RC Enthusiast

Do kids ask to drive your rc?

Do kids ask to drive or play with your rc car?
    Do you let them?
    How do you tell them no?

Please leave feedback in curious on seeing how you deal with the situation!

RC Competitor
    haha just tell them no sorry its very expensive and dangerous
    ziggy ziggy coco pop ziggy ziggy pop!

RC Qualifier
    Just say no. Didn't you already ask this or was it someone else?
    (1) Ultimate Slash 4x4 & (1) HCG Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by wfburton159 View Post
    Just say no. Didn't you already ask this or was it someone else?
    I'm not asking for my knowledge. I am asking out of curiousity to see others experiences...

RC Qualifier
    Tell them to go get their parents, when the parents appear, tell them to produce 2k in my hand and the kid can drive it how ever they want. No takers yet.

RC Champion
    My answer is always just a simple no. They then proceed to act like im the bad guy and I ignore them.

I will let my closest friends drive tahem.
    60% of the time I'm right every time.

Yes,they do, and yes I do if they can hand me a Gold Card - Amex, Visa, or Mastercard will do.
    Otherwise, me and mine have a rule: NOBODY drives our trucks unless we are running with them.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Got a rustler vxl as my first RC a month ago. My 6 years old son wants it badly and eventually I had to let him drive all the time. Then I ordered a Slash 4x4 platinum for myself. Now both of us are happy, and we could bash together.

RC Champion
    I got the 2 2wd pede for my Kids; told them to not to lend them to other kids unless they are in a plain area with no possibilities of hitting something if they could not resist giving at all.

Other kids , defintely no, ''its very dangerous, runs too fast for you''

I got a slash 4x4 and erbe, have lent it to my kids but not to other people. ecevn with my kids now I am more carefull as they have not mastered all the aspects of driving the trucks
    Last edited by Jezza; 01-08-2015 at 10:28 PM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    Only my own kids or nephew/nieces... so far.
    Slash 4X4 Platinum (2014) / Mini E-Revo VXL (2014)

RC Champion
    I just say sorry this is not a kid's toy . They still have fun watching . jmo
    1 Rusty VXL + Slash 4x4 Platinum

RC Racer
    Mine did all the time. After letting them run my full revo and breaking it a couple of times, I got a couple smaller ones to let them play with. Found out how much fun they were too, so I ended up getting myself a smaller revo and decked it out.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    As mean as it sounds, I have to say NO also, even with their parents hearing me say that to their kids faces. Reality check is your there to have fun yourself and not to end it by some kid that you don't know handling your broken rc. And when its come to confrontation with the kid's parent you get a smart respond "well, why did you hand it over in the first place."

Shouldn't this question be at the alley section?
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 01-08-2015 at 10:43 PM.
    humay has left the building, peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Ta2edphreak View Post
    Tell them to go get their parents, when the parents appear, tell them to produce 2k in my hand and the kid can drive it how ever they want. No takers yet.
    I am the same way! If a person was to give me $2,000 I would let them drive it.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Champion
    About 9 years ago I let my friend's son drive my E-Maxx.
    Kid didn't know how to release the throttle and took out
    much of my sister's flower bed and vegetable garden...
    My sister was kind of upset, but no damage to the E-Maxx!
    Slash 4X4 Platinum (2014) / Mini E-Revo VXL (2014)

RC Qualifier
    Haha thats awesome squeegie

RC Qualifier
    In defense though I have let my nephew drive it...but it was on training mode set at 30%, he is 5.

RC Champion
    I just say "NO, it's too expensive." and I don't feel one bit bad about saying it.
    Slash 4x4 Plat HCG. MIP X Dutys. ET-3S/ET-2400

RC Champion
    Almost every time I run in a public place, I kind of laugh a little and say no. Sort of the same thing people have said, it costs me lot of time and money to just hand over the controller to a newbie and watch it get broken, granted a crash is usually less than $20, I don't like to risk it for people that plain don't understand the time and energy that goes into my "toy" truck.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Agreed. One mom that wasnt happy I wouldn't let her kid try it didnt believe the money I have into it...she said "but its just a TOY truck" then I went inside and got my receipt book.. her eyes bout bugged out of her head, she apologized and turned around quick and walked away....gotta love it!

