RC Enthusiast

drag brake question?

do alot of you guys/gals run drag brake on your erbe? if so what percent? i set it at 10% right now to try it out and it really slows it down fast. i couldn imagine going higher

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Not usually especially not in summer time creates more heat

RC Champion
    Its all dependant on how you are running it. Sometimes I have mine set on 20% an others 0%. When I do have it on its not active for long as Im mostly on the throttle. If you are racing its an absolute must! You can then wait until the last moment before letting off the throttle when entering turns and dont have to worry about over braking by doing it manually. When Im racing I never use the brake, just what the drag brake is set at.

RC Qualifier
    If you planning to run with Drag Brake, keep an eye on your motor temps.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

I run drag brake on my truck on my truck when big air bashing...I have mine set to 13%.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think that would be harder on the diffs. Like landing with the brakes on a bit

I would of thought it would be less harsh on the diffs because you eliminate the need to hit the brakes to correct the truck in the air for landing...generally this is how my diffs would strip in the past from correcting the truck in the air...at 13% the braking percentage is minimal.

Big air bashing is hard on the diffs.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    I run 0% all the time, racing or not. My 6 pole motor has enough resistance. To me driving something that brakes or slows down for you is just weird.

Brake drag is more for racing on a tight track.....jm2c I don't run any......
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Enthusiast
    This info is straight from the castle software programme:

0%, Disabled
    No drag brake - car will freewheel in neutral

10%
    Lowest drag brake setting - good for bashing, or low traction racing

20%
    Low drag brake setting - good for bashing, or low traction racing

30%
    Medium low drag brake setting - good for medium traction racing

40%
    Medium drag brake setting - good for medium traction racing

50%
    Medium/High drag brake setting - good for medium traction racing

60%
    Medium/High drag brake setting - good for medium/high traction racing

70%
    High drag brake setting - good for high traction racing

80%
    High drag brake setting - good for high traction racing

90%
    Very High drag brake setting - good for very high traction racing

100%
    Very High drag brake setting - good for very high traction racing

213% Crawler Full-On
    Very High drag brake setting - full brake is engaged - good for rock crawling vehicles

I am with Craig on this one...I have my drag brake set at 10%...what a difference it has made to my bashing not hitting the brakes all the time to correct the truck in the air. I think it has actually prolonged the life of my diffs...obviously this is just my 2 worth.
    Last edited by Naaier; 02-14-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: added info

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by deerhurst View Post
    I run 0% all the time, racing or not. My 6 pole motor has enough resistance. To me driving something that brakes or slows down for you is just weird.
    Its all about throttle control, Granted if you are used to nitro it will seem weird. Just keep in mind that drag brake does nothing until the throttle is in the neutral position. Its a learning curve if you havent used it but IMO its much easier to control the truck and you seldom have to go from pulling to pushing on the throttle. For me I dont like free wheeling because at that point the forces of nature have control of the trucks speed and not me. Think of it like this, professional 1:1 racers never free wheel. They are either on the throttle, engine braking (same as drag brake) or on the brakes. Same as normal driving in 1:1, The only time Ive ever let a car coast and free wheel was when I was rolling down a hill into the gas station because I just ran out of gas! LOL

Now that you say that^ when I'm jumping & I'm in the air, usually on the throttle just enough to keep it level.
    Now if things are not going well, either hard on the throttle of break.(my regular brake 30%)....to try & save it...
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Enthusiast
    i like a bit of drag brake for bashing. it makes cornering a lot easier as you can get just the right amout of weight on the front wheels to turn/ enter drift and keep going.

RC Champion
    I have mine set to 10% all the time

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    had the maxx set at 12% with trenchers my daughter wasn't use to it! click on pic

RC Champion
    ooops, hate it when that happens!

RC Racer
    Have mine set to 0%. It just seems more efficient to me and you can always use the brake if you want to slow down... Set mine to 10% one and the motor really warmed up (140deg). For jumping, my truck naturally has a nose down so i only need to use throttle for corrections.