Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    32

    I'm confused about batteries

    As someone new to RC and specifically a new Slash 5803 I'm confused by what batteries are compatible. Now my Slash motor/electronics are stock and I don't have any plans on changing in the near future. I currently have the NiMH batteries but have heard I can go straight to Lipo. I've also been told you can't use Lipo, it will burn it up.

    So what is the real answer here? If I can use Lipos without changing anything else then I'm all for it, if not I'll stick with what I have. The stock motor is more than enough for the track I run on.

    Assuming I can use Lipo, can anyone recommend a good brand and model (longer lasting the better, I get about 20-25 mins on a charge now). Also, I assume I'll need a new charger - suggestions there?

    Lastly, what are all the pros and cons between the two types of batteries? I'd really like to know.

    Sorry for the long post, but I'm a newb here and don't want to burn up my truck by not having enough info.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    317
    Ok you got a lot of questions.
    Ill start here, brushed motors BAD... but if you are trying to run lipos then you need
    Lipo that is 2s 5000mah no more than that, your ESC will not handle 3 cells, you will need to change gearing as your motor will get hot with stock 23/86 gearing, get something like 15-19t pinion. Good lipos are SCP or i prefer venom even though people post bad revies about them, GET A HARDCASE lipo, they will save you a lot of money, i almost burnt down my house cause of one softcase lipo, it was my mistake poking it haha...

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    317
    Pros Nimh: none
    Pros Lipos: more run time, bigger output, faster speeds and acceleration, more complicated in terms of compound, need to keep em safe, read all the instructions on how to use them.
    Cons Lipos: they are sometime dangerous, need special charger (mine is hyperion is 0606), very good

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cedar Rapids,IA
    Posts
    188
    First off, the stock gearing on the 5803 is 19/90 so you should be okay there. Second, I would not advise running a lipo with the Titan12t. You can do it but it probably won't last long. I would stick to the 8.4nimh with a stock 5803.
    The harder I bash, the more I can upgrade.

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    32
    Ok then, looks like I'll probably stick with what I have. I really have no need for more speed at this time, I was just trying to get more runtime out of the batteries.
    The only way I will upgrade to a brushless is if the motor will last significantly longer. At least that's my thinking for now, might change my mind as I look into it further.

    Thanks for all the replies, you were a big help.

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cedar Rapids,IA
    Posts
    188
    The brushless motor will last way, way longer. It's really worth the price. If you want longer runtime, get a higher MAH rated battery. I would get a 5000 mah battery. That should give you roughly 30-40 minutes depending on how you drive. Watch your temps running for that long though.
    The harder I bash, the more I can upgrade.

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Posts
    913
    You can run a 2 cell LiPo on that ESC, but not 3s or higher. You shouldn't burn it up on 2s. But NiMhs are good too, you don't have to worry about "did I set the settings right?" Or "will it burn down my house?" For ease of use and mid-class power, go to NiMhs. For maximum power and speed, go to LiPo. But the improper charge can kill you.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    317
    I dont know about others but my titans were lasting no more then 3 weeks each, after that they were all dead. With Velineon motor, i am at 8 months of driving it and had no issues what so ever... NO more brushed motors for me...

  9. #9
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,441
    Quote Originally Posted by BanditTransit View Post
    You can run a 2 cell LiPo on that ESC, but not 3s or higher. You shouldn't burn it up on 2s. But NiMhs are good too, you don't have to worry about "did I set the settings right?" Or "will it burn down my house?" For ease of use and mid-class power, go to NiMhs. For maximum power and speed, go to LiPo. But the improper charge can kill you.
    I'll give you IF a lipo vents it is more violent than when a nimh vents. That being said I think you are a little over the top on the warning about them. Lipos have become pretty mainstream and if treated with teh care and respect all batteries should be treated with the danger is reasonably low.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by Agriganosa View Post
    Pros Nimh: none
    Pros Lipos: more run time, bigger output, faster speeds and acceleration, more complicated in terms of compound, need to keep em safe, read all the instructions on how to use them.
    Cons Lipos: they are sometime dangerous, need special charger (mine is hyperion is 0606), very good
    The actual pros of nimh is that they are less expensive, more compatible, and you can configure the cells to get more voltage variations. Also notice that "need to keep em safe" is a con.
    0111001101101001011001110000110100001010