RC Qualifier
    I let a child....or adult....drive one of our RCs only if I have set the throttle end points down low to make it safe. I have had to educate my 7 year old to ALWAYS tell everyone, even adults, no when they ask to drive his stuff. They see this kid driving a 40-50 mph 8th scale like it's nothing and think they can do it too. What they don't grasp is he started at 4 years old driving a Digger pede set with a super small pinion, 7.2 NiMH, and 50% throttle all to slow him down. Now he races 3 classes of vehicle, 8th buggy, and 2 and 4 open SC.

No sympathy here. I don't want anyone with a broken ankle from one of our toys...

RC Qualifier
    I have let only one kid drive my mine revo. And it was set to training mode. It was the daughter of one of the guys I was racing 5th scale oval with and she had her own wheelie king so she knew how to drive. Turned down many others specially when it comes to my slash or Baja.
    "Franken"Slash ultimate, 2 minis, and 5B

RC Champion
    Actually I will let other racers at the track try my cars. I know they know how to drive them and they know how much time and money I have into them. One of them who already had a rustler was amazed at how well my rustler handled.
    60% of the time I'm right every time.

RC Qualifier
    Mine ask; I bought them a 1/16 E-REVO to use when we go out, they love it.

RC Qualifier
    I wanna try buddy boxing so I can introduce more people to the hobby. But I don't know if it works on a car/truck like on a plane
    If a RC never breaks, your doing it wrong

I almost always let other people run my R/Cs, kids or adults.

With the kids I have encountered, all it usually takes is telling them that the vehicle is very fast, it's not as easy to drive as it looks, and it's not cheap to fix. I also warn them that if I see them getting too crazy with it, I will not let them drive any longer. Finally, I tell them to take it slow and drive carefully. When they're driving, I make sure to stand right next to them so I can grab the controller (or help them drive) should anything get out of hand.

So far, the kids I have encountered have always been respectful and followed my requests. After getting a feel for the handling, most even go so far as to ask permission to jump the curb. I don't recall anyone ever damaging anything, but it's honestly not a huge deal to me if something did break.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-09-2015 at 11:33 AM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Enthusiast
    Im 15 so I am in many eyes a kid but i pay for my own trucks/parts with money I earned. That being said my rule with my friends is you break it you buy it you can drive it but if it breaks your paying for the parts!

Depends on the kids and the RC.

If I know the kids/parents, then I will normally let them drive one of my go-fast RC's (especially the Traxxas models). For my RCs that I have more time and money into, like my crawlers and scalers, only older kids and parents. If I don't know the kids, and/or do not have the parent's permission, then no.

Whenever I turn the controller over I am taking the responsibility for broke parts and property, and I assume that something will brake while they are running the RC. If I am not comfortable with that, I don't turn the controller over. I make sure the kid stays away from cars, pets and other things that might get damaged. If the car gets broken, it will come out of my pocket.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    I would say no. at least until he's old enough

RC Champion
    I would have answered no to this question in the past, but lately I have become much more forgiving with my vehicles. I have a couple of cars and trucks that are not as fast as most of mine that I will give a kid a turn with. When my friends come over and especially if they are bringing their kids with them, I will set up a couple of Tamiya TT01's for them to play with. They can't do too much damage only going around 25mph or so. My faster stuff is still a no go partly because of safety concerns and its also not the greatest way for somebody who has limited or no experience to enjoy themselves. I don't get into the cost aspect of the hobby with them because unless they are really dedicated, explaining to someone why you spend $$$ on a toy car doesn't make sense to them. If they stick with it, they will understand. I also have a policy that I strictly adhere to and this is mostly because of my club racing with friends on Saturday evenings. Don't ever run something that you are not prepared to break. Don't complain or cry over broken vehicles or cost associated with it. If I lend you a vehicle and it breaks, you are not responsible for paying for damages. I gave you permission!
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

This totally depends on what I have with me. I usually try to bring a Telluride or a Slash 2wd in Training Mode for people who ask. I know someone will ask at some point. I'm not going to let them run my E-Maxx Brushless or Stampede 4x4 on 3s... The possible damage to the truck is one concern but the possibility of injury to a bystander or damage to property is my biggest issue. High-speed RC can be very dangerous if people who don't know what they're doing just hammer down full throttle.

