Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Willing to spend the money! Battery Charger

I am wondering if anyone has this charger and can give me a sign of thumbs up

Hyperion EOS 0720i Super Duo Dual Li/NiMH/A123 Balancing Charger (7S/20A/500W) $279

or what recommendation I could get for decent chargers, mainly Lipo 8200 7.2v 3S.

Thanks

Broncojoe

That is a decent charger...

To cover the power supply, which is still needed after the above mentioned charger is bought; a very good reliable 12v 41a 492w power supply can be had for less than $15... you can up that to a 24v 41a 984w for about $20.

If you are interested, an iCharger 206B is capable of 20 amps and is available for $120ish.
    An iCharger 3010B is capable of 30 amps and is available for $180ish.

So, to recap:
    Power supply and above linked charger: $300
    Power supply and a 206: $140-150
    Power supply and two 206's: $260-280 <<Same amount of power as the 0720i
    Power supply and a 3010: $200
    Power supply and two 3010's: $380

If the LiPo's you are charging are usually at the same or similar voltage, you can go with a single high output charger and a ParaBoard and get the job done just as safely, just as fast, for about $100 less.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    this is the charger i use and i have no complaints. iv had many chargers over the years and sometimes its better to go cheaper then spend alot on a charger then to have to spend another 300 on a power supply.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.7280/.f

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the reply,
    I should have mentioned the charger must charge at least 2 but prefer 4 batteries at the same time.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 79Broncojoe View Post
    Thanks for the reply,
    I should have mentioned the charger must charge at least 2 but prefer 4 batteries at the same time.
    well then here is another solution,
    http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.8255/.f

$300 on a power supply??!!
    There is no need to spend that much on a power supply. I have a total of maybe $30 into my 24v 75a power supply.

My charge system is capable of up to 6 LiPo's at a time.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    i also use one of these so i dont have 500 different pig tails to keep up with.
    http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.6207/.f

3S LiPos are nominal 11.1V, max 12.6V
    2S LiPos are nominal 7.4V, max 8.4V
    Which are you referring to?

The Hyperion EOS 0720i Super Duo is a very good to excellent charger, one of the best true dual chargers. Like most high-end chargers it is DC-only and will need a power supply or big deep-cycle battery. If you plan on using it to it's full potential you'll need to make or have made a dual (two in series) server power supply or pay a couple/few hundred dollars for a purpose-built unit.

However, 3S packs will not require more than 252 Watts regardless of size and 2S packs will not require more than 168 Watts so the PSU need not be huge, at least to start out.

Is there a reason you want a true dual charger rather than charging packs in parallel? Hmm - you want to charge 4...parallel would be necessary but is never as good for your packs as charging one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by cris View Post
    this is the charger i use and i have no complaints. iv had many chargers over the years and sometimes its better to go cheaper then spend alot on a charger then to have to spend another 300 on a power supply.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.7280/.f
    well then here is another solution,
    http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.8255/.f
    i also use one of these so i dont have 500 different pig tails to keep up with.
    http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.6207/.f
    My opinion is only that, but I think the above items are exactly the wrong way to go about charging battery packs. I trust none of them.

My power supplies cost me more like $35 each @ 1068 Watts, but mine are prettier than jimmie's.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-06-2012 at 11:02 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I have a server supply I can convert for you 47 amps.I got two when I ordered mine.get you started if nothing else and cheap.

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 12-06-2012 at 10:58 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    3S LiPos are nominal 11.1V, max 12.6V
    2S LiPos are nominal 7.4V, max 8.4V
    Which are you referring to?

The Hyperion EOS 0720i Super Duo is a very good to excellent charger, one of the best true dual chargers. Like most high-end chargers it is DC-only and will need a power supply or big deep-cycle battery. If you plan on using it to it's full potential you'll need to make or have made a dual (two in series) server power supply or pay a couple/few hundred dollars for a purpose-built unit.

However, 3S packs will not require more than 252 Watts regardless of size and 2S packs will not require more than 168 Watts so the PSU need not be huge, at least to start out.

Is there a reason you want a true dual charger rather than charging packs in parallel? Hmm - you want to charge 4...parallel would be necessary but is never as good for your packs as charging one at a time.

My opinion is only that, but I think the above items are exactly the wrong way to go about charging battery packs. I trust none of them.

My power supplies cost me more like $35 each @ 1068 Watts, but mine are prettier than jimmie's.
    i havent had any issues at all. but then i dont charge alot of packs either. my last charger was a Great Planes ElectriFly Triton EQ. but i gave that to a friend cause he raced more then i did.

RC Qualifier
    I am in the process of making a power supply myself as a lot of people here have. Like said above they can be had for reasonably cheap especially when compared to store bought supplies.

It's not as hard as I thought it would be, this coming from a total novice, with help from Jimmie. He has a couple good build threads on how to convert SPS for RC use. I suggest taking a look at them before dropping big bucks on a store bought model.

The important thing is (if you decide to make your own) to make sure you can trick them into turning on an producing power. Jimmie has done several models that he figured out how to get up and running. In addition to those I've found more on another forum.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect