RC Enthusiast

Thicker shock oil in the rear.

Hey guys. Just finished modding my 4907 and have found the rear to be a little slap happy. Do you guys run a thicker oil in the back to slow down the shock action ? I want max ride height and it is to be setup for bashing. I'll give you the full list to better explain the setup and bigger picture. I also have the biggest preload spacer on the front 4 and the biggest and second biggest preload spacer on the rear 4 shocks.
    Thanks.

My list of mods are..
    RPM front and rear arms with a true track
    RPM front and rear shock towers
    RPM front axle carriers
    Traxxas front and rear al bulkheads
    Traxxas big bore shocks
    Traxxas white progressive springs ( 40wt oil all round)
    Pro line trencher x on desperado wheels
    Robinson racing 21 tooth pinion
    Traxxas throttle & steering servo mounts
    Futaba S931 steering servo
    Stock Traxxas steering servo on throttle
    Traxxas front tubes
    Last edited by scootr; 01-28-2013 at 06:56 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Of course.... think about how much more weight is back there than there is on the front, the engine and fuel tank are both heavy compared to everything on the front. I would ditch the Traxxas springs and get some RC Raven Dual Rate's off of eBay. A good wt. fluid to use is 55. You may want to make the front a little heavier if you feel that it's bottoming out also.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks. I forgot to note that I have also done the violator tank as well. That took the fuel tank to the middle.

RC Qualifier
    You're going to find it next to impossible to control with all that preload on the springs. Been there, done that, for the same reasons. Very squirrely and difficult to control. I wound going with 55wt oil in the shocks and running 1 thick shim on only 2 shocks in the rear. Still handles decently and really minimized the slap in the rear. If you don't have them already RPM wear plates are a priceless addition.
    Desmosedici RR

You need a stiffer spring, AE MGT springs fit the Maxx shocks & are heavier in spring rate then most others.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    Which mgt spring do you recommend.

And does anyone know the weights of the traxxas progressive spring?

Thanks.

Depends on how you use your truck.
    You can mix different spring's on the same arm to get the desired suspension effect your looking for.

25062 4.40 in/lbs, Blue/Soft
    25642 5.10 in/lbs, Gold/Medium
    25643 5.95 in/lbs, Red/Firm
    25065 6.90 in/lbs, Copper/Extra Firm
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    I'm running the dual rate mgt springs from rc raven and I love them. I also only have stock shocks and stock oil and 1 large preload spacer on each shock in the back. Handles awesome off road and have no problems doing high speed passes. They do make the truck sit high so the truck will flip over if trying to corner at high speeds or if the ground is really grippy. I think they work best for Bashing, not so much at the track.
    T-Maxx 3.3/E-Maxx/30th Digger/1:10 Summit/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys.

RC Qualifier
    I am running 60wt in all shocks. One hole pistons in the back, with one big spacer. I still have two hole pistons in the front, with no spacers. I also have the white progressive springs. It works good for me bashing and jumping. With 6 to 10 foot air, it never really bottoms out. I like my setup with out the bounce, so the suspension works more like it supposed to. You will just have to play around and see what you like. Integy also has a pretty good spring selection. I got some for my rusty.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

Suspension rules of thumb.

1. Use springs to set the firmness of your ride, not Preload spacers.
    2. Use Preload spacers to fine tune your ride height.
    3. Shock oil is used to set the rebound speed of your shocks. The thicker the oil the slower the rebound speed and the more dampening. The thinner the oil the less dampening and the faster the rebound speed.
    4.The more firm the spring the thicker the oil needs to be in most cases.

Now if you find when you nail the throttle offroad and you seem to lose traction too easily under power,,, chances are the oil is too thick causing the rebound speed of the shock to be too slow, when it is too slow the wheels do not maintain contact to the surface enough when going over bumps and you lose traction, go to a lighter oil...

If you shock oil is too thin, you will find your ride to be bouncy and hard to control at higher speeds.... GO thicker....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??