RC poster

New...and a bit surprised...

I got a Stampede 4x4 VXL little over a week ago. Havent busted anything on it and have been running a 3s lipo in it. No issues what so ever. Outside temps have been between 34F all the way to 60F. Motor is hot to the touch when Im done but I can hold my finger on it for a few seconds before it starts to really hurt.

Only other thing I got is my front diff is leaking something. I had it apart and everything looked just fine. Tips on this at all?

Besides that I am wondering why is everyones stuff breaking so much? I have flipped and cart wheeled mine. Nothing busted on it. Jumps... its only been 3 foot in the air so far.

One thing I have discovered though with the stock tires is their grip is not much so I cant keep my model floored long at all or its a curb or something else....

Been loving the hobby and take it out almost every day til I run my 2s and 3s through it (bout an hour + some) and go home.

Im thinking next thing to get is a temp gun.

ps im running stock gearing.

edit how are you guys mounting go pros on this.... I got a vid of it in the bed of the truck... it works ok...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhPnPY4NCr4

RC Champion
    Welcome.

Traxxas makes a very good product. I have a Slash, E-Maxx Brushless and Rally. So far I've broken one part in about a month of use for all, a rear skidplate. And that was only because I sent my 'Maxx tumbling on concrete.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

Welcome dude your front diff can be tightened up so you need to take it out of the casing and check the rubber seal is all good and has stopped leaking.if not take it apart and put 30000 wt diff oil in and make sure to that you tighten it well and you should be all good
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    hmm... it is leaking less now that i did tighten it a bit. My issue is I dont wanna over tighten something and strip it out. I have done that more than once on far bigger bolts. lol

Totally loving the hobby.

My brother bought a slash 4x4 and I think roasted the motor the second day. (He has already contacted traxxas)

I forgot to say one thing to upgrade as soon as you can is the bearing adaptor to the alu one part number 6893x because the plastic one will melt on 3s dude ....peace

RC poster
    Spennie what is the alu man?

and 3s is awesome man.... I dont have to floor it to get it to move out.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundMan28 View Post
    Spennie what is the alu man?

and 3s is awesome man.... I dont have to floor it to get it to move out.
    Alu = Aluminum. Also, I recommend a set of MIP heavy duty driveshafts and you won't look back. 3s will snap your driveshafts soon. I'm a new owner too, new since Oct 2012 and this forum and another has been fantastic to learn from. My Pede 4x4 has been upgraded with almost every upgrade possible and am now waiting for a heavy duty Savox servo and will whack a Castle 2650kv motor and ESC soon. Have a look at the VG Racing rollcage too as I run one of these and love it.......

RC poster
    Thanks man....

Im still getting used to pulling it apart and rebuilding it. But honestly thats half the fun. Whats perfect is they are still expanding the housing development im living in so I have several areas to drive on. One in particular was like 3 lots side by side totally smooth dirt that my bro and I were racing on.

How long did you stock half shafts last? Im just curious? And why a roll cage? Seems to me the body would double as a roll cage. Not unless you flip it over from 30 ft.

RC Racer
    Thanks man....

Im still getting used to pulling it apart and rebuilding it. But honestly thats half the fun. Whats perfect is they are still expanding the housing development im living in so I have several areas to drive on. One in particular was like 3 lots side by side totally smooth dirt that my bro and I were racing on.

How long did you stock half shafts last? Im just curious? And why a roll cage? Seems to me the body would double as a roll cage. Not unless you flip it over from 30 ft.
    Rear shafts broke after 3 runs on 3s. Very hard not to break these on 3s but part of my problem was hitting full throttle instantly on grass which wouldn't have helped. Now with the MIPs, it seems rock solid and the only thing I have to do now is keep the truck clean after runs instead of having downtime for weeks waiting for spares.

The roll cage is to protect the truck as I don't like running it with the plastic body, although the body fits nicely over the roll cage if I want to do this. Reason for not wanting to run a body on it is mainly for airflow to the motor, especially on 3s. The roll cages are super strong, heavy, but well worth it and they look pretty angry too.

RC poster
    Man I have mashed the gas (amps?) to the motor several times. On asphalt, grass and dirt and nothing has broke on mine. It stays together quite well.

That and good point with the roll cage idea.... I have been thinking about a heat sink and cutting a couple holes in the body for air flow. Espicially for my brothers slash...

RC Racer
    Man I have mashed the gas (amps?) to the motor several times. On asphalt, grass and dirt and nothing has broke on mine. It stays together quite well.