  11. #11
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Agriganosa View Post
    I dont know about others but my titans were lasting no more then 3 weeks each, after that they were all dead. With Velineon motor, i am at 8 months of driving it and had no issues what so ever... NO more brushed motors for me...
    Yes the Titans are junk, but that doesnt hold true for ALL brushed motors. I currently own a Trinity Midnight II motor. I have run this thing into the ground and back again and it still pulls just as hard as the day I got it. heres a little background on this tank of a motor. I got it as an upgrade for my King Blackfoot in 1998. I have NEVER once put a drop of oil in it, NEVER changed the brushes or springs, and have NEVER recut the comm. I have 0 maintenence time invested in this and it purrs like a champ. I have heated it up to the point of melting the glue for the sticker. It's been underwater, through mud, buried in snow. It has had the snot kicked out of it and begs for more. It was a $45 motor at the time. Moral of the story... spending the extra cash on a quality motor is worth every penny.

    That being said... my Titan died in my Stampede after 5 runs. I threw the Midnight II in it and started ripping wheelies in the yard. Even after trading away my Pede last week, I kept my XL-5 and Midnight II as backups since I know they are bulletproof reliable.

  12. #12
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    32
    Y'all have me reconsidering my stance on getting a brushless motor. I don't need the added speed, but the reliability seems much, much better than the Titan in mine now (I've already changed it out after about 15 hours because the bearing started going bad).

    Quote Originally Posted by devestator View Post
    Yes the Titans are junk, but that doesnt hold true for ALL brushed motors. I currently own a Trinity Midnight II motor. I have run this thing into the ground and back again and it still pulls just as hard as the day I got it. heres a little background on this tank of a motor. I got it as an upgrade for my King Blackfoot in 1998. I have NEVER once put a drop of oil in it, NEVER changed the brushes or springs, and have NEVER recut the comm. I have 0 maintenence time invested in this and it purrs like a champ. I have heated it up to the point of melting the glue for the sticker. It's been underwater, through mud, buried in snow. It has had the snot kicked out of it and begs for more. It was a $45 motor at the time. Moral of the story... spending the extra cash on a quality motor is worth every penny.
    Are these motors still made and are they still as bulletproof? Also, would it be a direct replacement to the 12T I have now with nothing else to buy? If so, I may try one for the fun of it.

    Thanks.

  13. #13
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,441
    Quote Originally Posted by devestator View Post
    Yes the Titans are junk...
    I see this type of comment a lot and frankly I dont thin ti is fair to the Titan motor. They are what they are, an inexpensive closed can dis possible motor. If you take the time to break them in and maintain them properly they actually are a pretty decent and powerful motor for what you pay for them. I think most people buy a new RTR and are so excited to run it they dont take the time to break them in and do maintenance then blame the Titan when it dies prematurely.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I see this type of comment a lot and frankly I dont thin ti is fair to the Titan motor. They are what they are, an inexpensive closed can dis possible motor. If you take the time to break them in and maintain them properly they actually are a pretty decent and powerful motor for what you pay for them. I think most people buy a new RTR and are so excited to run it they dont take the time to break them in and do maintenance then blame the Titan when it dies prematurely.
    The type of comment you see is actually IN MY OPINION IS TRUE. Like the post stated above the guy owned brushed motors and ran it through everything without any maintenance and it is still running strong. I dont think people would post comments about titans being dead after 5+ runs. U see the difference ? 14 years and 5 runs ?
    I agree that they are strong and some of them last long, for example my friends titan is already 2 months old and still running strong and he haven't done any maintenance, but still my went from new to dead in 3 months and couple of others in less then 2 months.

