RC Competitor

Moving the ESC on rustler

I am just wondering if anyone has moved the esc down into the well on a vxl rustler? I am thinking opposite the receiver case on the port side. As stated previously, I crash a lot and the front anchor point on the esc plate broke today and I lost the screw (yep, lots of those loose). I have been thinking of moving it for a while because I don't like how the wires rub against the fins on the esc. Also, I could probably put in a bigger battery if I moved it down.

RC Qualifier
    Go for it. All you need is some double sided tape to hold it down.

I've got three Rustler and the ESCs are all mounted on the side.

Here's one of them:
    Bashin' n' crashin'

RC Competitor
    Nice! So you don't drill through the body to hold it in place? I was thinking about that because of the way it is mounted now.

RC Qualifier
    definitely gives you more room for a bigger battery,,,,,
    [IMG][/IMG]

Mine has been on the side so long I forget that is not where it is on a stock Rustler
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-15-2015 at 11:24 PM.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Best place for the ESC if you ask me.

Here's a couple pics of mine

My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Champion
    It raelly helps lower the centre of gravity for improved handling so go for it! Just make sure you use a good quality tape to secure it and clean and key the surfaces before sticking it down. I use (1:1) car body trim tape - it's both waterproof and heat resistant and works a treat.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Racer
    Yup go for it that what I did. And it's a lot nice to have it lower down
    the only thing more fun than bashing is upgrading!

RC Competitor
    And you never have issues with it popping loose during a crash? This is great! Going to do it today.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamboniman808 View Post
    And you never have issues with it popping loose during a crash? This is great! Going to do it today.
    I have not had any problems with it coming loose, However I don't bash the heck out of my Rustler, but have rolled mine plenty of times with no issues. The key to proper adhesive is to make sure both surfaces (esc back and chassis) are super clean before installing. Just use some alcohol on a cotton ball to clean each surface, which will dry very fast. Try not to touch the tape with your fingers, as the oil's from your skin will effect the stickyness.

I personally use Parma servo tape on mine. Which I have used for years on escs, servos, etc.

It is a clear super sticky silicone tape, that holds great, but will also remove fairly easy, and not leave any residue behind. I can pick up my whole car by grabbing just the ESC.

You will also have to trim off the mounting ears on the ESC (if your using the VXL) And you may need a servo extension wire.

I re-routed all my wires, and did a little bit of dremel work to run all my wires in a more neatly fashion.

HERES a thread when I did that (that was before I went to all black chassis.)
    Last edited by dave00bear; 02-16-2015 at 11:16 AM.

RC Competitor
    Thanks Dave! That looks good. Now I just need a dremel too!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamboniman808 View Post
    Now I just need a dremel too!
    HAHA....No hobby room is complete without one!

RC Racer
    Anyone use Velcro? I just recently used some to hold down my ESC and it seems to be working quite well. I've never tried the servo tape...how does it hold up to the dirt? I used double sided mounting tape a few years ago and the dirt would always loosen the adhesive causing it to come off constantly.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogg2112 View Post
    Anyone use Velcro? I just recently used some to hold down my ESC and it seems to be working quite well. I've never tried the servo tape...how does it hold up to the dirt? I used double sided mounting tape a few years ago and the dirt would always loosen the adhesive causing it to come off constantly.
    I used velcro for a while and it worked ok but I still prefer double sided tape. It worked because the ESC was sort of wedged in there between the edge of the chassis and the battery tray so it didn't really have any wiggle room to come loose. Although it would still come loose sometimes after a good cartwheel or bad landing.

I had the same problem with the double sided tape at first too. Dirt would get in, and debond the adhesive after a while. The way I got it to work eventually was using better tape like 3m Extreme or Loctite Power Grab, then I'd put a bead of plastic dip or liquid tape around the edges to seal the dirt out. Haven't had any problems since.
    Bashin' n' crashin'