Thread: 2.5 & 2.5r?

RC Racer

2.5 & 2.5r?

Is there any diffrences in these two? I have a 2.5 in my maxx and its the 4910 model. Is the 2.5R any diffrent and is it a direct drop in?

RC Qualifier
    Only difference between the two engines is the cooling head, both will fit the 4910 tmaxx

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

From a historical standpoint, when the 2.5R was first introduced, it featured slightly revised sleeve porting. The 2.5R porting has since been superseded into all 2.5 and 2.5R engines, so they are essentially the same, sans the machined, blue anondized cooling head of the 2.5R vs. the cast one of the 2.5.

If you are looking for a performance upgrade, I would look elsewhere. But if it is a nice factory replacement you are after, either will work fine in your truck, as long as you have a model with a starter shaft (for pull-start or EZ-Start) and with the correct IPS style crankshaft.

RC Racer
    I was thinking of getting a 3.3 for my truck. If I the bell clutch and gear on the 3.3, would it work on the 2.5 tranny or should I change that too? I'm looking to get more power.

RC Qualifier
    3.3 is a direct drop in for the 2,5 tmaxx

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    sweet! Thanks!