Threaded View

RC Competitor

New Rally 1/10 owner, seeking basic advice

Greetings!

37y/o hobbyist here.... 19-year AF vet.... retiring in just over a year. 25 year musician..... semi-pro car builder/restorer/hotrodder/ and amateur race driver...... Harley Davidson enthusiast..... and lover of alll things excessive, senseless, and expensive!!

A few weeks ago a co-worker brought his Traxxas Rustler VXL into work during the Holiday season when work was slow (your tax dollars hard t work)... he let me drive it.... and it brought be back to my childhood through my early 20s when I was huge into RC cars..... Had an RT-10 if I recall.... or something like that. At the time, it was relatively high-end.

Nevertheless, I have been on the hunt for one myself.... and finally pulled the trigger on a 1/10 Rally a couple hours ago. Should be arriving early next week! After much research, I chose it because of it's on and off road capability and versatility... keeps things interesting.

No batteries, chargers or anything yet.... just the car.

I've owned/built/restored over 30 cars in my day.. half were new, the other half were classics. Everything from Vintage Porsches to Classic Trans Ams..... to modern Subarus. This R/C thing is an extension of my passion for cars..... and also an additional hobby to keep me busy while I travel. I'm a mobile instructor in the USAF.... which means I am travelling about 4-5 months out of the year, in 2 to 5 week "chunks" at a time. 2013 will bring me to Florida, England, North Dakota, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Italy.

Which brings me to my next point. I know the Rally is relatively new, so there isn't a lot of aftermarket support (yet) for it..... but I am absolutely DETERMINED to build this Rally to match my 2006 Subaru WRX. Color, wheels, etc. I plan on purchasing several sets of wheels with various tires, obviously upgrading to a 3S Lipo..... and obviously engineering a way to properly mount an aftermarket WRX 1/10 body on to it.

I've done quite a bit of reading... gearing, suspension, batteries, chargers wheels, tires, etc.... but any good advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated

My motivation: My 2006 Subaru WRX - Stage 3 turbo, 390 hp, big brakes, full coilovers, etc. I've been building it for 7 years and have well over $20k in receipts. I built it to run at Miller Motorsports Park on the track when I was stationed in Utah..... and it did quite well

Anyway... looking forward to meeting everyone. Thanks!

This a couple years old.... next to the 78 Brat I spent 2 years restoring:

Last edited by ninefourteener; 01-09-2013 at 12:04 AM.