Thread: Diablo Vs Mamba

RC poster

Diablo Vs Mamba

Just got my summit a few days ago. Broke a steering knuckle but have replacements on the way...but that's not the problem.
    I knew the summit was of the slower traxxas models but I know they can go faster than stock. I want to be able to keep up with my buddies slash's and Pede's. Also need to be able to out run my dog

Looking for opinions on the following motor/esc.

The Novak Diablo combo.
    http://v2.teamnovak.com/products/ind...roducts_id=435
    or the more common Mamba Monster 2200
    http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...a_monster.html

Both are about the same price.
    Will be running with 2x Team Orion 6400MAH 7.4v 35c 2 cell LIPOs. Also have a spare set of Traxxas 3000mah 8.4v 7 cell NIMHs.

Anyone with first hand experience on the Diablo?
    Anything else I would need to run said combos? Different gearing and or connectors?
    Also are either of these water proof or will I be Plasti Dipping these?
    Have another recommendation?

RC Competitor
    I have zero experience with the Novak, but I recently put in a mmm 2200kv in my summit and I love it so far. I like how I can enable crawler reverse and drag brake. I did set the punch at 60% to give it some more slow speed control. It doesn't have as good of control at takeoff. It does cog just a bit, but it's not bad at all. As soon as the truck starts to move it stops cogging. You won't be disappointed with the castle system. And the ESC will need to be waterproofed.

NOTErized!

RC Qualifier
    for waterproofing brushless esc's could you put it in a water tight box (one like the radio receiver box), run the cables out then seal the holes water tight with silicone or something like that, then because the esc will over heat with no air flow run a snorkel out the top and out the body shell? making sure no water gets in where the snorkel goes in of course, just cant go deeper than the snorkel, also are the brushless motors them selves water proof/resistant?

Two points of knowledge
    #1 that diablo system with that puny 550 sized motor is best suited for "true" 1/10 sized trucks. Even Novak admits that "conservative" gearing must be used in erevo/summit sized trucks. ( read: overheating is a possibility)

Point #2 the Mamba now comes in waterproof flavor

TASTY
    Last edited by noir 522; 01-05-2013 at 03:24 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

If you notice they mention the e- savag and the " classic" emaxx. Both trucks are quite a bit smaller than the summit.

Now if you are a die-hard novak fan than look into their Active8 speed controller and their larger ballistic 8 motor. They seem more powerful and durable and still sensored

MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Two points of knowledge
    #1 that diablo system with that puny 550 sized motor is best suited for "true" 1/10 sized trucks. Even Novak admits that "conservative" gearing must be used in erevo/summit sized trucks. ( read: overheating is a possibility)

Point #2 the Mamba now comes in waterproof flavor

TASTY
    ****, should have checked this thread before I ordered. I did order the MMM but wish I would have known to look for the new version... Has it been released? Is this why tower hobbies said discontinued?
    Guess I'm buying some plasti-dip and running an outerwear.

RC Qualifier
    If you just ordered it, most places will probably allow you to return it as long as you don't use it. Worth checking on if you'd rather get the WP system.

RC Qualifier
    +1 on Novak ballistic 8. Or any "sensored" system. That mamba is going to cog when crawling or any very low speed obstacles.....which is kinda the point to owning a summit. Otherwise you would have bought the e-revo....right? One of our friends did the Mamba. Shortly after he seemed to regret the choice.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhammer2u View Post
    Otherwise you would have bought the e-revo....right? .
    Nope, pretty sure I bought the summit because it's a beefed up revo with bigger tires and locking diffs. The second low gear is just a bonus. You think because the names are different one can go faster than the other? I enjoy a fast truck that I can beat on and if I feel the need to crawl I can swap the Titan back in. I'm pretty sure this horse has been beaten one too many times.

RC Qualifier
    You won't have to swap a Titan back in to crawl if you have a sensored motor. You get to keep up with your friends AND have low speed fun. You asked for opinions and that was my point. But if you want to spend all that money to have a Summit that goes "click click click" and little throttle control at low speeds, you should have said so. I would have recommended the Castle.

RC Competitor
    I ran a few more packs through mine with the castle in it today. You will like it. I was hesitant to do it cause I heard the cogging was bad, don't worry about it. Mine still crawls pretty good, and all around seems to make the summit better. I have some hills around my house that are pretty rutted up and are covered with sticks and rocks, before when stock it would either get hung up, flip over, or spin out. Now it will fly right up. Kind of like one of them really high horsepower 1:1 buggies. I will say very slow crawling is a little more touchy, but for how I use my summit it works great. I just need to plastidip the ESC now and I'm set.

NOTErized!