RC Competitor

New Owner Questions About Gears. Please help!

Hi, i just bought a traxxas 4x4 about a week ago, and i have a question about changing the gears so that it can go faster. i saw the chart on the box and it says that i need to change the spur and pinion gears to 19/54 in order for it to get to top speed. I mostly just drive it around in my front yard jumping it off curbs; no track racing.

Does anyone have suggestions on which parts to buy or instructional videos or things to help me put in these parts? should i just go to my local hobby shop and ask them to hook me up? Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Caution! Using a higher gear will gain speed at the cost of running higher temperatures. With the stock motor, limit use of higher gear ratios to brief speed runs with cool downs in between. Lower gear ratios will run cooler and have more peppy performance(but not as high of a top speed).

RC Competitor
    Ok, thanks. If I want get the top speed as high as I could without changing the gears, should I use lipos?

RC Champion
    Use a 3S lipo. 2S won't gain you any speed. However, you still need to be aware of the extra heat generated by the motor, be it from a 3S lipo or a gearing change.

RC Competitor
    Ok. Thanks

RC Champion
    If you want to go faster than you can obtain on 2s Lipo and 15/54 gearing then its time to look at upgrading the ESC/motor combo. 3s is pushing the limits of the velineon ESC, I cooked one on 3s and 14/54 gearing.

If you read up here a bit there are more posts on ESC/motor combos than you can read in a day. A very popular combo for added power while not going over the top is the Castle MMP/2400kV and wont hurt too bad in the $$ dept. There are more options to go even faster but anything past the above mentioned combo starts to hit you pretty hard in the wallet. Personally Im running the Tekin RX8/ T8 2650 combo and it has more power than I will ever need. Best part is once I installed it and geared it tall at 24/50 and ran it on 4s and it never got past a bit warm my temp gun isnt needed any longer as it will take what ever I throw at it and not break a sweat. Some run the Castle MMM/2200kV combo and 6s to get just plain ludicrous! If you go that route be prepared to replace broken parts as that is more than the mechanical limits of the truck can handle.

A 3s lipo will gain you more power and speed. I highly suggest you keep an eye on you motor temperature. You don't really want it to get over 180. The best cheap insurance in my eyes is a heatsink with a single fan. It will help cool the motor. Stock gears and a 3s lipo got me a best of 46mph, when I ran the stock system. I don't know if you have been told yet, welcome to the forum and the addiction! !!
    Member of the 10,000 posts club

RC Competitor
    Thanks. I have a single fan on my engine right now. Do you think that I need it to go 60 now, or should I just leave it a little slow so I don't break too many part? Thanks again

RC Qualifier
    Leave the fan on, geared 19/54 your truck will run for less than five minutes of speed runs before it goes into thermal shut down. Going real fast will wear on parts faster mainly stock driveshafts. The stock brushless runs hot even with stock gearing just keep an eye on your temps to prolong its life. Lipos are the only way to go upgrade as soon as you can.

RC Competitor
    Ok. Thanks for the help

RC Champion
    Remember the faster you go the less time you have to react and the harder you hit things.