RC Qualifier

so I'm joining the E maxx family

bought a 3906 on flebay waiting it to get here. Had a ERBE and traded it big mistake but its all working out got a great friend out of the deal which is worth more than any car but i needed to put back on the big boy pants and get me another full size rc. Anything that has to been done to these things it has aluminum shock towers and a aluminum rear bulkhead. Thinking about throwing mmm 2200 in but not sure yet i like it in my slash 4x4 run that when i feel like breaking stuff lol. Thanks for any advice in advance.

RC Qualifier
    Sweet! Welcome to the Delaware emaxx club. Bring that thing bashing with us!
    Sl4sh mmp2400 - savage flux hp XL - vorza flux hp

RC Qualifier
    What prompted you to get a 3906? Coming off an E-Revo I'd guess you'd have picked up a 2nd-gen E-Maxx which has the drivetrain sorted out for brushless power. Your E-Maxx will be more temperamental with respect to differentials and the transmission, besides which the standard bulkhead / shock tower / driveshaft issues.

My advice, given you have the Slash 4x4 for high speed running, is to keep your E-Maxx brushed and just make modest upgrades to it. Maybe get a LVC and run 4s LiPo, but throw some heatsinks on that bad boy and just enjoy it as it is. In 2002 that truck was the king of the hill and people loved it.

RC Qualifier
    Didn't have a lot if dough at the moment I picked it up for a great price i have thought about leaving it brushed or putting a mild brushless in it just for ease of maintaining it.

RC Qualifier
    So if i pick up a chassis and a Trans what else do i need to convert over to 3908 apparently this 3906 has a 3.3 drive line in it and big bores on it had a brushless system on it before but he sold that and put the stock back on to sell it.
    Last edited by madscrapper85; 11-24-2012 at 10:36 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by madscrapper85 View Post
    So if i pick up a chassis and a Trans what else do i need to convert over to 3908 apparently this 3906 has a 3.3 drive line in it and big bores on it had a brushless system on it before but he sold that and put the stock back on to sell it.
    You also need the bell cranks from a 3905+ to get the steering to work.

I went through the conversion. I got about halfway through and realized it would be more cost effective to buy a embe roller on eBay and throw in my electronics. Fortunately 4sdash traded me a 3905 rtr for my 3906 and I gave him cash too. The stock axles will not take brushless power at all. I put my mmp/2400 system from my slash in the 3906 and it broke a shaft almost every run.

My 3905 breaks shafts with the mmm/2200 on 4s and it has MUCH better axles and shafts.

Not trying to rain on your parade bro.

Talk to 4sdash, he just put a vxl in the 3906 he got off of me. It's a really cool truck. We run them together all the time. It's quick for a 3906... I will say that. But it just can't match the power of my emaxx. We have an awesome time with the trucks though

RC Qualifier
    Yea I've been bugging him lately was just trying to get other ideas as well I'm thinking about some flebay cvds just to see they're only like $40 got to get a receiver and a body I'll run her how she is and see what i got then get 4sdash to run her see what he thinks i just think the stock brushed is going to be too slow and high maintenance for my taste.

RC Qualifier
    I have an evx2 and 2 titans laying around if you are interested. I also have a trans that will fit a 3905+ chassis if you decide to go that way

RC Qualifier
    Maybe but let me see what it is i get and we'll go from there

RC Qualifier
    Sweet. You gotta come up here bashing and racing with us. We have way too much fun

RC Qualifier
    i think the mmm will be fun in that truck but the batt area is poor it says that truck has a full metal trans and the axels are the same as the current maxx and revo i think you will be surprised at the truck and i agree the worth of a true freind is hard to measure

RC Qualifier
    So sad I don't have an emaxx anymore

RC Qualifier
    Yes but you do have a bad *** flux to play with.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabun View Post
    So sad I don't have an emaxx anymore
    you can always get another one man there is acouple for sale right now in the market place

RC Qualifier
    The flux is an emaxx killer. Seriously it takes emaxxs out

RC Qualifier
    this is true i have pics to prove it broke the rear axel clean off that what made you finally give up on the maxx and well lets not forget the tree lol

if money is tight, those cvd's off fleEbay are decent. The pins might snap using brushless but you can replace with roll pins cut down cheap enough.
    For cheap steering upgrade, change the 4x bushes from the bellcrank and change to bearings. Then change the white servo saver to the black kimbrough 124.
    Slap some lipos in there with a low voltage alarm. The titans are good and not so good and if it's used you can consider it's a not so good. Get a mild brushless or dewalt.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Racer
    Hi I have a 3906 with a brushless set up. You can use a 540 or 550 brushless set up and not break parts. I have mine set up with a 550 3500kv motor with a VXL-3s system. I use 2s lipos, and have the truck geared 17 pinion and 66 spur and it runs about 25 but is super fun. You don't have to have a 1/8 scale brushless system to have fun. Just with my 550 it pulls wheelies in 2nd, and in 1st it just flips on its top. And I get about 20 min of run time. As long as you don't jab the throttle or get the truck in a bind and try to power out, it will stay together.

This thread I made is for the 3906.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...oing-brushless
    Feel free to ask anything, I have had my 3906 since new in 2002 and only replace the shock towers, and screws for Phillips to hex.