Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Lipos/Charger Questions...

Hey guys, I have a few questions regarding lipo chargers, and lipos. I've been planning on getting 2 Traxxas nimh 5000mah batterys for my Summit down the road. But, after looking at lipo prices and specs, now I'm not so sure what I want to get. I just found for the same price that 2 Traxxas nimh 5000mah batterys would cost, I can get two SPC 2s 8200mah lipos, for the same price! Wow, that sounds good! Untill I realized I would have to buy a lipo charger... So, what would be a good lipo charger under $120, that would be good enough to help my lipos (If I got lipos) last a long time. I also still want a charger that could almost guarantee that they wouldn't get damaged, puffed, or runined if I used it properly. (<My mom's wishes. )
    I just want to get a good enough charger, so that down the road I won't wish that I got a better one. So want to get a charger that I can be happy with, and enjoy, and get one that would be good for lipos. Thanks! -Wolfslash16
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    My reccomendation in that price range is the Thunderpower TP610C ac/dc
    It has excellent quality charge and balance software and will treat your packs extremely well. It has an 80 watt built in power supply and 10 amps of charging power. So you can charge a 2s pack at a full 10 amps. Your 8000's would take about 50 minutes each to charge. Or, you can get parallel adapters and charge both at the same time in about 1 hour 40 minutes.
    This is the charger I personally use as my travel charger and its been excellent. They go for about $115 shipped on eBay or amazon.

It is going to be hard to beat Pav's recommendation with that price cap.

The next step I would recommend is a 20amp iCharger 206B for about $125, plus $25ish for a SPS, and $20ish for a ParaBoard.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

Ok, looking at the lipo specs, a 2s lipo is 7.4 volts. But, the 7 cell nimh are 8.4, so, wouldn't that make the 2s lipo a downgrade? Just thinking out loud here!

Fully charged voltages are higher.
    LiPo chemistry dips down a lot less than NiMh, and can deliver way more amperage.

If you took two identical RC's and two identical RC drivers, with the only difference being the batteries... in the beginning of the race the NiMh will probably be faster. But, by the end of the first few laps (and sometimes not even that long) they will be neck and neck because the NiMh's voltage has dropped to match the LiPo's voltage. As they continue to race, LiPo's consistent voltage and amperage availability will allow the LiPo powered RC to pull ahead and win, meaning at this time LiPo has the higher voltage and the higher amperage availability. If the track is really twisty and forces the driver to slow down and power out of corners, the superior amperage availability of the LiPo will actually beat out the higher voltage of the NiMh and the LiPo would not fall behind, even in the beginning.
    Also, if you want to take into account weight and dimensions; the same capacity LiPo is probably going to be about half the weight. If you match the weight, the LiPo will be about twice the capacity... meaning that while the NiMh is being charged (and NiMh can only be safely charged one at a time vs LiPo's capability to be safely charged in multiples) the LiPo still has enough capacity to race another heat... or two.

Ok, who knew. Thanks Jimmie!

Oh wait, here's another question... I found that Traxxas makes a 8 cell 9.6 volt nimh, for only $50, so how would that compare to a 2s lipo? I know it won't fit in a Summit chassis, and it would weigh alot, but I'm just asking for curious reasons. Thanks!

It would compare closer to a 3S LiPo...

8 cell NiMh fully charged would be about 12v
    3S LiPo fully charged will be exactly 12.6v

It won't fit so no real reason to contemplate it.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Not to mention 8 cells would be over volting the EVX2 ESC.

Not to mention 8 cells would be over volting the EVX2 ESC.
    It won't fit so no real reason to contemplate it.
    True, didn't think about that last one. I wish they would work in a Summit, that way I wouldn't need to buy a lipo charger!