Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Would You Have Done? Was I Wrong?

Hey guys, I was over at my local park driving my Summit, and there was some softball games going on. I was driving about 150-300ft away from any spectators or softball players, and I was just driving around. The next thing I know is this VERY large lady came over to me screaming at me to get off HER park or else see would call the cops. I asked her what did I do, and she said, quote, "Your disrupting my softball game with that * F word* toy car, so get off of MY park NOW!" Ok, what really ticked me off is the use of the foul language, she insulted me and my Summit, and she thought she owned the park. I'll admit, I got really mad at that point, so I "yelled" back, "THIS IS A PUBLIC PARK, I HAVE JUST AS MUCH RIGHT TO BE HERE AS YOU DO!" She then said I don't have the right to be here because I was causing a disturbance to a public area, (How? It's quiet.) and I needed to leave or else she would call the cops. At this point she was making quite a scene, so I left. What could I have done to make her THAT mad? Was I breaking some law?
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Nope... none. I would have stayed and let her call the cops. You were right that its a public park (assuming it IS a public park and not owned by a company she owns or something). Im going to assume also that you were driving in a more mellow fashion. If you were out doing donuts and jumping rock piles in a way that made people think the truck COULD fly into the softball field maybe I can see a reason to come over and talk to you. BUT... there is NEVER a good excuse to treat ANYONE the way she did.

The problem here, people feel entitled far too much and far too many people grew up without being taught common courtesy and manners. Im a "dont take crap" kind of guy in situation I know I am absolutely not wrong. I would rather have her call the police, have them come and tell HER im fine than give in. But that would likely cause alot more hassle than it would be worth making me partially wrong as well. I know, convoluted thinking.

At the end of the day, IF you were driving in a reasonable, safe and unobtrusive manner and IF the park is, in fact, public. You were totally fine. She just needed to yell at someone to make herself feel big and important. Maybe she was hungry.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 04-10-2013 at 09:29 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Man thats stupid makes me mad to think about it,

You should of edited out due to being inappropriate

(Making a post about chasing animals or people, intentionally hurting people is inappropriate on this forum)
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 04-11-2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Inappropraite comment
    Stupid 50 character Limit!!!!!

RC Racer
    I would of told her to call the cops, and I would've kept on driving while I waited for them to get there.. I bet she wouldn't of even called the cops. Seriously, the police have other things to deal with other than someone driving an rc car at a public park.

In the end she would have been the fool for wasting every ones time, and disrupting the softball games more than your truck ever would have. But something tells me she doesn't think that far ahead, and thinks more about herself, instead of others.

Just to spite her I would go back and do it again the next time there are games going on.. But that's just me haha.
    T-Maxx 3.3/E-Maxx/30th Digger/1:10 Summit/Rustler

Awww
    That's just rude 👎👎
    People like that are just.. They get on my nerves..

But you didn't do anything wrong.
    At least you handled the situation well 😁👌
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    People are insane.....people just like to yell at other people for no good reason.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I would have just kept driving the truck a safe distance from the game. And said exactly what you said. But not screamed it...
    Learning to keep your cool in tense situations is one of the best things about getting older.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    Not sure how it would have ended...but I definitely would have made her have to call the police to force me to leave.

Now if she had come up to me nicely...and asked me to stop driving the car or drive it a little farther away from the field...it would be different.
    But bark orders at me...combined with threats and cussing at me...and you for sure won't like the results you get.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Champion
    Honestly, I would have just ignored her and if she kept jumping down my throat she would have gotten a mouth full back. I'm not very good with my temper though.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

My response would have been pretty simple... "Don't bother calling them... I will call them for you. You see, I have the chief of police's home phone right here so we don't have to go through the switchboard."
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

My responce would have been simple, I would have dailed 911 and had the cops come for an insane fat women screeming at the top her lungs obsinites at me, and verbly assulting me and threating violence against me.

Unless fatty owns as in has the deed to said park in her name, send it packin as it ain't hers. In no way would I let some insane fool run me out.

Your softball game is interupting my RC time.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    I am only turning 15 in 4 days, and if it were me at my age, I would have said go ahead and call the cops. You were not disturbing anything or anybody, you were just having fun with a RC Truck. Now leaving was the way to avoid any trouble, but if you were driving your Summit easy and not doing anything, the cop would probably just have told the lady to calm down. He probably would have been really interested in your Summit too!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Like a couple of the others said, you should have let her call the cops because once you would have explained your case and told the officer how she confronted you, she would have been in the wrong and by rights you would get away clean.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Enthusiast
    Just go back there every time they have a game when she's there and drive your car

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    If you like driving that spot, I would go to the police, tell them what happened, and ask if you are allowed. Show them your truck and keep it in low gear!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-11-2013 at 12:52 PM.

