RC Qualifier

Carnage, but why?

hey guys I need help troubleshooting this issue.

Two or three times now the front driver side wheel has locked up or been very difficult to roll. The truck was skidding it was so stuck. The first time or two once I loosened the 17mm hex to take of the wheel off it freed up. (MIP X duty with 17mm adapters). Both times the inner part of the adapter (the part above) had come loose from the end of the axle. Last time I made super sure it was tight and the nuts were dead flat on the flat part of the spindle.

Tonight it happened again but the wheel was totally locked. I couldn't move it at all. Once I got the hex off and wheel the drive shaft still didn't even move. If I recal correctly the other times the driveshaft did move once I had the wheel off. All of the other three wheels moved fine still last night. So I tore it apart and once I got the diff open everything started to move freely. The diff is stock, but I run it hard with a 3800KV motor and 3S. I know tonight for sure I was really hitting it hard try to get it out of some deep powder (snow). Hard throttle then brake, then hard throttle. I'm sure that's what lead to the split of the MIP part. Still I'm confused what actually locked up.

I took the diff apart and the only thing I found wrong was part of the bushing or O ring was missing from where the output shaft goes to the side that was bound up. Now my gut tells me that little rubber part would have been mince meat and no way it could have locked up the wheel like that but I don't know. Other then that I don't know what it could be. Yes, I know XO-1 diffs would be good and I am going to order one. However for now I am going to rebuild this one with 50K fluid but I don't want to be missing something. Anywhere I should look or anything I should consider?

RC Racer
    The diff bearing on that side?
    Last edited by Marioffroad; 01-26-2015 at 09:05 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Marioffroad View Post
    The diff bearing on that side?
    spins fine, no issues that I noted.

As I think about it it's strange to me the adapter split. To me that means the axle was obviously spinning. It wasn't buried in snow either so the wheel was spinning so it's crazy that the adapter split. However, something then locked up. Maybe it was just that rubber seal but that would amaze me. I'm not even sure the two events are related.

Is anyone else having issues with the Adapter piece coming off? I try and make sure I tighten the grub screws at equal depths. I'm real careful about having the grub screw come down on the flat surface of the axle as well. Seems fishy I keep having the issue at the same wheel.

Maybe it's worth taking it apart and double check everything is in order dudeplus email mip and see if they can help you out and replace the part...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I took the entire diff assembly out last night. Both bearings at the hub and at the diff output shafts look fine. I opened up the diff and the gears (spider gears?) and rod the go on plus the gear that enters the rear of the case and the ring gear all are fine. The only damaged part I found was the blue seal on the output shaft/gear on the problem side had a chunk of it missing.

At first it almost seemed like the adapter was getting hung up somehow and binding the wheel. Or the nut was self tightening binding the wheel. The first two times, once I backed off the 17mm nut the wheel (to remove the wheel and see what's going on) the wheel freed up. This was the first time the driveshaft was locked up. The other times it moved freely - though that was after the wheel was off so who knows where the actual problem is. I just can't imagine that soft rubber seal could jam up the power of that motor on 3S but maybe it could?