassis around the servo area. After the upgrade, durability went way up.
    I highly agree with you Oaks. Ur very right.. U can tell for sure the RPM skid helps the front end alot. Especially cuz besides it, there is only the two front bulkhead screws to hold the front end on, it helps durability alot. And the skidding thing is also awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitola23 View Post
    Now that's what I'm talking about. That's the same look I'm going for.
    Thats what I was tryin to tell you in post #2

Quote Originally Posted by dave00bear View Post
    You can use the RPM skids from the Slash 2wd. The rear bolts up with no problems, But you have to use the RPM rear bumper/wheelie bar mount if you wanna run the Traxxas wheelie bar, The Traxxas wheelie bar mount will not work with the RPM rear skid plate. The front takes a little bit of modding to fit properly.

RPM has a step by step procedure to do the mod.

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/faq/skids.htm
    I just ordered me a set of the black RPM's this morning for my pede build

Thanks Chris Foster!

I also completely agree with Dread... ALum will get thrashed below... Looks great, but id come back with it all scracthed up and tore up the first run.... I go over curbs, and jump em, and all kinds of bashing.

hey loot quick question, does the rpm braces lower the stampede's center of gravity? they seem to be angle a lil lower compared to the stock braces. i may purchase a rpm set for my vxl son-uva digger build
    Rear braces? The skids? Um.. Not so much. They are the same weight as the stockers.. Im sure the fronts and even rears weight alittle more cuz more material, but nothing crazy noticable there. If ur talking about the braces as in the body mounts, than that used to be the case, but now the Monster jam Body mounts will do a fine job. Especially for the Digger.. U can lower the body, without changing anything out.That will lower the Center of Gravity.

Here's a pic of my skid plates as of today i like riding the curb alot too
    G Rustler. I LOVE the look of those,but Id thrash em so quickly. They are extremly good looking though. U know what I think would be a good idea, to protect it with the same stuf used on cell phones. The clear covers.. I bet thatd work awesome.

RPM Skids on my main pede

Proline Skids

Front

Rear

Bumper

As dread said. These are way nice, but since they dont make em no more, im havin a tough time deceiding where to use em!! lol.

The Proline front skids and bumper can be found, It's the rear skid that I cant personally get or find.
    Last edited by dave00bear; 01-17-2013 at 01:10 PM.

RC Competitor
    I have a integy front skid plate and it won't fit right with the bell crank screws. Do i have to shim them or something? I don't want to mess it up.... lmi thanks.....

I have learnt a lot from some great membres here and just to add my bit of rc history;
    I have managed to bend not one but two FLM bulkheads along with its front arm, managed to rip off an arm of the hinge, and now convinced there are just certain parts best left as is and replaced with nice RPM plastics;

By the way my fully FLM build, I had removed the shock towers because lots of energies have been transferred trough the chassis and trough them on hard bashig; managed to snap off the screw that hold them onto the chassis; put the RPM shock towers on and wow, once again the pede runs like a champ; so I slo replaced some parst on the other pede with RPM shocks.

RPM arms on my slash 4X4 MT and soon to be on another erebe.

The only thing integy that did very well for me is an erbe roll cage and integy alloy rear arms for the other pede, hopefully the new owner will enjoy them as much as I had
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier

STRC...need i say more?
    Just ordered the red ones for myself hope they are good as people say.

RC Qualifier
    My son has the red STRC skidplates and they survived a head-on collision with the front tire of my 1:1 truck just this last weekend! Unfortunately, the chassis and servo mounting tabs broke, but now he understands that the truck will not steer when the front tires are off the ground, LOL.

Personally, I prefer the RPM skid plates because I bash the snot out of my P2de and I want all the flex I can get. So far there isn't much indication which route is better in the long run. I guess that means they are both good choices.