RC Champion
    It was probably that your summit was more entertaining than the game and the players was watching your driving than concentrating on the game. I don't know how different the law is, but in the uk, swearing at someone is classed as threatening behaviour. In a public place it's even worse, and more worse if it is someone under 16, so the crazy lady would of been arrested.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

I just found out there is another softball game tonight... I'm going to go back to the park with my Summit, guess I'll see what happens again. If she is there again, I'll let her call the cops, because there is NO law or rule saying I can't be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I just found out there is another softball game tonight... I'm going to go back to the park with my Summit, guess I'll see what happens again. If she is there again, I'll let her call the cops, because there is NO law or rule saying I can't be there.
    Verify all signage in the park... Some public parks do have signs stating Radio Controlled models of any kind are not permitted.....

If not, and she shows up. Be the one who stays calm, have a peace offering like some $5.00 set of flowers and say you did not mean to make her so upset. If she still says she is calling the police let her know you will be right here so we can settle this dispute. OH,, and have some friends or your parents around as witnesses showing you tried your best to work it out...

If she explodes in front of the cops wait your turn, don't interrupt, wait for the police to come to you and ask questions, just don't interrupt you will get your chance to speak.... This usually puts in in the better light with the police so they can figure out there's a female control monger on the loose and not a rowdy teenager... Remember they have no clue as to what's going on until they get BOTH sides of the story...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

Sounds like this lady was in the wrong and handled the situation very poorly. That being said IMO you are stooping to her level by intentionally going back when you think she will be there to stir up the problem and likely escalate it. If you really are going to do this I would make sure there are no laws or park rules you are violating. I would call Parks and Recreation or whatever it is called in your area and the Police to make sure you are in the right. Just last week someone posted about a guy getting a ticket for destruction of public property for running an RC in a public park. If this all boils over and the Police are called out their main goal will be to diffuse the situation and you never know what obscure law they may deem you in violation of.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    We are excited to hear what happens. let us know later
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

I'm not going back to the park looking for trouble. I'm going back because it's the only place I have to use my Summit. I'm going to stay at least 300ft from the softball field, as again, I have no reason to stoop to her level and try to get revenge or get in her way. She is just a low life person that felt the need to make herself look tough by yelling at a 16 year old teen. If she feels the need to yell at me again today, then that's her problem, not mine. I'm not doing anything wrong, I'm just enjoying a public park with my hobby.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 04-11-2013 at 10:41 AM.

I'm not going back to the park looking for trouble. I'm going back because it's the only place I have to use my Summit.
    If you say so but your previous statement kind of sounds like a contradiction to me...

I just found out there is another softball game tonight... I'm going to go back to the park with my Summit, guess I'll see what happens again.
    Going back at a time you know the chances of her being there are high gives me the idea your intentions are not so innocent....just saying how it appears to me.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Ya, it looks that way... What I meant to say is when I go back to the park, if something happens, so be it. I don't mean for it to sound mischievous. I don't want to make a scene. Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 04-11-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Hopefully she was a spectator from a visiting team, and all will be well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Verify all signage in the park... Some public parks do have signs stating Radio Controlled models of any kind are not permitted.....

If not, and she shows up. Be the one who stays calm, have a peace offering like some $5.00 set of flowers and say you did not mean to make her so upset. If she still says she is calling the police let her know you will be right here so we can settle this dispute. OH,, and have some friends or your parents around as witnesses showing you tried your best to work it out...

If she explodes in front of the cops wait your turn, don't interrupt, wait for the police to come to you and ask questions, just don't interrupt you will get your chance to speak.... This usually puts in in the better light with the police so they can figure out there's a female control monger on the loose and not a rowdy teenager... Remember they have no clue as to what's going on until they get BOTH sides of the story...
    Well stated.

Cool heads usually prevail.
    If you learn that now, you will have an edge!
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    If you say so but your previous statement kind of sounds like a contradiction to me...

Going back at a time you know the chances of her being there are high gives me the idea your intentions are not so innocent....just saying how it appears to me.
    I agreee there's no point in smacking a hornets nest with s tick only to tick them off.... But also if there are no rules stating he can not use the public park to drive his RC, then he has rights as well....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Racer
    That's ridiculous! She had no right to tell you to get off the park. I've been kicked out of a public park before but that's for flying a 450 size heli and that's understandable. But for a truck?? Let alone an electric truck that is quiet!
    Don't let her ruin your rc fun. I say go back to the park, ignore her, and just have fun with your awesome and expensive summit that you have to the right to drive (responsibly) any where you choose.

