Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC Racer

Gecko's 1/16 Revo

Hello all, New guy to the forum, but not new to RC. I have had several other mini and needed something fresh, so now I have a MERV.

Gotta say I love this thing. Its my first brushless system vehicle. The stock suspension does leave alot to be desired. Combine that with the stance and the tires, its a flip happy machine.

I just put my first temporary upgrade on it...It was some old wheels I had laying around (I believe they are old Stampede wheels with some Proline tires).

The differance between 2.2s and the stock. I have yet to run a fresh pack with these on.

I am thinking about going with some Axial VWS 2.2 wheels (if they are true beadlock wheels) with some Proline Dirt Hawg tires when I get tired of these and want change ( as well as have the change to actually buy them).

So. Any tips for me, or ideas?

Not trying to talk you out of beadlocks, but do you know that performance suffers with beadlocks?
    There are LOTS of beadlocks bought for these little guys collecting dust on shelves.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Racer
    I know they are heavier but I've head they can also help with handling as they are adding weight closer to the gound therefore lowering the center of gravity.

Thanks for your concern though. This thing will never be raced. Just for some on street abuse and some back yard bashing.

Any advise on how to adjust this super soft suspension?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would check out hpi 2160 rims. They really help.with rollovers and are lightweight. Mine with dirt hawg tires are 10.5" wide!
    For the shocks maybe some 80wt oil and traxxas tan and black springs or you could go with stiffer summit purple or blue springs
    Last edited by 50togo; 01-08-2013 at 10:46 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Yea I know I bought a set of the titus beadlocks and ran them once and took them off. And than I bought a new truck to use them on. lol dang sickness I tell you....Yea the HPI rims are great. Only kind of rims I run on my MERV....

RC Racer
    Do either of you have videos or pics? I'd like to see this setup.

Ya, I never cared for the Titus look. They arent bad or anything, but I've been eyeballing the Axial Rims for the look, more so the VWS line (without the inserts).
    I have yet to run with the 1/10th truck wheels on the road so that'll be the taker on what I get. If they are a major improvement, I will look into 1/10th rims.

My main reason for looking at beadlock is that I hate removing old tire that are glued on.

RC Racer
    Well...I'm sold on truck 2.2 wheels for my MERV. Great handling.

RC Racer
    hpi 2160 rims will work better. Trust me I have beadlocks that I ran twice and are sitting on my office shelf collecting dust. I do occasionaly roll them at my desk when bored or as pc monitor raiser lol.

I have my erevo lowerd a bit and installed sway bars. The sway bars help with the combination of the 2.2 wheels.
    Last edited by linux38; 01-09-2013 at 09:06 AM.

RC Racer
    Anyone have an idea on what tire would be good for mostly street with some backyard bashing (dirt, light mud, gravel) for a 2.2 Truck rim?

RC Qualifier
    jconcepts rulux wheels with goosebumps tires, light, cheap, and they look good!! the only downside, is because of the soft compund the tire is made of, they will wear pretty quickly on pavement. i think you can get em pre mounted for around 16$ on the bay. I do the same type of bashing your talking about for the most part and i love mine.
    addicted much....

RC Champion
    Keep in mind that an offset rim (making the stance wider) is going to add extra strain to your axles, knuckles and bearings.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Racer
    Ya, Im noticing that. And I just stripped out my servo gears.

Looks like just a single tooth was stripped.
    Last edited by geckoboy86; 01-09-2013 at 01:58 PM.

RC Competitor
    Hi geckoboy86,

Just call Traxxas support, they will change it under warranty.

RC Racer
    I contacted them via email with video and pictures...

Kinda considering getting a metal geared servo. I have heard from others that I can use Hitec 85MG as a direct bolt in. Now is that the HS-85MG or the HS-5085MG?

RC Racer
    Hey all, Quick Question, Can I use the Grave Diggers Green Toe Links and push rods on my MERV? Im not a huge fan of the Red. I know I could dye them black but I am really liking that green.

RC Qualifier
    Yes you can use them. I used them on my build, untill I swapped out for Aluminum links and steel hollow balls...the 85 and 5085 a direct fit. Well not completely direct there's a couple tabs to cut off so it sit's flush and also pick up a aluminum servo arm....Check out my Build on here pretty sure I put up which servo arm I used....I run the 5085 and I love mine...I did do some cutting and sanding to my servo arm..