  15. #15
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    18
    Ebaneezer... the Midnights were discontinued long, long ago. In fact most of Trinitys old 27T line up hs been discontinued. before the invention of brushless, this was the standard ROAR/NORCA race approved type motor. It was a 27 turn single wind motor with a fixed 22 degrees of advanced timing. Reedy also made quite a few of these 27T motors as well. Last one I bought was the Trinity CO27 and that was about 3 years ago. All they have left in thier lineup that are brushed are the Speedgems line, and from what I remember, those are not nearly as hearty as the ROAR 27T motors. You could probably find them on Ebay. They had quite a few models over the years. Green Monster, Green Monster II, Midnight, Midnight II, P2K, P2K2, CO27, Chameleon, and a few others I cant think of.

  16. #16
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Agriganosa View Post
    The type of comment you see is actually IN MY OPINION IS TRUE. Like the post stated above the guy owned brushed motors and ran it through everything without any maintenance and it is still running strong. I dont think people would post comments about titans being dead after 5+ runs. U see the difference ? 14 years and 5 runs ?
    I agree that they are strong and some of them last long, for example my friends titan is already 2 months old and still running strong and he haven't done any maintenance, but still my went from new to dead in 3 months and couple of others in less then 2 months.
    Thank you for the backup. Breaking in a motor isnt everything. Most of what I have read about dying Titans is bad bearings. Break in only sets the brushes to the comm. Basically, they use cheap bearings in the Titan and since it is a sealed can, you cant even think about swapping them out. Once a tiny amount of dirt or mud gets in, the bearings blow out within one run. Its all a matter of luck at that point.

    Ive heard some good things about the Venom Fireball motors as a cheap reliable replacement for the Titan.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUH9&P=7 or http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUJ0&P=7

  17. #17
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    18
    And yes these motors are a direct plug and play.

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I'll give you IF a lipo vents it is more violent than when a nimh vents. That being said I think you are a little over the top on the warning about them. Lipos have become pretty mainstream and if treated with teh care and respect all batteries should be treated with the danger is reasonably low.
    I agree, with the right care that won't happen. But with a new comer I wouldn't zip to one of those bad boys first.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

  19. #19
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    3,680
    Go easy on dad, he's contractually obligated to be pro-traxxas.

    However I agree with pops when he says the titan's are disposable motors.

    Disposable..... as in wears out after very few uses right?

    Disposable as in goes into the trash after wearing out....

    What else gets thrown in the trash?

    Junk. I'm not saying the Titans are junk, they just seem to end up in the same place as the rest of my junk.

    pop quiz! Whats a titan sing in the shower?

    I got friends in low places......


    I kid I kid....

    However, there are several inexpensive brushless motors out there that will give you excellent performance. I think a lot of new users get carried away and buy too high of KV for their application. The brushless motor traxxas selected for the Slash is a 3500 kv motor... which is a pretty good choice. Unless you have a specific goal and use, I don't think there's any need to go higher in KV than that.

    If you want something that performs like a Titan, look for "stock" brushless setups. For racing I use a Novak 17.5 Ballistic, its been ok, but I wouldn't recommend it.

    Its also a 2200 kv motor.... thats good to know... because you can go out and look for 540 sized motors around 2200kv and know what you're getting.... (titan like performance, but reliable).


    Another fun benefit of low kv motors is you can put more voltage to them and end up with equal performance, but better efficiency than a high kv setup. For my speed setup I use a 1900 kv motor, but I run it on 6s.... I'm not going to claim to have the fastest slash there is... but my setup is pretty dang fast, and dead reliable.
    Last edited by ducati777; 05-02-2012 at 01:46 PM.