I say go back to the park, ignore her, and just have fun with your awesome and expensive summit that you have to the right to drive (responsibly) any where you choose.
    You state that like it is an absolute right to run our RC trucks wherever we want whenever we want and that simply is not true. Like I suggested I would make certain he is not violating some rule, public ordnance, or law before I pushed the issue. Simply assuming it is ok to run the Summit in that park could be a big mistake.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    Let it go and be the bigger person ! Move on and find a different location or at least find out the
    rules and regulations for the park !

Yep, Thats why I said go to the police(with a supportive parent could help. By the way, what do they think about this? Her using profanity against a minor may be illegal in your town...), explain what she did, and ask them if you have the right to be there. If not, the police may just fine you both for involving them, when they could be handling a more serious matter. Just make sure all your ducks are in a row.

RC Qualifier
    When somebody goes looking for trouble they usually find it. Especially when I'm around and they never like it when they get it. The police always listens to the nicest calmest person. And if someone is hostile when the police are there they will go to jail for that if nothing else.

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    Summits can only go like 15-20 mph. It's like driving a very large and slightly faster toy grade. But stay calm whatever happens. And check the laws one more time.
    Drive. Crash. Fix. Repeat.

RC Champion
    I think the lady probably over reacted to the situation, but something happened that set her off. What you think was far enough away from the game may have been very distracting to the players.. who knows.. I have several parks near where I live and other than helicopters, never had a problem there. I won't run a nitro there however.. Not everyone loves the sound like we do..LOL
    On that thought I wouldn't go back there looking to see what happens.. You will most likely lose the argument and possible have your Summit confiscated. Who knows who this woman is. She could be a Freeholder, town planner, parks commissioner or even on their staff. You might be messing with fire here. Just find another suitable place to run as far away from the ball field as possible.
    As many others have stated before me, also check to see if you are even allowed to run there at all.. Alot of parks don't allow motorized vehicles of any sort and last time I checked the Summit is motorized.. In NJ where I live the parks are OK to run as long as someone doesn't complain. If you get a complaint you have to stop running and leave. I've been told by The Park Police and local police that its not debatable.. but I've never had a problem.. I am careful where I run in public places however and don't want to disturbe anyone.. Honestly, I don't like the attention most of my vehicles cause.. People getting too close is always a recipe for trouble.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    With many people i see, the problem might not be with you or what's really going on, but maybe that person is just cranky or having a bad day. Or as Pave stated earlier, she might just be hungry. I say try finding somewhere else to run because going back anywhere near her is just a recipe for disaster.
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Racer
    hmmm staying tuned

Sometimes you do have to stand up for your rights and yourself. Just make sure your in the right.

RC Qualifier
    waiting to see what happened.....
    Sony Action Camera, My new toy

RC Qualifier
    I would been like OK you call the cops I'll call Jenny Craig
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Qualifier
    sounds like her child was not very good at softball and she needed an excuse for him/her? therefore blamed it on the fact the truck was distacting maybe? either way your not causing any noise above what would be considered a disturbance so that pishposh..
    the only concern there could be is if it was busy and a lot of people around and your going fast it can cause injury.. but again the way on which she has acted is inapropriate and you could have easily reported her for that. here in the uk its called a public order offence where you cant swear etc and if you felt she was being aggressive and abusive which it sounds like she was you can add that to.. if she was an official or representative you would hope that she would behave in a better way.
    the key is remain calm at all times, dont be dragged down to that level and you should have picked up the truck called the police yourself and explained the situation, dont let people behave or treat you like that... or to save time and the hassle next time take a twinkie and trow it, she will take chase, problem resovled,,,lol

why dont you call the local authority/park and try to investigate a little asking if its ok to run your truck there speak to the park warden/ground keepre or whoever owns it, speak to the police ask them there opinion even record the call adn take names for future refferance, you cant get in trouble for being responsable and researching the do'es and don'ts etc., even explain what happended. I would.

the other week I caught some woman flytipping, I told them I was going to report them she gave me so much abuse swearing at me and then flashed a police badge??? I got on my mobile phone, next thing I had 2 police officers arrive trying to attain my details and telling me the woman had reported me for being aggressive??? and threatening her kids, she was sat watching???? Im like, what, after an hour of standing up to my rights remaining very calm adn polite at all times, I was speaking to her boss pretty high up in the police, she was in fact a police woman... turns out she didnt want to push the charges and in turn appogised, I still reported her for fly tipping to the local authorites fordumping rubbish, have that I thought...
    Last edited by RevoDeano; 04-12-2013 at 03:27 AM.

I called the city, and they said I was in the right. As long as I'm not harassing people or causing double, I can do what I want. So, all is well.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 04-12-2013 at 11:00 AM.