RC Enthusiast

Are my LiPos done? What is the best monster truck ESC to get?

I am a complete begingger into this awesome hobbie, and bought a used E-Maxx 3905, which he converted to a brushless. I am not familiar with the the 3905 model, but i believe it was a 2007 model. I have been bashing my truck in the snow latley, and it is not water proofed. After a week of snow bashing, i went go plug my LiPos in to my ESC after 5 hours of sitting the ESC started to smoke, and took it off about a a second or 2 later and i know it is shot. Are my LiPos done too? I have read a couple other forums that said it is a could idea to throw them out, but at $80 a peice. . .

ALSO, what is the best ESC to to replace it. The owener before had a HPI Flux Blur esc, and i am thinking of buying the new Mamba Monster 2 which claims to be water proof, and buying an overtray. Sorry for the long post, and a reply would be greatly apperciated.

RC Champion
    Your LiPos are probably fine. I run mine in the snow and muck all the time and have never had a problem. They aren't water-PROOF, but they are highly resistant.

Two questions:

1. Are your LiPos puffed at all?
    2. Do you have a cell checker? A voltage check will tell you what you need to know!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Enthusiast
    They have hard cases so they seem to not puffed yet. Can my charger tell me that if i plug in the balance board?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Complexd View Post
    They have hard cases so they seem to not puffed yet. Can my charger tell me that if i plug in the balance board?
    Not sure about your charger's capabilities, so you might want to read the directions on that. When I plug my packs into my charger, I do get a voltage reading. However, a cell checker costs $5-10 and is much easier and quicker to use. It can check the voltage of the individual cells as well as the total pack voltage. Plus, you can take it with you...

Check the voltage of each pack, and preferably each cell, then get back to us...

RC Champion
    Just an FYI, that HPI Blur is a Castle Mamba Monster esc.
    You could call up castle and see if they will do an out of warranty upgrade to the Mamba Monster 2.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Enthusiast
    Like I said, I bought the truck used. And the previous owner converted it to a brushless so I guarantee there would be no warranty. I am buying an Outerwear overtray so is it still worth buying a a Mamba Monster 2, the water proof one? Or should I spend a little less and just get the Flux Blur. ?

RC Enthusiast
    I have a onyx 235. I don't live in a city or near a hobby shop it is hard for my to hust gonout and buy theae products And I have to rely on reading forums.

RC Champion
    I have a onyx 235. I don't live in a city or near a hobby shop it is hard for my to hust gonout and buy theae products And I have to rely on reading forums.
    Understood. I would just order yourself one of these little guys:

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamite-LiPo-.../dp/B004I57E1G

RC Champion
    Like I said, I bought the truck used. And the previous owner converted it to a brushless so I guarantee there would be no warranty. I am buying an Outerwear overtray so is it still worth buying a a Mamba Monster 2, the water proof one? Or should I spend a little less and just get the Flux Blur. ?
    I said "out of warranty" upgrade. They do flat rate replacements of castle branded items, but you can always ask about the used hpi esc to see what they can do. Be nice to get a mamba 2 for $80 if they will do an out of warranty replacement on it.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Enthusiast
    Would i talk to Castle through the Website, or just go talk to a local hobby shop, because i already the shop to order a mamba 2 in for me. :s