Getting ready to purchase my first Slash - a 2wd. 3 quick questions:
1) what would be the reason to get the 2.4Ghz transmitter over the AM version? Not planning to race - just bash.
2) what is a good NiMH battery to get? I'm looking for long run time.
3) if I buy an additional Slash body online, does it have to be specific to the 2wd version or will it fit the 2wd even if the product description says "4wd body?"
Get the 2.4 better range don't have to worry about changing chips if someone is on the same chan. Best part no antenna to break
Get a good lipo battery, in my opinion. A lipo battery runs constant power over the entire charged pack. Nimh batteries run strong at the start and then lose majority if their performance. Even though you are bashing your friends will probably all have lipos too.
For the stock slash with the XL 5 esc (stock esc with the Titan motor), I have been told that a lipo ratings should be a 2s, less then or equal to 30c, a 7.4 volts, and the mah rating doesn't matter as it is the "tank" you have anywhere from 5000 to a buddy of mine who has a 10000 mah tank and runs 45 minutes no problem, your mah rating is your run time....two 5000 mah packs will give you an hour probably on the stock powered slash..
I have been told to get a hard pack vs a soft pack. I have both and the hard pack I feel better with. I run 3 charged packs through my truck with limit downtime and nothing gets hot and is a lot of fun. I have venom packs and my buddies use SPC packs. Make sure you have male and female connectors for your pack to esc...my buddy just bought a duratrax lipo and it didn't come with a connector to be able to connect battery to esc. Ask wherever you buy it. Besides you will be running lipo packs when you switch to brushless as I am in the process of researching.
1. AM transmitters are lame! Not the same range, plus that annoying antenna Crock mentioned.
2. NiMh batteries weigh 40-50% more than LiPo (SLOWER); they can't dump their charge as fast (SLOWER); and their run times are dramatically shorter (LESS FUN). It's a lose-lose-lose situation when you use NiMh.
Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot