RC Qualifier

Noob water break in

Here's the situation lol

I was thinking leave it for another half hour? It's been in for almost ten minutes

What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Champion
    As far as I know, breaking a motor in is just an old racer trick. You will notice the motor to be faster, but with a significantly reduced motor life as a result. I know everyone has a different opinion, but technically it is nonsense to say, "do the 30 minute water break in, OR ELSE!"

First pack or two, just run it a little easy while everything finds its perfect seat within the motor and then you're good. Traxxas sells millions of cars I'm sure, and it's rare to hear of problems, and I assure you that most people who buy Traxxas don't know a thing about this apparent necessity of a, "break in period" outside of what the manual says.

Either way, break IT.. and go sensored brushless with me! =)

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    I broke in my Dewalt with 3 "C" sized alkaline batteries. I ran it in water till they died. I then dried and lubed it. I'm sure there many different ways. The theory behind a wet break in is to get the brushes to begin seating while minimizing arcing, carry away contaminants, and keep things cool.

Used to do all my slot car motors that way (what's a slot car?? lol)
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Qualifier
    The batteries started losing power about 25 minutes in so I threw the fresh ones on and left it for another 25

I don't know I was bored lol, but yeah Krall hook me up with some suggestions

I want a tough sensored for dragging kids/ decent speed/ crawling .. how fast does your summit go now?

RC Champion
    I got the faster motor, but put the smaller diameter wheels on. 2100kv with the Big Joes and stock pinion and spur, isn't WAY faster but it's certainly faster. Faster than the Merv on anything but pavement that's for sure! I'd recommend the 2100-2400kv motor, and maybe an 18t pinion and stock tires would blow in no time! =)

RC Qualifier
    Hahah I'd be glad with 30mph, it's team Orion and a mmp right?

I still prefer the dewalt and evx for winter.being colder you can gear it up a bit for some extra top end.

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 12-14-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Where is it?

RC Champion
    The Merv is the Team Orion. The Summit is a different motor, 2200kv sensored, and the ESC is the MMP though yes! =)

RC Qualifier
    I'm still a fan of break it in how your going to drive it. I got a new motor in mine about a month after I got it and drove it like I just stole it and what's funny is that I have three summits now and the one that has that motor in it is geard down and runs nimh batteries and its faster then the other two with lipos and stock gears.