I picked up a MERV a few months ago while on holiday in the US, 1 because it looked so cool and 2 because it was a cheap way to get back into the hobby.
After that I thought that I should race it at the local RC track which is a 1/10th scale track that I used to race at years ago. Seeing as the full scale Revo was really good on the track I thought this would be really good too. So basically i'm trying to build and tune this mini e-revo so that it will perform on the track as good as I hope.
I'm making the thread so i can keep track of everything and hopefully I will get some feedback and help some others out to that might plan on doing this. I know the MERV isn't the best choice for a track car but I like the challenge!
I'm starting the thread a bit late as a lot of the mods I have already performed, but I took pictures along the way so I will post most of the steps up as I go.
- 1/10th scale
- Hard Clay that gets dusty pretty quickly
- Can crack if it has been raining during the week, leading to pot holes in the corners
- quite a number and mixture of jumps, turns and a big straight
MERV: (up to the point before I started recording what I was doing with it)
- Stock electronics
- Dual Stock servos
- RPM a-arms all around
- RPM axel carriers all around
- Traxxas aluminium turn buckles and push rods
- Traxxas 3S lipos
- Redback 2S lipos
- Aluminium Steering post
- Aluminium Servo Saver
- Shimmed rear diff (front still needs to be done)
- Black springs in the rear, Tan springs in the front
- 90wt shock oil all around
- Stock wheels and tyres
- Traxxas response pro tyres on stock wheels
There are probably some other things I have missed to.
Initial Handling on the Track
Before i changed the springs and shock oil from standard this thing handled like a pig! It would just bounce over every bump it could find I 70% of the time it would flip and roll and the end of the straight. Once changing to the new springs and shock oil it settled it down A LOT. Is was a different truck. And after the first night the stock shocks were pouring out with oil so they need to be replaced with something that is going to hold the oil in.
The response Pro tyres seemed ok, I didn't bother trying the talons, but they still seemed to lack a bit of grip once the dust started to build.
I only had the 3S lipos at the time so I ran with those and as expected they were just too much for the track. I ended up picking up some 2S 1300mAh packs to run in parallel and they seemed much more appropriate for the size of the track. I could actually hit full throttle down the straight without wheelieing!
Oh yeah and I stripped the rear diff after the first 2 races. That has now been replaced and shimmed.
So after the first night of racing there were a few pointers to take away that needed improving:
- bounces and rolls wayyy to much. Need to settle down the suspension. (was mostly fixed with the springs and shock oil)
- Tyres are lacking grip once it gets dusty
- The truck seems too light for all the bumps and jumps
I have heaps more to post over the next couple of days when I have time, I have done a lot more since the first race test.
I always say a thread is useless without pictures so here are some of how it started and how it sits now.
I had all of this purchased before I had even purchased the truck!
Well more to come soon.