Thread: Trans Issue?

RC poster

Trans Issue?

Hi all,

New here. I picked up a used Revo 3.3 recently. Older model. I seem to have a trans issue... Not really sure though. I am new to the Revo so help would be appreciated. Here is what happens. The truck will drive, not really sure if it shifts. On my old Tmaxx you could here the shift, with this Revo I'm not sure. There is no definitive sound of the engine lowering RPM's as it shifts into 2nd, well IF it does.

The other issue. It will rev and not engage. I have to feather it out of the hole.

I have changed the slipper to the heavy duty hoping it would fix the issue but it has not. .

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Brandon

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lo1dakota View Post
    Hi all,

New here. I picked up a used Revo 3.3 recently. Older model. I seem to have a trans issue... Not really sure though. I am new to the Revo so help would be appreciated. Here is what happens. The truck will drive, not really sure if it shifts. On my old Tmaxx you could here the shift, with this Revo I'm not sure. There is no definitive sound of the engine lowering RPM's as it shifts into 2nd, well IF it does.

The other issue. It will rev and not engage. I have to feather it out of the hole.

I have changed the slipper to the heavy duty hoping it would fix the issue but it has not. .

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Brandon

My truck does not shift unless the motor is running well, seems like if i can't get high enought RPM's the tranny wont spin fast enough to shift. Is your engine tuned well and revving out good?

When the car revs and doesnt take off, can you see if the spur is turning or not? Maybe your clutch is going out?

RC poster
    I'm pretty sure the spur is turning. I think it could be tuned much better though. I haven't messed with tuning much since it doesn't like to engage all the time.

RC poster
    Someone suggested the one way bearing on the output shaft? Anyone?

Also my pull start doesn't engage hardly at all. Making it a pain to start. He stated that I may not need a pull start as I thought but it could be due to that bearing as well.

RC Racer
    Well for the pull start. Its probably the one way bearing. Take it out and clean it. Seems to be a common problem with the one way bearing with the ez start and pull start on these Traxxas. If its oily just won't engage.
    If it ain't broke, fix it till it is! BB Revo

RC poster
    So do you think that could also be my trans issue?

I agree with the one way bearing for the pull start. You may be able to save it by cleaning the OWB really good then putting the pullstart back together

One thing I would check before digging into the transmission is to check the clutch shoes. They could be really worn/broken which could result in similar symptoms as you are faced with.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC poster
    The sliiper? With the three shoes?

If you mean that I replaced it fir an HD one.

RC poster
    bump.......

RC poster
    If you rev it and it doesn't take off, you need to clearly identify if the spur is turning or not. If the spur is not turning, then the clutch is most likely slipping. If the spur turns and the truck doesn't move, then you may have sheared a pin inside the tranny, the slipper is slipping, maybe a broken front or rear diff if you have a center diff, or ???

You need to see if the spur turns or not first. That will tell you if the problem is before or in/after the tranny.

Don't assume because you put in a new HD slipper that it's not the problem.