RC poster

Please help. Steering doesnt respond and constantly twitches.

Have had a problem since getting the Summit. Have had to re program my ESC twice to get it to work. After going through two batteries then flipping the truck over and breaking two drive shafts the steering does not respond at all and twitches constantly. I am trying to get it to work so I bought a new servo and receiver but still have the same issues. I need some help, theres snow on the ground with more falling and my son wants to play with his Christmas present.

Have you tried resetting then rebinding the transmitter to the receiver?
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    Yes, I have also bought a new receiver (from past experience with nitro) and a new steering servo (under direction from Traxxas) and still have the same results.

RC Qualifier
    With your servo unhooked from the steering bell crank, does the wheels and bell crank move freely? Is your bec wire pluged into the correct place on the reciever? Wires not pinched? Could be a voltage problem to the reciever. Does the motor run and work ok?
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

RC poster
    Yes, everything moves freely, in fact since I had already bought and opened the new servo it isn't even connected to anything but it still twitching. As far as the "bec" wire I apologize I do not know exactly what that is. If you mean the red black and white wire that comes out of the esc, it looks to be fine, there is minor indents in the coating from passing through the weather seal part that encases the receiver, but I don't think that it is something that would cause a problem.... But that is a part that hasn't been replaced. The motor seems to operate fine, after stopping I have to return it to the "neutral" position for a second before going the opposite direction, but I thought that was normal?

RC Qualifier
    Dp you have the ability to measure the voltage on the bec? That is the power wire from the esc to the reciever. You may have a faulty esc, it has been known to happen. If two recievers, and two servos have the same problem, the it has to be transmitter or esc. Do you have another transmitter to try?

Sent from my LG-AS695 using Tapatalk 2
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

RC poster
    I am assuming that all it takes to measure voltage is a voltage meter like I would use for a car or motorcycle? If so I am assuming I measure voltage between red and black? I do have other transmitters but none of them are the new traxxas "link" or whatever it is that doesn't use crystals... Those wont work will they? Thanks for the help from everyone by the way. I hate sounding like a ***** on forums but I don't really know what to do at this point.

RC poster
    What type of voltage should I have coming out of the bec wire? If voltage is a problem should the voltage b fluctuating with the servo "twitch"? Or should I be looking for a resistance issue?

Yes, a regular voltmeter is all that is needed.
    Yes, measurement is taken between the red and black servo wire coming from the ESC.
    Yes, receivers that take crystals will not work with a LINK radio.

You could test the radio theory by switching over the receiver and the controller that takes crystals. I would not drive it this way due to the brushless motor interfering with the crystal radio system, but it is a good way to test the servo to radio relationship.

The ESC should be putting out 6 volts to the servo through the ESC's servo wire to the receiver. Voltage may drop slightly while the servo is in use, but it should not jitter because of this drop.

I am afraid that the ESC is the culprit... in my opinion, Traxxas should take care of this issue since it has been the issue since day 1. You may be without an ESC for a period of time while you are sending it in and they are sending one back, but if it turns out to be the issue (which I am beginning to believe it is) you will have a functioning RC when it is all done. If you don't want the wait, you could buy another ESC... used for cheaper than new... and test then send in your current ESC and have a backup ESC after all is said and done.

RC poster
    Ok, I measured the voltage and everything is on par with what it should be. I agree at this point that it is the ESC, I'm sure traxxas will take care of it, I was just hoping to have a different outcome with the only two remaining days I have off of work are holidays and I doubt I'll get any input from traxxas... Oh well, such is life I suppose... Thanks everyone for the help.

Is this an issue that the vxl models have, or all traxxas elecric models, or is this a rare occasion? Do you guys recommend an aftermarket set up if this is a typical issue? This vehicle will be used mostly by my son who is new to the hobby, but well be in training mode for a little bit.

It is common for the servo to have issues in these particular models, but not common for the ESC to have issues. The only time the ESC is proven to be weak is when over-geared, over-powered, and occasionally when the servo issue takes out the ESC along with it.

If you keep a watch on temperatures of the motor/ESC and the voltage down to 1 stock pack (or two in parallel) or a single 2S LiPo (again, or two in parallel) you will be fine. Once you start using 2 stock packs in series or 3S LiPo, the ESC should be upgraded as it does not withstand that type of use for very long.

RC poster
    Ok, that sounds good. Since it is his car and not mine I am going to say that the most it will have is two stock packs in parallel for longer run time. Otherwise he has a ways to go before I think about lipo's and more speed.

If I am running this type of set up should I worry about getting fans for the esc and motor, or should I be ok with stock parts until I upgrade? If so which fans are recommended? Is there a direct bolt on?
    Again, thanks.

You should be ok with stock parts.

Regearing so there is less strain on the system is the way to solve heat issues... fans are for keeping well operating systems cooler; not for solving heat issues.

I have yet to see a bolt on fan for the ESC. I have seen a few fan/heat sink combo's for the motor, but not sure what works best. I only know that the Integy one is just about pointless as there is ZERO airflow around the motor due to its crappy design.

RC poster
    Ok, cool, thanks for the information.

No problem!

RC Racer
    Tazewell Va. Were so small here in taz. that we only have 3 stop lights....and one is broke
    the integy fan setup for the motor will actually slide right over (and stay on) the esc. I over heated my esc way befor the motor. The motor heat sink seemed to keep the motor cool enough with the integy fan setup placed on my esc...

RC poster
    Ok so I just got off of the phone with traxxas and they say that it's the transmitter and are sending a new one out. Here's what they had me do; first he said it was the esc, which he jumped to very quickly as they had on the past three conversations. So I asked if he was sure or if there was any way to test his theory since the last conversations had led me to prove them wrong, he then had me switch the bec wire with the servo wire on the receiver and check to see if the servo still twitched. I switched the wires so that the receiver was powered through the ch1 and the servo was hooked to ch2 and the servo moved by using the trigger and did not twitch at all.
    So it seems as if the transmitter is the culprit to this issue, at least to me and the guys at traxxas. What do you guys think? It also seems as if they are very quick to diagnose things on the phone to "get to the next call" they were ready to send parts within a minute of being on the phone. Has anyone else noticed this or had this experience or am I reading to far into it? I think it's good that they want to get you replacement parts quickly but it seems that if the first conversation went a little different maybe I wouldn't have had the issues that I've had.... Just my two cents tho..