RC poster

Easiest way to tell if its the motor or speed controller that died?

Hey all. I tried to find something about this but couldn't find a proper answer so here goes. I fired up my Summit today and it drove for about 3 or 4 minutes then it just turned off and was unresponsive. The evx-2 controller was hot but the motor was mostly cool. I'm assuming the controller went bad but figured I'd ask before I shell out the cash to replace it. My summit is stock everything/brushed/nihm batts. I didn't smell anything burning but I'm not sure if its the motor or the controller and wanted to know how I could check both.

Ultimately I'd like to get lipo's and go brushless but just not cost effective right now. Settle for my lil guy to just work for now haha. Thanks much!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-06-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Language

RC poster
    You could disconnect the motor at the bullet connectors and put power from a battery to the motor and see if it runs. If its not old I'd call traxxas support.

RC Champion
    Hooking batterirs straight up to the motor will work. If it's in the truck the truck might takeoff so watch out. If you pull the motor it might jump when you apply the power. Make sure to use good thick wire or it will melt.

Other than that do you have a buddy you can try your motor on his esc?
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Qualifier
    Last week mine did exactly what you just described. I have two summits, so i hooked it up to the other one to check. Dead.. they are a chunck of change too!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by markman View Post
    Last week mine did exactly what you just described. I have two summits, so i hooked it up to the other one to check. Dead.. they are a chunck of change too!
    I know I be bought a few of them and they are not fun to replace ( I mean on my wallet lol )

Traxxas has a lifetime warranty program for most of their electronics.

http://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-L...onics-Warranty

The EVX2 is $50 + shipping to them for the US.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Now thats some awesome info! Thanks Jimmie. Ill make the phone call tomorrow and get mine sent off!

Your welcome!
    On the bigger ESC's the warranty program is a great deal.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I went through 3 775's on the same EVX-2. the 775's melted and/or caught on fire, the problem was in the brushes, they ripped out, melted, or something.

Well, the problem was probably my finger on the throttle, but my brushes failed religiously. Check your motor brush alignment. Since the 775 is disposable, as in, not serviceable, its a paperweight if it fails.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless