Hi, I'm a total newbie with electric.
I've read on several threads about the motors have been broken in.
Being delivered today is a new summit with the 8.4v nimh's.
I plan on running nimh's for a while.
What is the best steps for me to get the best life out of this motor?
Run it in low and slow for a couple sets of packs. Don't mash on the throttle.
You can also elevate it on a coffee or paint can, set the throttle trim so it turns the wheels at a nice easy pace and busy yourself near by for 20 mins or so let everything cool and repeat.
Basically you are shaping the brushes to the commutator for more efficient electrical flow.
When a motor and brushes are new the brushes only contact the cummutator at its tangent point. After break in the brushes have the radius of the cummutator worn into them and therefore more contact area and efficiency. See my crappy illustration below...
This is just a basic illustration but should help you get the jest of it.
After break in pull the motor and clean with RC electric motor cleaner and lube the bushings at each end of the can with 3in1 oil or similar lube. Reinstall and go have fun.
Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect
CongratulationsDrive it reasonably for the first couple of rounds of packs. No full throttle takeoffs and reverse wheelies. Take this time to familiarize yourself with the controls and features. There are several theories for getting max performance and/or max life from the 775. This seems the most popular. It's also most like the break-in procedure in the manual, read it
14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods
+1 happy, a picture is worth 1k words
14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods
My first couple of packs i ran at light throttle around the back yard.. Give your summit a once over before you run it. On mine the steering was off center due to one servo being adjusted way to long this also created the servo's fighting each other. Also my speed control was not set properly i could only get 1/2 throttle out of it.. The only way i could get things to program again is i had to do a reset on the remote and then reprogram speed controller. Then i had to turn on servo reversing since i did a reset
So just curious, is the reason people use the water method to break in their motors because the water removes the debri (like the material from the brushes) and keeps it circulating instead of just building up elsewhere in the motor and causing problems and reducing the life of the motor?? This is my theory anyway, but I am new to this and have read oodles of posts on breaking in/not breaking in motors.
Thanks for the replies fella's, it's much appreciated
She's all charged and ready to go, I've had a little drive around my living room lol (and over the kids)
I'm curious to here this water break in method?
I dont understand any this. It'd not a gas motor. WFO baby, they last forever and are cheap to replce
So I take it that's a no go on the old fashion water break in when I get my summit in next week?
I have broken in many many electric motors and have done everything from installing and driving it hard, to putting it in water. I have found the best way is to get a product called com drops, it is an electric motor break in fluid that is designed to help break in, and seat motor brushes, which can increase RPM, plus keep commutator clean during break in process. The water method works on the same principal as (eg. wet sanding with fine grit sandpaper) and allows the brushes to fully seat to match the shape of the commutator. In any case the water method is cheaper but with the com drops you do not have to remove the motor.
Every 775 I got, melted. I did a rigorous "water break in", a light "water break in" and a no "break in"(business as usual). They all failed in the same spot within a couple months, the brushes. I gave up on brushed motors. Brushless motors don't need broken in and don't have any brushes to fail...
PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless