RC Enthusiast

Red face Great to be back!

Hey just thought I'd introduce myself here. I used to be on the forums here a few years back.
    I bought a couple original T-Maxx, upgraded evrything to aluminum, extended chassis 3.3, fuel pump, waterproofed etc. and got into a pinch and had to sell. Had well over $3k in each, sold both for $1k. I guess I was so mad about it I got out of RC for a while.
    But I did just buy a Summit in Feb! I love this thing! It is everything I wished my tmaxx was. Especialy now with the Kershaw brushless 4s system I put in. it is wicked quick! With a 21/62 I got 54mph. I am running 21/68 now, about 45mph. I was putting around my parking lot and did a quick donut and exploded my rear drive shafts, both sides lol. I had accidentally tighten my slipper all the way (2am) and they just couldnt handle it. So I bought a new set and rhino-lined the ends, adjusted my slipper, and its back it! I also got a couple 230oz servos up front. I have been spending a lot of time on its roof sliding, so I rhino-lined the roll cage, shortened the body posts and lined them too, and dropped it down to the outer link position.

I also just got a Slash 4x4 from a pawn shop, and they didnt have a clue what they had lol. it was a pretty clean, 3s Lipo, tekin rx8, 1700kv T8, onyx quick charger, 2.4ghz radio, balancer, tools, parts all for $300 bucks! I had to get it. I gave it to my Dad for his birthday. We rebuilt the whole driveline, new tires, and got it dialed in to do about 65mph witg 105f temps!

I will get some pics up soon. Glad to be back to this community and wealth of knowledge!

RC Competitor
    Welcome back.

RC Qualifier
    getting the summit is a great comeback!

RC Champion
    105f temps at 65 mph, WHOA! Very nice indeed.

Sounds like you're rocking a slick Summit too, welcome back man! Throw some pictures up.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys!

Everything I put up on here will be from my phone ie; posts, pics, vids etc... so bear with me lol!

MODS: im tryin to figure out how to compress my pics to appropriate size since my phone takes them in 10mp, so please dont dock me if I goof!

[IMG]UMpo2AHZyG[/IMG]
    quick shot of the Kershaw Designs Gen3 combo. I will get a few pics together tonight hopefully

RC Enthusiast
    To be fair those slash temps were on a 45f day
    Last edited by Duffracing111; 03-18-2013 at 12:30 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Its telling me at the bottom that I "may NOT post attachments" whats up with that?

RC Champion
    I've never tried posting an attachment, but you can use something like Photobucket or ImageShack they're both free, and automatically compress the files AND they have phone apps! =)

RC Enthusiast
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Enthusiast
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Enthusiast
    it has the Kershaw Designs Gen 3 2150kv (4074) BL motor, Leopard Hobby 150amp Ground Pro esc, (2) 2s 5000mah Lipo in series, (2) waterproof HT 230oz steering servos (from Kershaw), castle motor fan, 21t steel pinion, 68t spur, rhino-lined drive shafts and roll cage, lowered body,

RC Champion
    I want to make sure that the second battery connector on the ESC there is protected when you are driving? That is a VERY easy short make causing a big catastrophe if it ever did! A good trick there would be to put a female TRX connector on the end of it to keep it safe.

Truck looks great though and I like the placement of the ON/OFF switch for the ESC!

RC Enthusiast
    oh yeah. I use 2 batts, and when I disconnect I turn esc back on to drain any juice left in there. I tuck the Y harness under the body mount when driving, so the wires are nice and protected. I just flipped the Y harness over and on top like that to show it in the pic. and I never run it without the body on now that the BL system is in. I feel like it spends almost same amount of time sliding on the roof and it does on its wheels since im trying to get used to it. this is my first electric, first BL
    Last edited by Duffracing111; 03-18-2013 at 02:41 PM.

RC Qualifier
    welcome back. yea, concrete....or any high traction surface..is the enemy of the summit with BL power. diffs and shafts dont stand a chance. I see a single steering servo upgrade in your future

I love the black and red lid

RC Enthusiast
    I did upgrade the servos to 230 oz each, 460oz/in total, but decided I might as well leave both on for extra umph. what is the benefit of just one?

RC Qualifier
    unless you have them dead on aligned, they fight each other so u lose performance. many of us have switched to one 300-400oz set up. so far so good for me.

RC Champion
    I assume if you set them correctly you'll be fine. Just set the trim on the remote, and if they are start buzzing when the trim is set far left or right, then you'll know they fight each other when being used vs just idle.

RC Enthusiast
    I see.. so basically just for alignment-sake is purpose of going single. I will look into that if/when these go out

RC Qualifier
    right, I didn't mean now. im sure what you have is great. but when one fails, if it does, a strong single set up is less maintenance and less complex.

jonesdallas
    how do you like the the Kershaw BL vs the Tekin in your slash? I know they're very different trucks. But whats a comparison of the motors?

RC Enthusiast
    the tekin is definitely noticeably better quality. but for the price you can't beat the kershaw system. I love it. it has way more power than a summit needs. the kershaw motor is 2150kv on 4s, the Tekin is 1700kv on 3s so its hard to really compare until i talk my dad into swaping for a bit. we did try to race when I first got it in, but I couldn't keep the front wheels down. even at 35mph if I pulled the trigger a touch too much the summit would stand up. ive adjusted the esc and slipper to make it a ton more controllable. we will race again when I meet up with my pops. the slash weighs a couple pounds less, but that works against him in drag race cause those stock tires can't hook up with the tekin.

the only problem is with Dan at kershaw. I dont know if he is just that busy, or shady, or what but getting a straight answer about the delivery is tough. he sent a tracking number a couple days after I ordered it, and it said it would arrive within 3 days. 2 weeks later he emailed and asked if I could wait another week for him to ship cause he was waiting for the center cvds to come in. I asked him to swap them for some other items in stock, and still waited a couple more weeks. the day I recieved it, he emailed me telling me he was going to ship it the next day. so im guessingbhe needs help organizing, or processing or something. and I found where he buys the motors from for 6-10 bucks each. (google x-fly motors)

overall with the actual products I am VERY happy! great set-up! insane power and speed... it is a bit jittery at a crawl, but thats expected with sensorless

jonesdallas
    Great, Thanks for the info. Pretty close to ordering a 2250 T8/RX8 combo for my summit. Just seeing what everyone thinks of them.

RC Enthusiast
    it is a wonderful setup (rx8 t8) if you have the dough... Kershaws system is comparable, but less than half the price