RC Racer

after market esc!?

I was wondering if i should get the sidewinder 3 esc. I was also thinking that would it work with my traxxas vxl motor? And maybe later down the road put a 2400 kv motor with that esc. Would all that work because the side winder is water resistint and cheaper than mamba monster 2 but i would just want an esc that would work with my vxl motor so the esc can hold more volts and not break as much.
    open to other CHEAP suggestions as well.
    Thanks,

RC Qualifier
    Well....you can check out Brushless Hobbies LT4 esc, I have 2 of them ($67 free ship, free usb adapter, customer support is awesome) 1 in SSC Slash and the other in a 4x4 buggy, super nice!!!! And for the money you can't go wrong!!!!!! Just my 2 cents.....
    rc10T3, TT Sparrowhawk XXB, Slash 4x4, 1/16 Rally

RC Champion
    I don't think the sidewinder sv3 will handle over 3S lipo. If you want to get a 2400 later, that might push the sv3 a little too hard.

I'd suggest a mamba max pro, or equivalent size ESC, if you want to go to a 2400kv motor later. Castle may release a waterproof version of that soon too.

RC Racer
    I just bought and installed the Mamba Monster V2 esc (waterproof) In my slash last night along with the HPI 4000kv Flux motor and I love that combo on 2s.

I suggest you not get the Sidewinder esc. It is not a strong enough esc for the weight of the Slash 4x4. I wouldn't suggest anything less than the MMP out of the Castle Creations line up.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S 2400 MIP King Headz RPM 3PL

RC Champion
    If they so release a waterproof version soon, then the current MMP price will drop. Get one of those, and add water-resistance yourself.

I run two MMP's right now, and used liquid tape to protect them both. I've ran them on many rainy and wet days without issue, though I haven't submerged them or anything.

RC Racer
    alright thanks guys i probably just wait til the price drops.
    i have another question what steering servo would you recommend? maybe water resistant as well?
    Last edited by littlejoe; 01-23-2013 at 06:03 PM.

RC Champion
    Sidewinder and slash 4x4 = magic smoke gets out. 3s lipo is definitely a huge no no, smoke will get out quicker. Its marginal for the 2wd on 2s. Been there and done that.
    As suggested nothing less than a MMP out of castle products.
    If you are going to end up with a 2400 combo anyhow you are better off buying it as a combo, comes out cheaper by a pretty good bit than buying individually. If you are strapped now Id just keep an eye out for a used VXL-3s (you can usually get a new one on Ebay for under $75) then sell off that combo when you are ready for the 2400.

RC Qualifier
    If you are a Tower Hobbies member you could get the 2400 setup with a discount and also get easy pay payments.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!