RC Racer
    Thanks BomberSTi. Got a link to your build?
    And are you by chance a Subaru Fan?

RC Qualifier
    Here ya go...
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Bomber-s-Build

Yea very much so..lol I have a 2005 STi.....

RC Racer
    I have a 95 Legacy and I steal alot of parts of GD style Imprezas (including WRX and STi). Subarus are like legos.

RC Racer
    Ok, Time to get back on track with this build/project.

Went to my LHS today and they didn't have much so I didn't get any rims or tires, I did however get to feel the difference between the 2 Proline Rims. The beadlock rims are noticible heavy and thats something I don't want. Thanks for talking me out of it.

I did pick up some paints for future bodies, a 26t pinion (installed), some shock oil and some RPM bumpers (installed). I'll be doing an online order here soon for some new springs, a body, the steel hollow balls and maybe some wheels and tires.

Other news, I got tracking on my new servo, Tuesday.

RC Racer
    I did do another order. Got some wheels and tires on the way as well as the much recommended tan and black springs.
    I did pick up some dye for my rims when I get them (which looks like that order is also saying tuesday)
    Its gonna be some combination of this.

Must admit I'm a Subaru Enthusiast and there is nothing better then a blue or silver car with golden colored rims.

Also I swaped out my shock oil with the oil I got at my local shop. This is the first time I have done that. It wasnt that bad.

I am looking into new shock bodies. Any recommendations? I have never put shocks together before so I'm more so looking at full shock replacements that still work with stock springs but I am open to even ones I need to build as I should learn how to do this at some point.

HR shock bodies seem to be a forum favorite... cheap and don't leak when assembled with TRX seals.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Racer
    And I ordered them as well as a new body for the car. I think I have a problem.
    Any good tutorials on how to put shocks together?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    are you rebuilding them also or just switching over to the hr shock bodies? as jimmie said use traxxas seals not the hr seals .hardest part is filling them with oil.add oil and work the piston slowly up and down to remove the air . make a stand ( i punched holes in a box) to hold the shocks and fill with oil about 3/4 of the way an let them sit for about 30 min and let the air bubbles rise then add a little more oil and take the bladder and place on top. a little bit of oil should overflow and then put the cap on pretty snug but not as hard as you can

RC Racer
    Just switching bodies. The filling with oil part, I got that down.

RC Racer
    Just waiting on USPS and UPS to show up with some new parts. A green colored Servo that is a 390DMH. Some new wheels and springs as well.

Tomorrow is UPS with a Proline slipstream body and HR shock bodies.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice. I would remove that green part and those numbers!

RC Racer
    Would if I could but the edit button isnt there anymore.
    Got the new springs installed, wheels are dyed (not the golden color I was looking for, more orange, lot more orange)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What color do you plan for your new body?

RC Racer
    Dunno, I was gonna Subaru it out with gold wheels and blue paint...Still might do that.

New shoes compared to old.

Dying

New look

Also have my new servo installed.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks nice! I would run the tires the other way!

RC Qualifier
    No goldies, but this was our first attempt at the swrt body (sadly a bug body)

RC Racer
    Hey, a bug still has a flat 4 in it. Awesome work... And I realized I had the tires on backwards for the pics as I uploaded them.

RC Racer
    Broke my second part. The steering arm that connects the servo to the center bit. Not sure what its really called. Its the same piece that has a second arm on it for a second servo. Whats a good replacement?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Stick with stock! Its a weak link and did its job

RC Racer
    Ok...thanks 50.

RC Racer
    Got my HR Shock bodies installed. I like the results.

RC Racer
    Replaced some bushings with bearings. Well worth it.

TRA5124 Bearings 4x7x2.5 for Rockers
    TRA5114 Bearings 5x8x2.5 for Bellcrank

RC Racer
    Heat sink time.

And my drivelines to the wheel, right one up front and left one in the rear look like they have oil on them. Any ideas? Diff leaking? This vehicle isn't that old, hasn't been bashed much (under 20 runs).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast