Thread: clutch upgrade

RC Qualifier

clutch upgrade

Im going to be changing the spur and clutch bell gears(parts ordered) for more off the line torque. I figured since i have it apart would be a good time to upgrade the clutch. As i have found there are so many choices for clutches i was wondering what my fellow Revo enthusiast use.
    "You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Qualifier
    I'm using the hot racing 3 shoe alminum clutch I like it it engages way better then the stock junk with my big block
    drive it like you stole it

RC poster
    the stock clutch is utter *edit*, get the m2c 40mm 3 shoe
    Last edited by Double G; 01-11-2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: language
    Revo 3.3 chassis / LRP .28

RC Racer
    I have tinkered with almost every single part of my Revo, down to custom cutting stainless steel screws to perfect lengths. One thing I have never had the need to change is the clutch. The factory clutch has worked perfectly for me from day one, and has also held the torque of an OS 21TM flawlessly.

I have seen my mates run three shoe aluminium clutches for a gallon or two, only to change back to the factory style clutch. They have however on swapping back used the replacement offering from MIP. It is the same style/design as the factory version, but has an additional two holes for a different engagement setting. It seems to work really really well.

Are you having problems with the stock clutch not working?
    TRAXXAS...................Should be :- KIXXAS.

RC poster
    carbon shoes provide no where near the "snap" created by alloy.
    Bashers tend not to look after their alloy clutches as they need the edges filed etc and this is where their problems start.

traxxas includes a plastic clutch so it allows the beginners to experience the ease of nitro acceleration at a soft launch and not be hard to control. and doesnt require much work to keep it going, but really it makes for horrible LSN tuning and poor acceleration due to slippage.

My theory on the traxxas clutch is it pushes out too soon and almost bogs the motor down and with slipping , thus creating a very blunt sound the TRX engines make upon acceleration.

I have gone back an fourth between the stock clutch and m2c on a STOCK Revo 3.3. the difference is in the huge power output, the m2c lets the engine spool just a little longer and then snaps out an grabs the bell(this was tested on same day with exact same tune around midday to not let weather changes effect the tune)

m2c = wheel spinning torq, and something revo 3.3 owners seem to want... WHEELIE POWER

as for the time the clutches last, i dont know how long the plastic one lasts as i dont use it because it sucks, im getting ATLEAST 2 full gallons out of my m2c's even without much work on them this was with onroad use alot so excessive wear is accepted.

i will anyday use a alloy over plastic, sure it makes for more work but the extra power is sweet and is absolutely worth it.
    Revo 3.3 chassis / LRP .28

RC Champion
    The stock Revo clutch is not plastic it is a carbon composite shoe. As far as saying it sucks that would have to be opinion generated because we have championed this truck along with others running only stock shoes. I am very familiar with Mitch's equipment as we race 1/8 scale as well and it is all top notch. It depends on the application and the result you are after but to sound like there is this huge power loss with the stock clutches and as if it can't make wheel spinning torque I will have to disagree. But I will agree that M2C's clutch are an excellent choice as well with the proper maintenance.
    2009 Florida State Monster Truck Champion
    RBMods

RC Qualifier
    I have 2 gallons on my stock clutch. Bashing mostly. IMO the stock clutch is very nice.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

I too have no complaints with the stock clutch. Set up leading edge vs trailing they bite a little harder but do wear a little shorter. I've heard positives regarding the aforementioned M2C set-up and rave reviews of the Buku (and it's biggest supporter Al Morancy).
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    +1 on mitch's m2c 3 shoe for the traxxas revo 3.3.
    has provided me the little bit more GO! i was looking for.

RC Qualifier
    TY for all the great suggestions.

I have another question. The clutch bell gear. I plan on running a 40t spur/14t clutch bell. Do to me ordering parts at 3:30am i some how ordered a 16t bell lol. Any way when i went to re-order the 14t bell i found a 13t bell and 12t bell. Also i found clutch bells that were vented. Are the vented clutch bells worth getting? Is 13t and 12t bell to close of ratio? I dont want to be flipping my Revo over backwards just taking off and id still like a lil top end speed lol.
    "You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Champion
    If you go with a 14 tooth bell make sure you have bearings for it. It takes 10mm not the 11mm.
    2009 Florida State Monster Truck Champion
    RBMods