Thread: Gear meshing

RC Champion

Gear meshing

I had a problem with my gear meshing one time and it chewed up my spur gear so I took my truck to my lhs and the guy got me a new spur gear and set the meshing just right. Now the only problem is I had to take it apart and now I'm not sure how to get the gear meshing just right. Is it just a certain noise so it doesn't sound like the gears are grinding?

RC Qualifier
    Read your manual it will tell you how to do it perfectly
    Racing in the Past, Present, and Future...MAYBE

RC Champion
    Take a small strip of printer paper, place it between pinion and spur tighten the motor adjustment roll the paper out and your done.

RC Qualifier
    Not too tight, not too loose, just a little bit of backlash in the gears. I set mine by sight and feel and that's the best way I can explain it... You can also use a small piece of paper. Put it between the pinion and spur then move the motor in and tighten it down. Pull the piece of paper out and you should be good to go
    No Limit RC of Maryland

RC Qualifier
    You want the slightest bit of wiggle possible between spur and pinion. I find the paper method tricky and not accurate. I go by sight and feel.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    Ok thank you guys. Sounds like I just have to learn for my self what the right meshing is by the way it feels and looks. I'll try the price of paper method and see how that works.

RC Champion
    I just do it by feel. I wiggle the spur back and forth to check gap from pinion. It should be close to dead tight but just a little play as you rock the spur gear back and forth WITHOUT turning the pinion with the spur. Make sure to check different spots like a clock 12 3 6 and 9 as due to manufacturing one spot may seem good and another way too tight and then just find a happy piont between the two.