Thread: lipo batteries?

RC poster

lipo batteries?

i have a e-maxx 3903 is it worth switching over to lipo batteries since they wont give me 16.8v everyone tells me how lipos are so much better but i dont see how its better for my truck

fully charged lipos 8.4v 2s packs x2 will be 16.8v and will last longer and get you to top speed faster. you will like your runtimes with lipos they have higher MAh caps. take a look at spc they have good sales going on i think still.
    make sure you esc has lvc if its newer then it might have it built in which is good if not get an external lvd/lvc ok.

also dont forget a good lipo charger something that will last and be good for larger packs as you will find out later on you'll get larger packs like 8000mah and a 5amp charger will not be enough for you if you have 2 or more packs you need something like 10amp, 20amps, 30amps but i would stick around 20amps Icharger 206b with a power supply made by your self or bought on ebay for like 40+shipping or 40 shipped most of the time. worth every penny for that charger and worth every penny for lipos.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    I switched to LiPo's in my pre 2012 3903. I have the older non-LVC EVX-2 and a brushed DeWalt motor. The LiPo's are leaps and bounds over the NiMH. Now granted the voltage is basically the same between NiMH and LiPo. But the LiPo's run cooler, last longer (mine are 5000 MAH each). But best of all, I get more "Punch" or power out of the LiPo's. I don't know what the science is between the two different batteries but there is a noticeable increase in power.

All that being said… Be prepared to change out your motors if your still running the stock 550 Titans. I burnt one up running NiMH, they are not the most reliable motor out there. The added power of the LiPo may smoke the 550's.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It is not the power of LiPo that kills brushed motors, but rather the excessive motor heat generated due to the longer runtimes available with LiPo.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    It is not the power of LiPo that kills brushed motors, but rather the excessive motor heat generated due to the longer runtimes available with LiPo.
    Good point!