RC poster

Slash no bueno!!!

I got a slash 4x4 for xmas. It was used but built by a very knowledgeable rc person. Xmas day it ran fine, got it home and it wouldnt run, only did the herky jerky glitch out. Took it back to my rc guy, replaced the esc with new VXL 3 from traxxas Ran great for 2 batteries worth. Back to glitch and no go. It had a reedy motor, and was told that traxxas esc might not jive so I bought a brand new vileon motor to match the new esc. All traxxas parts now, still dont run So while Im checking things out I have the battery hooked up and the esc turned off I touch it and it burns my fingers! All 5 wires from esc are warm and the esc itself is blazing, truck hasnt even run.
    side note: with wheels off the ground it revs up full rpm, with wheels on the ground it just glitches out
    I run the traxxas 8.4Nimh batteries, 15/54 gears, gear mesh good, no cooling fan on motor, cooling fan on esc. 2.4gh radio(not tqi)
    Please help! son losing faith in dad, dad already bald, no more hair to pull out

RC Racer
    is it possible the 2nd esc was damaged also... before you switched to the velinion??

you probably already have done this.... but with all that heat double check all the connections..

hang in there dad!

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like a short in the esc. The ESC should in theory should not be pulling any amps from the battery to feed to the motor since you are not requesting power to the motor via your transmitter. It should not be the battery since the battery only discharges it's current on request if you will, it's not constantly pushing current. Unfortunately I just think you are experiencing what many do and have when using a VXL ESC and that is that they suck. Both my stock esc in my stampede and slash went bad within 6 packs on each truck and that was using 2s lipos.
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

Quote Originally Posted by Pede Pede View Post
    Sounds like a short in the esc. The ESC should in theory should not be pulling any amps from the battery to feed to the motor since you are not requesting power to the motor via your transmitter. It should not be the battery since the battery only discharges it's current on request if you will, it's not constantly pushing current. Unfortunately I just think you are experiencing what many do and have when using a VXL ESC and that is that they suck. Both my stock esc in my stampede and slash went bad within 6 packs on each truck and that was using 2s lipos.

The velineon doesn't suck..
    It just has issues in the 4x4s...
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    My stock vxl slash 4x4 rips. I'm running 3S 5400mah 50C batteries. Fans on the esc and motor. I drive it like I stole it and she just keeps running. Tires ripping off the bead are my biggest issue.

If you look at my signature I don't have the VXL in either of my trucks. If you are going to replace the motor system, replace it with a Castle Creations 2400 system and leave it alone. I have had my oldest MMP 2400 system for over two years and have never once had any problem with it. That is why I bought the same system for my second Slash 4x4.
    Slash Ultimate El Sob special MIP King Headz 3PL

RC Competitor
    Never had problems with mine... I got three sets... I had mine for two years already.
    SLASH 4X4, SLASH 2WD, RUSTLER VXL, TMAXX 2.5R

RC Racer
    I've had three different slashes all with the vxl 3s motor and esc. I personally love the vxl systems an have never had problems. That are plenty fast and water proof. I have had my slash for over 3 years and the motor still runs perfectly fine.

You break you buy

RC Champion
    The vxl system is great on 2s. Ran several for several years. They hold up well even when beaten. We did switch to Castle for some extra insane power though...
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by irons209 View Post
    So while Im checking things out I have the battery hooked up and the esc turned off I touch it and it burns my fingers! All 5 wires from esc are warm and the esc itself is blazing, truck hasnt even run.
    This wreaks of either reverse polarity or bad ESC or a bad battery.

If it glitches out under load it sounds like a bad esc, bad battery or battery connection where you lose continuity under load.

Best thing you could do is to divest in the velineon and go with a MMP/3800kV on 2s if your son is running it or up to the 2400 and more juice for batteries if you think he can handle it.