That and good point with the roll cage idea.... I have been thinking about a heat sink and cutting a couple holes in the body for air flow. Espicially for my brothers slash...
    I run a heatsink / fan on motor and the traxxas ESC fan as I want to keep temps as low as possible.

RC poster
    Crackelaktor what about dirt getting into the fan?

RC Racer
    Crackelaktor what about dirt getting into the fan?
    I've had little blades of grass getting in and once a small twig but it was very easy to remove and I keep a close eye on the temps via the TQi telemetry. The fans make a noticeable difference.

RC Qualifier
    I got a Stampede 4x4 VXL little over a week ago. Havent busted anything on it and have been running a 3s lipo in it. No issues what so ever. Besides that I am wondering why is everyones stuff breaking so much? I have flipped and cart wheeled mine. Nothing busted on it. Jumps... its only been 3 foot in the air so far.

Been loving the hobby and take it out almost every day til I run my 2s and 3s through it (bout an hour + some) and go home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhPnPY4NCr4
    Dude, you've had it a week. Come back in 12 months and tell us what you've broken then!
    Traxxas makes a tough product, but nobody's trucks are indestructible.
    Had a jump go wrong Sunday and hit a telephone pole at 30 mph in mid air. Split the front dif case and ripped the front bulkhead apart. Servo saver did its job as did the RPM bumper.
    An hour or so later, I was out running it again at a cost of about $10-$15 worth of parts out of my parts bin. That's the real beauty of Traxxas. You can get any part you need, at reasonable cost, and the modular design is easy to work on.

RC poster
    yea.... well Im not the biggest fan of busting stuff up. I just wanna take care of it best I can and have fun with it....

Dude its all about have fun with your truck and getting to know it as well on the inside and out .....peace

RC Racer
    Heat sink and fans are a must have, also get a temp gun.

Andrew
    Stampede 4x4 vxl w/ MMP/2400kv, Mini E-Revo

RC Qualifier
    yea.... well Im not the biggest fan of busting stuff up. I just wanna take care of it best I can and have fun with it....
    That was my original plan too. Problem is, the speed and capability are addictive. You keep wanting to go faster and faster, and sooner or later it isn't pretty anymore and you wind up buying parts, but you don't care because you still want more - LOL.

I said to my wife that i would not spend to much on the the pede if only she knew how much i have spent over the last two years....peace

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    I said to my wife that i would not spend to much on the the pede if only she knew how much i have spent over the last two years....peace
    yea see thats where im at. I have spent $1000 in the last 10 days on this hobby. I have even talked her into letting me buy a Slash Ultimate 4x4 in 6 months. She doesnt want me to spend any more money on this.... but oh well.

RC poster
    Mip driveshafts are good but way to heavy.
    Try 6851r ( front) and 6852r (Back).
    They are Munch lighter, original traxxas and ad least as strong as mip

RC Racer
    yea see thats where im at. I have spent $1000 in the last 10 days on this hobby. I have even talked her into letting me buy a Slash Ultimate 4x4 in 6 months. She doesnt want me to spend any more money on this.... but oh well.
    I bought the Pede 4x4 in October and have kept a spreadsheet for every cent I've spent on the hobby to date. Just on $3k now and will be going for a Castle 2650kv and ESC combo as soon as Towerhobbies have them in stock.

It is very addictive and I intend on running 4s with that motor.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Huski185 View Post
    dully noted..... I didnt want to add weight to mine.

and Crackelator dang man 4s.... Im gaining skill but I am no where near ready for that speed.

(I think my wife is keeping a spread sheet on me.... shes an accountant.)

RC Racer
    dully noted..... I didnt want to add weight to mine.

and Crackelator dang man 4s.... Im gaining skill but I am no where near ready for that speed.

(I think my wife is keeping a spread sheet on me.... shes an accountant.)
    Mine weighs around 8 pounds which includes the metal roll-cage, 500gram battery and the rest of the modified truck. On 3s with stock gearing I peak at 50mph (80kmh) but not sure how much of that is wheels spinning when on full throttle. Either way, whatever it is, it feels fast and all I want is to be able to run like this with a cool motor which is why I'm going the 2650kv.

Quote Originally Posted by Huski185 View Post
    They are a little heavy because they are made to take mental bashing and love it....peace

RC Qualifier
    In December, my wife said she wanted a new range ($600). I said we couldn't afford one. She said, "I think I see my new range racing around out front with Zeus (our Doberman)". (The 4 pede is actually worth two ranges at this point, and then there's the backup 2 pede.). Needless to say, she got the new range. Didn't want to pursue that one!