My neighbor has two kids I set up with a Telly / Slash 2wd in Training Mode and 10,000mah 2s packs. I run my Pede on 3s and the kids love running the other trucks even though they're doing like 1/3 the speed. Its still way faster than any RC they find elsewhere and they run for like 30 - 45 minutes or more.

The one time I forgot to enable Training Mode one of my other neighbors almost lost some flowers

RC Racer
    First, I like the story about the flower bed being ran into, funny stuff. We do get kids around the neighborhood area wanting to drive our trucks. Well I dont have $2000 into either my sons or my truck, but we dont let others drive our trucks. I've got more upgrades on my sons truck than mine, but I dont want to have to fix what some unexperimented driver broke. Ive just started to upgrade my truck and dont need it broke in half. Funny thing is that since having our trucks we started a trend in the neighborhood. Now there is a few others on the street that have some sort of rc's. Its not trying to be rude but its a investment that I dont want to see go down the drain.

RC Qualifier
    Nope plain and simple I had a neighbor ask to drive my slash 4x4 while we were driving and he had his slash let me just tell ya there was not one nice part on that truck he had duct tape holding the bearing carrier together and he was kinda older 35+
    Slash 4x4 spc powered

RC Qualifier
    Yes, actually, always. I gauge how much the kid can handle, and set the EPA on my transmitter (futaba). Like for the really young ones, I set it to 20% throttle maximum. I always run the truck in 3s so that's still plenty for them to watch it zoom around, but not enough to hurt much in a crash. I purposefully go to places where lots of kids are around, sort of fulfillment fantasy I guess, because when I was kid I would be jumping excited to have a cool dude let me drive his suped up RC. It's lots of fun to see kids getting excited about these hobby grade toys because it gets you excited too, very contagious~!

There was the one time I let a kid use my slash (at low EPA) and he drove it into his sister on purpose (all of 5yrs old) she fell on the cement from the impact and got pretty scraped up. I'll remember that little jerk's face, I warned him specifically not to do that kind of thing

RC Enthusiast
    My cousins 5yr old son is always asking if he can try but I always say no. I've seen him play with his hot wheels and toy grade RC and that's why I say no haha! Usually we've always got 2 cars going so instead of him getting to drive one he and his little brother get the best job ever of flipping us back over! ;P I told my cousin how he can put his slash into training mode but I think he knows he's got a devil child that would immediately drive it into his 2yr old brother or start terrorizing the dogs. When I'm out in a public place and a little kid comes up to me and asks if he can try I usually look at their parent and go "uuuhh" and then grab a handful of throttle, a couple wheelies and donuts later the parent usually says no for me haha.
    If it ain't broken, upgrade it!

RC Qualifier
    Speed is my only problem; so when they use my 1/16 E-REVO; I put the ESC in learning mode.

RC Champion
    I only let friends and family drive my cars, to anyone else the answer is no. I've been asked by some random teenagers before and I looked at them like they were crazy and said no.

RC Racer
    i just say no, my rc is not very valuable but i could see someone running it into curbs and jumping it, kids dont respect anyone's stuff and will just walk away after they have broken your rc leaving you to pay for what they broke.
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

RC Champion
    I usually only have my trail trucks someplace other can see me run them, but nobody asks.......must be too slow
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Qualifier
    I have let my best friend run it before if u know to drive in yes like if u own one too
    Monster Energy MT, F-150 Raptor Stampede, Teton