  20. #20
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Central OH
    Posts
    1,050
    Some thoughts:

    I have a spare Rusty with the Titan/XL5 with the low voltage detection and I have run 'only' LiPo in it with no problems.
    I do find the Velineon motor to be potent and so far with proper use indestructible and I have two of them in service both running LiPo 2s or 3s packs. It is a nice upgrade from a durability aspect and it gives you a nice waterproof package too.

    Maybe one step at a time, find a nice charger that handles your current NiMh and also will be good for LiPo. Look for a nice deal on the forum here for a Velineon system and make your change and I think you will be happy.

    LiPo isn't generally 'faster' as in top speed but has more guts and power and the potential to go high speeds.
    As far as safetu for LiPo, quality LiPo's with the correct quality charger and understanding any warning signs of potential defects will make for a safe environment and useage.

    Have Fun!!

  21. #21
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,441
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Go easy on dad, he's contractually obligated to be pro-traxxas.
    You have no idea what you are talking about here do you? I am not obligated and there is no contract. My opinions are my own and I openly admit I tend to be very pro Traxxas but not blindly or because of obligation or contract. There are a few areas I prefer after market parts and I openly endorse them, sometimes over a Traxxas product here on the Traxxas forum. Just a few examples that come to my mind are the STRC bell cranks over the Traxxas (for the Rustler) and my use of Castle power systems. When I bought my P4de I never even ran the VXL it was sold on ebay and a Castle system was in the truck on it's maiden voyage.

    As to the rest of your post. The constant bashing on Traxxas, even though you attempt to hide it has worn thin,,,in fact the it has crossed the line and ends now.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 05-02-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  22. #22
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    QLD, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    121
    I'm confused about the comments not related to Batteries.
    Slash, DynaStorm, Sakura S, MERV, E-firestorm

  23. #23
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2
    Not to say I dont love brushless because I do. I just want to put this out there. When propper gearing/ESC/battery and voltage control is applied to a brushed system it will last very long. Also unlike brushless brushed motors require cleaning and maintenance. I am currently on my 6th month running a traxxas bandit xl-5/8.4v venom batt/and a venom fireball 13t double motor. Which most put down these motors but it runs stronger and has lasted longer then some of my $50+ orions and suposedly higher performing motors. If I were you switch out that motor to something modified. If using stock xl-5 esc keep motor between 12-15 turns, and battery volvage no higher then 9.6v but i would stick to an 8.4 5000mah battery. But if you realy want that little extra punch make sure you heat sink the motor and every 5-10 minutes check esc and motor temps. But a non flamable air source to spray out dirt and dust from the motor durring runs and it also helps to keep it cool. Hope I was any help...

  24. #24
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,883
    Wow,lot of thoughts out there.
    A stock xl-5 can and will run 2s lipo all day long.Their 7.4 volts.
    A titan doesn't even have bearings,they have bushings.
    A brush less velienon system can last years, just change the bearings once every couple years,or according to punishment.
    3s is for kids who think they have to go 100 mph ,and wonder why there truck is always broke.In a slash anyway, 3s does have a place and a purpose,but it's not the slash.
    I have 21 lipos,1 3s 30c,1venom 2s 30c,19 Thunder power's ranging from 35 c to 65c,all 2s
    spc makes a good cheap lipo,I'm not knocking them,I could by 3 scp's for the price of one thunder power.
    But will by the thunder power every time,I race,that's it,thunder power win's.
    Get a good lipo charger balance,r,imo the 235 onyx is nice for about 80 bucks.
    Titans need maintenance,break them in,in a glass of water,oil the BUSHING'S after every one or two run's.
    And for $18 it will probable run all season,they weren't made to last.
    Last of all,lipo's properly maintained charged and discharged,are great battery's,not something for the kids yet.As people buy cheaper brands of lipo's,they become more unstable.You get what you pay for.
    If you want inexpensive,with a good safety and running record,go spc,If money isn't the issue,imo,get thunder power.
    Again imo,venom is poop,my one 2s 30c 5000 mah has the worst performance,and least run time of any of the lipos i have tried over the years.And their not cheap either,In fact they imo,weren't the greatest in the nicd-nimh days..Have fun rc-ing! It can be a lot of fun.

