RC Champion

Traxxas Fiero GTP customization and restoration

It came in!!!

Original traxxas 2001 S servo!

The last pic is where I'm gonna put the xl5 in the center behind the steering servo. The only issue i can see is finding rear wheels to replace the stockers to run at the local track. I may have to make an adapter if i can't find any. I noticed the stock chassis has quite a bit of flex so i will be ordering a 2mm sheet of carbon fiber to replace the stock chassis. My goal is to save the original parts as much as i can and have all the original parts to build it to factory spec and also to find stronger replacement parts for occasional track running and bashing. The only issue i can see with track running is the rear spur/diff breaking cause that will require another roller Fiero to fix that since there are no spares to be found currently. If yall find any stock parts, please pm me. I don't know if I'll do roar 13.5 pan car spec but probably not. But biggest i can see as stated is finding replacement rears to maintain the stocker tires. I also have the original nip old stock msc and a nip old stock shock. I may but another roller Fiero soon just to have a good lower chassis as this one does have one break.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

Looks like the start of a great project--enjoy!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    Thanks! Motor came in! I'll be able to run it tomorrow night.... I'll get some video for yall as well as this elusive bird evades the video camera well...
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Competitor
    Mandime,

Stoked for you dude. There really is a thing called Traxxas Vintage Fever. I have it. It is terminal. While I probably won't die from it; I can guarantee you I will die with it. That's deep man. It took a semicolon to puncuate it. No cure. Good luck!

Mark

RC Champion
    Thanks man! I don't know if ill be collecting the trx 1 or the other buggies as I don't have a track favorable for those 1/10s anymore within 2 hours.

Ran it tonight for a couple of minutes in the rain (fully waterproof) with the xl5/20t and a 2075 servo. It is a lot of fun and really fast! I need to take it to a more open area! Still gotta work out the kinks with steering as I barely have any turning radius.... This due to the servo horn in using as the original servo horn is superglued to the traxxas 2001 S.... So, I might as well buy a whole roller later to complete this one. I'll get a pic up of it in just a minute!

Here's pictures!

Forgot to add, I cut down slash body posts to fit in the front. I need two more for the rear. The 2s shorty also fits prefect in the middle! Once I make a CF chassis ill modify that so the battery sits in the center.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-12-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: merge
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC poster
    ManDime, nice work. That newie looks familiar
    Oh and YHPM!

These little cars can be fun, can't they? I used to have a non-Traxxas carpet racer like the Fiero, and it was definitely quick (15-turn modified motor)! The 20-turn in your Fiero should be a bit more manageable.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Wish I had the courage to drive mine, maybe one day...

He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    These little cars can be fun, can't they? I used to have a non-Traxxas carpet racer like the Fiero, and it was definitely quick (15-turn modified motor)! The 20-turn in your Fiero should be a bit more manageable.
    Yea the 20t should be manageable once I get the slop out and when I'm on a better surface. Yea I'm only running it currently since I haven't gotten the carbon fiber yet to make the chassis. If only the front springs were tunable. I think I may try to modify a slash sway bar and a couple of washers if possible.... That's a fresh idea so with time I may be able to make it.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Champion
    HOLY SMOKES! You wasted no time getting that thing running! I am so glad someone got it that is going to drive it.....congrats and have fun with it. I'm eager awaiting how its going to turn out when you're done!

RC Champion
    As am I! First check next week so ill be ordering carbon fiber sheets, and hinges and see if its even possible to make an adapting plate for the rear hubs to use jaco 1/12 wheels. This is a real easy car to work on too!
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Champion
    My .02 the stock chassis, although not super carbon or racecarsexy is very good, front suspenion has something to be desired but is durable and easy. The only real faults whith the stock car is the rarity of the drive gears. Even still i normally get a few years out of each set as long as i keep tabs on the gear mesh and use steel gears.

If i were to build one based on stock from the ground up, no budget, access to a full machine shop, etc i would start with a 3/32 carbon lower and 1/16th upper, use stock arms and stock pod geometry, i would try to mimick the bolink eliminator t-plate setup. Give myself some up and down adjustments on the inside mono shock mount, and most importantly go to aluminum rear pod with an rc12 or similar pan car ball diff drive gear. Or atleast a delrin version or the stocker.

Right now on my mostly stock beater ive got about an ounce of lead placed on the bumper and in the slots of the arms and in back a tc6 shock with kipps white spring, tires are proline mini-t sized road rages. 27t hand wound motor, xl5, 2075 and a waterproof rx box. Stainless screws and bearings, added an pan-oval wing and mounts to the pod and the back end sticks like glue. Its my wet weather play car and its a ball to drive.
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

RC Champion
    That's about on the nail of what I want to do with the car. My main goal coming spring will be to design a new rear spur/diff assembly or modify one like a 1/8 center diff... But I would do something to mount the wheels. By the end, I think all that's left will be a body and the front bumper probably lol. If I ever pass it on, I will be sure to have every original part.

Alright. Found a guy selling some three hole hubs. Hopefully they'll be in by thanksgiving weekend and maybe ill get to modify them to fit. I'm 99% sure I can do one side but I'm not sure about the other...
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-20-2014 at 07:56 AM. Reason: merge
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Champion
    Haven't updated yall in awhile! My bad lol. Well I ordered the carbon fiber . 1.5mm oughta be enough. I also figured out how to install an oil filled diff. Its a thunder tiger diff with a center diff gear from hot racing. All that's needed is a 5mm coupler and to widen the shaft holes on the motor mount side to fit the diff bearing. I plan to grind down some spare diff cups to place the standard 3 hole hubs on. I'll get pictures up when the parts come in. I also started painting the spare body with a new airbrush kit I got. I'll try to keep the chassis design about the same but I may turn the battery 90* to center the mass. I'll try putting the chassis specs into CAD if I ever have time after class. Soon yall will see some progress! Brushed is the way it will be for now.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Champion
    Sounds like you're having a BLAST with this thing! I am so glad you got it and its not sitting on my shelf anymore. Cant wait for pictures.

RC poster
    I just dug my fiero gtp out of the basement and put a new motor in it. Does anyone know anyone that has tires or any other parts besides just looking on ebay, all I can find it a body.

RC Champion
    Yea it took me forever to get tires. Redsawacs only one lead to front tires that were like new. I haven't seen any since. Its the back tires that are hard to replace. I'm gonna try and design a hub that fits over the rear hexes so that you can use the standard 1/12 tires.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC poster
    So are the front tires easy to find or did you find another option?

RC Champion
    The parts in general are hard to find. You can purchase any 1/12 front wheel and press bearings in the wheel. The shaft size is 5mm. it may need light sanding to get the bearing on it. I found the rustler bearings work. That's 5x11 bearings. The rears are not as easy. I'm gonna work on designing a hub to fit new 1/12 tires. That is once I learn 3D part of drafting.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC poster

Tires for GTP

Quote Originally Posted by saintlouis75 View Post
    I just dug my fiero gtp out of the basement and put a new motor in it. Does anyone know anyone that has tires or any other parts besides just looking on ebay, all I can find it a body.
    There are tires posted on Ebay

RC Champion
    I have seen TONS of parts on ebay lately to include tires....spendy, but they are there all the same!

RC Champion
    Got some updates for y'all! I found a way to mount a emaxx CD to drop the oilless diff. I'll upload pics in a second. Also found out how to mod the standard 1/12 hubs but this requires modding and a couple of bushings. Now for some pics!
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Champion

Now to buy some hinges for the lower carbon fiber chassis piece then show it off to the local on road carpet track! I am going to redesign the steering mech to accompany a servo saver and mount the servo further up to accompany a full size 2s.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP