RC Enthusiast

Stampede with Sidewinder 3/4600kv 1406

Hey everyone,

I recently got a 2wd Stampede. I'd like to go brushless and had been looking at the castle sidewinder 3800kv combo. However, they recently released the Sidewinder 3 and it's bundled with the 4600kv motor.

I've heard that there is less you can do with gearing, and there may be more heat issues with the 4600 and less torque. However, the combo price is really good, and being waterproof is important to me. I'm not sure how big of a deal these compromises would be with the 2wd.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

RC Champion
    The 4600 is still a 4 pole system so it will work well in a pede. Not as much power as the 3800 but its special. Its basically a 550 rotor shoved in a 540 can. One benefit of the 4600 is it will be easier on the drive shafts.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Yeah, I have no experience with this system, but the general idea is that if you are limited to solely running 2S packs, this would be your most optimal system. The 3800 runs 2S well and 3S also. The 2400 is pretty much a 3S system. I think there should be consideration to the weight savings when comparing a brushless system's motor size and the battery pack the drives it

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I would much recommend the 3800kv Castle Motor over the 4600kv. You will have more fun and not have to worry about heat. The 4600kv would be perfect in something like a Slash or Rusty. As they run smaller tires and such. JMHO
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    The 1406 4600 SV2 combo can run on 3s lipo. The 3800 draws to many amps to be used with the SV2 esc on 3s. And considering how many people ran the old CM36 4600's in their pede's the 1406 4600 will be right at home. The 3800 sidewinder combo is in some ways better. Especially now that the newer versions have a fan. But the extra power will cause other problems. So it comes down to a choice of poisons.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Diggerpede, point well taken. Stampede tires have the ability to bring the temps up. Interestingly enough, I thought one of the bigger suprises i read on the boards came from Dad who ran the 4600 system on 2S in a p4de with some success.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    Diggerpede, point well taken. Stampede tires have the ability to bring the temps up. Interestingly enough, I thought one of the bigger suprises i read on the boards came from Dad who ran the 4600 system on 2S in a p4de with some success.
    Yes he did and had no issues at all. I think it all boils down to how you drive, where you drive, and your ambient temps. I live way down in the south near the coast. Summer temps are not the funnest and tend to warm up the motors a bit faster. Someone who lives in a cooler climate will not have the heat issues that I may have. A few other things play a factor to, like airflow, and aluminum motor mount and plate (Sl4sh/P4de). Those are all cooling options that can help keep things in check.

OP: The only reason i'd recommend the 3800 over the 4600 is less worries. IMO Running the 3800 on 2S you can gear it pretty dang high for the speeds you are probably looking for. My Digger is at 19/83 on 2S and I get around 38mph at which i'm using the MMP ESC. If you decide to go 3S i'd highly recommend you going with the Castle MMP controller or scan ebay for the ET-3S (Traxxas/Castle version of the MMP). They don't have it as a waterproof option at the moment though. The MMP is one tough little ESC and will do pretty much what you ask of it.

Hope this helps with some of that poison above. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    I would much recommend the 3800kv Castle Motor over the 4600kv. You will have more fun and not have to worry about heat. The 4600kv would be perfect in something like a Slash or Rusty. As they run smaller tires and such. JMHO
    i completely agree with Digger. In the Pede, Id run the 3800 only. U should get em seperate, I think in this case the cost isnt crazy different .. get the sidewinder 3, and the 3800 off ebay

Btw..... Why are we having this discussion anyways? The Sidewinder Combo COMES with the 3800 ALSO! hmm... At least the 2 did. I dont see the 3800 combo listed on their site with the Sidewinder 3 though. hmm...

Personally... id buy em seperate... Ur gonna pay about the same thing.
    Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 01-09-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

Btw.. On this note. If u see in this pic, Wheres the rubber, and seals? The Sidewinder 3 is waterproof, yet it looks JUST like he 2..Where is the waterproof Seal? There is NONE.. U can see right through to the silicon board ...

Why?

There is about to be an explosion on waterproof electronics. Not just in RCs, but in Electronics period. There was a new technology released, that allows manufactuers to put a very thin layer of film over ur silicon board, that keeps it waterproof. Word is u will soon be able to do it, (or already can) to ur phone and such. Looks like thats exactly what castle did.... Cuz it doesnt LOOK waterproof. Yet it is.

RC Qualifier
    Probably used the product called liquipel I saw a video a long time ago on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    Btw.. On this note. If u see in this pic, Wheres the rubber, and seals? The Sidewinder 3 is waterproof, yet it looks JUST like he 2..Where is the waterproof Seal? There is NONE.. U can see right through to the silicon board ...

Why?

There is about to be an explosion on waterproof electronics. Not just in RCs, but in Electronics period. There was a new technology released, that allows manufactuers to put a very thin layer of film over ur silicon board, that keeps it waterproof. Word is u will soon be able to do it, (or already can) to ur phone and such. Looks like thats exactly what castle did.... Cuz it doesnt LOOK waterproof. Yet it is.
    Old news. People have been doing such things for ages. Back in the day people would just use dielectric grease. More recently people have been using stuff like corrosion x to waterproof RC components. Even Castle has said all their products are coated with something to make them water resistant. All they are doing now is adding a few extra coats. Traxxas takes things to the extreme. I would be interested to know if they actually bother with repairs.

Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    While I have pretty limited experience with high end speed controllers, I really like how the motor connectors plug 'directly' into the speed controller like on this sidewinder. I wish the battery leads were the same way. After a good amount of bashing one of my battery wires finally tore off the board. I tried soldering it myself and ended up frying the MMP. 75 bucks later, lesson learned. But in the interim, I looked around at some other esc's. I really liked how the lrp ones looked with the bullet connectors placed directly on the board, but I just didnt feel like taking the time to research their performance. The Castle stuff is really good IMO

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    Old news. People have been doing such things for ages. Back in the day people would just use dielectric grease. More recently people have been using stuff like corrosion x to waterproof RC components. Even Castle has said all their products are coated with something to make them water resistant. All they are doing now is adding a few extra coats. Traxxas takes things to the extreme. I would be interested to know if they actually bother with repairs.

im confused why u still make it a point to raise the argument. However... No its not old news.. Its not plasti dip, or some other silicon type products. Why arent phones on the market and other electronics waterproof now? Why is the VXL full of Rubber Gromets. There has been an Improvement to an already existing technology. Not old news " .... Updated.... " But Updated technology, is still "new" tech.

Btw... Its a very "thin" film. Im not saying the Sidewinders 3 is this...(but im hinting at it from the pic) But its not what Traxxas used, and its not Corrosion X, or anything commonly known. Its a very thin layer of film over the silicon. That does not effect heat release much. With how thick the layer is on the Traxxas ones, it explains why it cannot release heat very effectivly. There is gonna be a waterproof boom on the electronic market. (not just RC)

RC Champion
    Common electronics are not waterproof because its bad business. There is more money to be made from people who got their electronics wet. This is also why waterproof products cost more money. Company's must also consider repairs. If everything is coated then more time and money must be spent to repair it. There is also the matter of most products not needing to be waterproof.
    Oderint Dum Metuant