    PS, MAH is like a gas tank,the higher the mah # the more run time,it has nothing to do with power and or volt's,a 5000mah 2s, will simply run twice as long as a2500 mah 2s battery.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 01-03-2013 at 05:18 AM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,883
    THEY DON'T HAVE BEARINGS!! And if you don't let the brushes set in right their life will indeed be shorter..Saying they have bad bearings,sorry,but is only proving your ignorance on the subject.
    Hate to be the one to tell you,but it's 2013.
    Do you even know what type of magnet brush less motors use?
    Hint,there not man made.
    Quote Originally Posted by devestator View Post
    Thank you for the backup. Breaking in a motor isnt everything. Most of what I have read about dying Titans is bad bearings. Break in only sets the brushes to the comm. Basically, they use cheap bearings in the Titan and since it is a sealed can, you cant even think about swapping them out. Once a tiny amount of dirt or mud gets in, the bearings blow out within one run. Its all a matter of luck at that point.

    Ive heard some good things about the Venom Fireball motors as a cheap reliable replacement for the Titan.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUH9&P=7 or http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUJ0&P=7
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  26. #26
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    220
    Excellent information written clearly and relevant. Because of posts like this I learn something new everyday when it comes to my new truck. Thanks. To give you some background my last two RC's was the tamiya Falcon and then the Tamiya Blackfoot...that was about 1986.

    Thanks again.

    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Wow,lot of thoughts out there.
    A stock xl-5 can and will run 2s lipo all day long.Their 7.4 volts.
    A titan doesn't even have bearings,they have bushings.
    A brush less velienon system can last years, just change the bearings once every couple years,or according to punishment.
    3s is for kids who think they have to go 100 mph ,and wonder why there truck is always broke.In a slash anyway, 3s does have a place and a purpose,but it's not the slash.
    I have 21 lipos,1 3s 30c,1venom 2s 30c,19 Thunder power's ranging from 35 c to 65c,all 2s
    spc makes a good cheap lipo,I'm not knocking them,I could by 3 scp's for the price of one thunder power.
    But will by the thunder power every time,I race,that's it,thunder power win's.
    Get a good lipo charger balance,r,imo the 235 onyx is nice for about 80 bucks.
    Titans need maintenance,break them in,in a glass of water,oil the BUSHING'S after every one or two run's.
    And for $18 it will probable run all season,they weren't made to last.
    Last of all,lipo's properly maintained charged and discharged,are great battery's,not something for the kids yet.As people buy cheaper brands of lipo's,they become more unstable.You get what you pay for.
    If you want inexpensive,with a good safety and running record,go spc,If money isn't the issue,imo,get thunder power.
    Again imo,venom is poop,my one 2s 30c 5000 mah has the worst performance,and least run time of any of the lipos i have tried over the years.And their not cheap either,In fact they imo,weren't the greatest in the nicd-nimh days..Have fun rc-ing! It can be a lot of fun.

    PS, MAH is like a gas tank,the higher the mah # the more run time,it has nothing to do with power and or volt's,a 5000mah 2s, will simply run twice as long as a2500 mah 2s battery.

  27. #27
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,883
    I remember spending two days in my garage,helping my friend build his Blackfoot.
    Boy have things changed,but I must say,for the better.
    I'm sorry for getting out of line a bit there,but if you know what your saying,say it,if not keep it to your self.
    I know very little of the new rc world,even thou I have three trucks,and about 8 + grand invested so far.
    I learn from those more on top of things,and try to pass it on to others.
    I'm glad to here I helped someone to day.
    Thank you for the kind words.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •