RC poster

Busted diff need input

Okay gang,

I've been messing with project old school (pro .15 version) for a few days now. I had just finished rebuilding the front end with the proline wide max kit and proline cvd's as I started on the back half I got to a problem the HCR metal diff collars I had lying around refused to fit onto the Plastic diff cases. I nudged it on with a rubber malet but once it was on the diff wouldn't rotate.

I tried to pull it off but it's on there good. So at this point I'm in the market for a new rear diff. I'm looking for a good solid rear replacment. I'm also going to need the spool.

My question is can I use any housing? Say one for the 3.3 and can I buy a different gearing?

Thanks all,

Quote Originally Posted by rbpwrd240 View Post
    Okay gang,

I've been messing with project old school (pro .15 version) for a few days now. I had just finished rebuilding the front end with the proline wide max kit and proline cvd's as I started on the back half I got to a problem the HCR metal diff collars I had lying around refused to fit onto the Plastic diff cases. I nudged it on with a rubber malet but once it was on the diff wouldn't rotate.

I tried to pull it off but it's on there good. So at this point I'm in the market for a new rear diff. I'm looking for a good solid rear replacment. I'm also going to need the spool.

My question is can I use any housing? Say one for the 3.3 and can I buy a different gearing?

Thanks all,
    If you like to lose turning radius and being able to apply power while turning, and you need to have pulling power or are going to be crawling then a spool is for you..

If you prefer control in the corners, less stress on your driveline than a spool is NOT for you.

Sound like when you forced the diff collar on it felxed the case so the pinion is binding on the ring gear....

Now the older diff cases (two screws holding them together) were famous for flexing which usually tore up pinions which is the softer than the ring gear by purpose...

I'd suggest picking up the newer diff cases that use 4 screws holding them together...

As far as gearing the gearing is the same in the diffs, no options there. But you can go with the newer sealed diffs, and that also would be an improvement... I see them on Ebay for like $20.00-$30.00 each new.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC poster
    Thanks for the input.

Exactly what I needed to know.

I like a rear spool it helps drive the truck out of the corner and it helps a little small block like mine pull the front wheels if you really working it. At least it did with my old nitro star .15 hopefully the new os .18 will make it a whole new beast.