RC Racer

Unhappy Summit question?? Somethings not right.

So as some of you know, I bought my first Summit about a week and a half ago. The thing is just awesome and I couldn't be happier. It does NOT have the LVD because I believe it's a 2010 version.

On to the issue. I bought a Summit that I will give my son for his X-mas present. It's a 2012 and has the TQi controller. I got it off of E-bay and it arrived today. It came with Traxxas 8.4V 3000mAh batteries. First thing I did was threw the batteries on the charger. Then I grabbed my other (charged) batteries and put them in the truck and turned the transmitter on. Then I pushed the button on the ESC (which is the LVD model). It was blinking fast green and would not move. The servos all worked and could turn the wheels back and forth, but no forward and no reverse. Then I noticed the controller was set to 70/30 and not 50/50 like my other Summit was (is this the throttle trim???). So I shut everything off and switched it over to 50/50, turned everything back on again, and then it worked fine. So please tell me if everything there sounds like I did the right thing.

Next issue. This one is nowhere near as fast as my truck. As far as I know, mine is stock as far as gears and everything. I thought maybe it was in training mode, so I switched through the settings. It was not in training, so that is not the issue. Any ideas??? The only difference I know of between the two is that one has LVD ESC and one doesn't.

Last issue. Back to the stocks batteries. The guy told me he only had 5 charges on them (and by the looks of the truck, I believe him). But they won't charge up. Charger said they were charged, so I put them in the truck and drove it for about 5 minutes and it dies very quickly. I pulled the batteries again and charged them again. Seems that one will charge up to 1700 mAh and the other 900 mAh. This is what my Onxy charger tells me anyway. Does that mean the batteries are shot?? If so, I'm gonna try and get a partial refund from the guy.

Sorry for the long post, but I really needed to explain in detail what was going on.

BTW, here are the trucks.

RC Qualifier
    For the first issue.
    I don't really know what was wrong there. i have switched my transmitter to 70/30 while everything is on and going and the truck just starts moving because the throttle trim is out a bit.
    The throttle trim resets again when you re-calibrate as far as i understand.

Second Issue
    Could be a result of the third issue

Third issue
    My batts run about that long now but thats after 6 months of lots of runs.
    Just bought some new ones 7 cell 5000mah 8.4v onyx's...
    I really don't think 5 charges would have stuffed the batt's. I think they could of been shotty batts, it is possible.
    Maybe he bought it, only got 5 min runs out of it because of shotty batts and decided to sell it and you were unlucky enough to pick it up.
    And as for running slow as you said in the second issue i think it could only more prove they are shotty batts.
    Anyway thats my opinion, see what others say.
    Summit; Spartan; Others yet to come

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhawkins View Post
    For the first issue.
    I don't really know what was wrong there. i have switched my transmitter to 70/30 while everything is on and going and the truck just starts moving because the throttle trim is out a bit.
    The throttle trim resets again when you re-calibrate as far as i understand.

Second Issue
    Could be a result of the third issue

Third issue
    My batts run about that long now but thats after 6 months of lots of runs.
    Just bought some new ones 7 cell 5000mah 8.4v onyx's...
    I really don't think 5 charges would have stuffed the batt's. I think they could of been shotty batts, it is possible.
    Maybe he bought it, only got 5 min runs out of it because of shotty batts and decided to sell it and you were unlucky enough to pick it up.
    And as for running slow as you said in the second issue i think it could only more prove they are shotty batts.
    Anyway thats my opinion, see what others say.
    I put my "good" batteries in my truck and ran it across the yard full speed (one pass) and then put those same batteries in the other truck and did the same thing. It just doesn't have the snort or top speed that mine has. Shouldn't really be a battery issue at all because I am comparing apples to apples.

RC Qualifier
    That's kinda funny cuz I have two summits and one is the new TQI and the other is the model before that. The TQI is all stock except lipos and the other is all stock except one tooth smaller on the pinion and the one with the smaller pinion and nimh batteries is faster then the new TQI on a heads up race. A huge difference in about 50 yards is about 30 feet

RC Racer
    Dumb question but is it in first gear and not second?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha-z View Post
    I put my "good" batteries in my truck and ran it across the yard full speed (one pass) and then put those same batteries in the other truck and did the same thing. It just doesn't have the snort or top speed that mine has. Shouldn't really be a battery issue at all because I am comparing apples to apples.
    Yes sorry i read that just now and realised i had stuffed up. Now i have read it correctly it is NOT a batt issue.
    In that case then that is a mystery to me.
    Last edited by danielhawkins; 11-30-2012 at 12:10 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    That's kinda funny cuz I have two summits and one is the new TQI and the other is the model before that. The TQI is all stock except lipos and the other is all stock except one tooth smaller on the pinion and the one with the smaller pinion and nimh batteries is faster then the new TQI on a heads up race. A huge difference in about 50 yards is about 30 feet
    Hmmmmmmmmm... really strange... COuld there be some new limiter or something in the esc.

RC Qualifier
    I'm not sure. One of these days I will make them all stock and 100% identical and see what the difference is.
    That race was also on pavement so there was no burn out.
    When you you smaller pinion doesn't it make the top speeds slower?

RC poster
    For your 70/30 issue, My summit 1/16 vxl just goes crazy to. Help

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    I'm not sure. One of these days I will make them all stock and 100% identical and see what the difference is.
    That race was also on pavement so there was no burn out.
    When you you smaller pinion doesn't it make the top speeds slower?
    LOL. If you make them i dentical there is no difference. LOL... Hahaha... don't worry i get what ya mean...
    Yes a smaller pinion would make top speeds slower.

RC Qualifier
    When you switch it to 70/30 you have to recelebrate it. Then it will work.

RC Qualifier
    If your motor doesn't smell funny and you're sure all your wires are in good shape and connectors are tight here's what I'd do.

First thing I would do is to make sure the LVD is turned off. The light should be constant red in nimh mode, and shut off as throttle is applied an come back on as its released. There is a supliment instruction page for the new evx2 with LVD on the traxxas site.

Second install freshly charged batteries and recalibrate your esc in either 50/50 or 70/30. You can't switch from one to the other without recalibrating. (I'm hoping this is why your new truck is slower than your old one)

It might not be a bad idea to pull the motor to clean and lube your bushings, who knows when the last time that was done if ever.

And with the motor out check to see the the driveline spins freely and isn't binding up on anything.

As far as your batteries go how fast are you attempting to cha