RC poster

How harmful is it to run a nitro without a header/pipe

Yesterday I was driving my Revo 3.3 around and I noticed after a while that it was super loud, louder than usual. I finally pulled it back to me to check it out, and sure enough noticed that my pipe was broken off right at the engine, so that I basically didn't have an exhaust system. When I brought it back in, it was idling very high, and also a very unsteady idle. Is this just because of the fact that I didn't have a pipe on it, or do you think I blew my engine? I had driven it for about 5 minutes without the exhaust. How much damage did I do?

the exhaust system pressurizes the fuel tank which means it lost pressure and started running lean. it could have done damage depending on how lean it was running.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC poster
    What's a good was to gauge the condition of my engine? Is compression the best sign? How do I measure the compression?

RC Racer
    I ran my revo 3.3 without the exhaust for quite a while and did not notice any signs of lack of power. The only issues I really had running that way were:

1. Very noisy. The neighbors did not like it too much!
    2. More power - I noticed that it gave me a slight increase in my top-end.
    3. Was tough to get started after it stopped - from lack of backpressure to feed into the tank.

I think the only real negative issue was no backpressure to the tank. Other than that, it ran just fine. I was going to try to find a way to pressurize my tank with a bulb or something, but decided to just convert it to brushless for more power and keep the neighbors happier.

Of course there is no lack of power, because it was running lean, too lean. The pipe has a pressure hose connected to it for a reason. Fix the problem and go back to running it. If there was any damage done you cannot undo it.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    replace it with a spring mount header i did after i broke 2 and since i have been using a spring mount header it has not broke.
    what did i break

RC poster
    where can I find such a thing?

RC Qualifier
    Revo Platinum uses a spring mount...doesn't fit for crap with a EZ Start.

RC Champion
    Put a stock header back on and go out and run it, don't worry so much about the car it's fine.

RC Competitor
    Flare the end of ur header alittle bit so the sleeve doesn't slip off so easy