RC poster

Low budget 1/8th scale motor rustler build

Keep in mind while you are reading this, that I built this thing with the mind set to spend the least I can and still be able to go 90+ mph, possibly 100 once I play with the gears alittle bit. Here is a run down of the parts and what I paid for them to do this build.

Parts:
    ESC - ********* 150amp 1/8th scale ESC. 67.73$ New
    Motor - ********* 2650KV 1/8th scale brushless motor. 52.26$ New
    Battery - 3600mah 6S 30C Lipo battery. 69.59$ New. I bought this one cause it will fit in the stock battery tray with the taller battery posts to lock it down.
    Car - Obviously a stock VXL rustler. Just like it came from traxxas. I added foam wheel which were 40$. Everything else is stock from factory. I lowered the car using zipties by ziptieing the spring down. Kinda ghetto but like I said this was a budget build.
    Gears - HPI savage 24t pinion - 15$ 36T spur gear from a Erevo 3.3 - 3$ new.

Total minus buying the car was 247$ and some change. Basically you can build the whole car for less then the Castle Mamba monster 2028 motor. And before anyone says that the stuff I am using is chinese junk, where do you think all the brand name stuff comes from. Also I can buy 5 ********* motors for the price of one mamba. Just wanna put that out there. Also I want to say I am not trying to bash castle stuff as I am sure it is good stuff but there are other options to going fast.
    I am gonna take the car out tomorrow once the roads dry from the rain and GPS to get an exact MPH for everyone. I just wanted to show that there is other options to making a possible 100mph rustler without dishing out a ton of cash. Also I have added weight to the front of the car to get it to stay down and have lowered it as low as possible without it dragging on the ground.

If anyone wants any pics of part numbers of the pieces used let me know.

This post has been edited to remove a brand name that is banned on this forum. If you type something the language filter blocks or turns into a series of *'s you need to edit the post to remove the offending word

Dadx2mj
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 12-07-2012 at 04:06 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    No need to get defensive of the cheap stuff. Its more common than you think.

You may want a different body or an inverted RPM bumper to help your aerodynamics.
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zball94 View Post
    No need to get defensive of the cheap stuff. Its more common than you think.

You may want a different body or an inverted RPM bumper to help your aerodynamics.
    I was not trying to sound defensive. And I am sure there are tons of people using cheap stuff out there. Its seriously all the same junk no matter what brand you buy.

Its seriously all the same junk no matter what brand you buy.
    That is an opinion I really do not agree with. Not necessarily all cases but in MOST cases you get what you pay for. at least that is my opinion.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power