Thread: Roll cage?

RC Champion

Roll cage?

Are they worth it? Do they help the bulk heads out?

RC Champion
    The Raven RC roll cage looks like it would help brace up the bulkheads.

RC poster
    i use this rollcage on mine ( you can see it in the last post of the show your maxx pictures post ) it will put a lot of stress on the bulk heads. you mainly protect your motor , body mounts and shocks tower by transmitting all those forces in your bulkheads bumpers mounts holes wich are used to adapt it on the truck.

Then for some bad landings it will save you , but in some case it will kill your bulks while you could have hit your flexible body mounts and not braking anything at all...

and keep in mind that you will need to change your shocks oil because of the extra weight , and it will make you loose time to reach some parts like the pinion/spur because you gonna have to remove it each time.

its 50/50 not bad not great excepted for the look wich is awesome

RC Competitor
    If you don't mind running a wing and wing mount, then that is what I would recommend. As a newb I got sucked into a roll cage and it just hangs from the wall these days. It was HEAVY.

Oddly enough, I have to admit I am trying to adapt an Associated SC8 plastic roll cage into my current build. Being that it is plastic I don't feel so bad doing so...
    Formerly Wildjones before forum upgrade

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by M n M View Post
    The Raven RC roll cage looks like it would help brace up the bulkheads.
    this, I have one on my truck and it has saved it many times, yes it does get in the way doing some things, but I don't have to take it off to get to the pinion and spur, I can pull the motor and trans out as one piece even with my massive heatsink and fan on it. The cage braces up the truck by connecting the two bulkheads, in doing so it doesn't let the chassis and bulk heads flex away from each other, but does let the truck still flex some, I really don't see how a bulk head could break short of head on at 30+ into an immovable object, or getting ran over by a 1:1 vehicle
    3903Emaxx->brushless;4wd vxl mini Digger;VXL Rusty

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashing to the Maxx View Post
    this, I have one on my truck and it has saved it many times, yes it does get in the way doing some things, but I don't have to take it off to get to the pinion and spur, I can pull the motor and trans out as one piece even with my massive heatsink and fan on it. The cage braces up the truck by connecting the two bulkheads, in doing so it doesn't let the chassis and bulk heads flex away from each other, but does let the truck still flex some, I really don't see how a bulk head could break short of head on at 30+ into an immovable object, or getting ran over by a 1:1 vehicle
    ofc he will be able to do it , but it will take 2x more time and it can be really annoying when you need to set your shocks in the different shock tower holes to find the best setting.

i really disagree on the bulkhead strenghten point tbh. the rollcage anchor use just the same design than the stock kind of black X piece that connect the left and right bulkheads, but it will just be a little more rigid , and rigidity is never a good thing when you want to avoid breakage.

thats why rpm parts are so used and loved because their shock towers and bumpers are flexible enough to absorb most of the energy from crashes and stress less you bulkheads while with the rollcage everything is transmited directly into the bulkhead because of the rigidity of the steel...

rpm parts + alloy bulkheads are way better than a rollcage if you want something tough , and thats what im going to put back on mine for bashing, rollcage is for show trucks and adding wheighton a basher is never a good thing.. heavier it is , harder it fall

RC poster
    the way that the cage strengthend the truck is longitudanly, it will not let the bulkheads flex up or down in realation to the chassis, which is what causes the breakages. And if rigidity is never a good thing, why are you going with aluminum bulks? I have had my truck nose dive hard from about 6-8ft several times and not break a thing, I have yet to break a bulkhead, and my truck has had hit hard enough to break hard cases on gens ace batteries.
    The reason why people use aluminum chassis and bulks is to help fight against the two bending away from each other, the roll cage does the same. I don't really have that much of a problem working on my truck with the cage on it, I have had to replace many a bent shock and have yet to have to take the cage off to do so, the toe links ae more in the way than the cage.
    I'll take the weight penalty over the aluminum parts to save a lot of money over the aluminum parts.

RC Champion
    RC solutions cages are advertised as being tough enough to hold a 1:1 GM 1500....

Cages can help or hurt, it depends on the crash. I too have broke hard case lipos without damaging anything more than bumper mounting screws, and i snapped the front bulks in the same crash the next time.

Cages are for bashers, but i would recommend using them with AL chassis and bulks. With stock, they do transfer alot of force
    This parrot is NO MORE!!! This is an ex-parrot!!!

RC Champion
    I really just want to protect the motor..I think I'm gonna get tbr bumpers..I have them on a few of my trucks..

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashing to the Maxx View Post
    And if rigidity is never a good thing, why are you going with aluminum bulks
    because excepted if you go for a full aluminum chassis , if you mix both kind of parts ( aluminum + plastic or steel + plastic in our case ) , you have to keep a "fuse" part that can brake in huge crash.

as i said before , right now as a pure ramp basher , with my rigid steel rollcage connected to my plastic bulkheads if i land on any side protected by the rollcage , the "fuse part" who gonna brake first if the crash is too hard will be the bulkhead, and I'd rather a thousand times to break a simple flexible 5$ body mount or a easy to remove shocks tower ,than a bulkhead.

and you will loose alot of body flexibility too with the rollcage, it may seem negligible , but after a 7 or 8 ft high hard landing on the roof , body flex + body mounts flex can make a huge difference while the same crash with a rollcage will just transmit 99% of this force directly into your bulkheads ,while im pretty sure that the body and mounts flex can already absorb half of it maybe more.

well im not saying im 100% right, i might be wrong , but thats really my feeling since i use it. i think like powertothemaxx said that the only way to have a rock-solid maxx with a rollcage is to use it combined with a full aluminum chassis .

RC poster
    I had originaly bought my cage for the same reason as macz is thinking about buying one, and the first crash I had after putting the cage on, it did just that. Was going full throttle down the street(~40mph), got on the breaks too hard and the truck started doing front flips then cart wheels, the truck hit a culvert right on the right side of the halo part of the cage, saved my motor and trans from being crushed.
    The second time the cage saved my motor and trans, was again when the truck was going full bore going to jump a wide ditch. Learned the hard way not to hit jumps full throttle to be able to have some left to rotate the truck, truck nosed over in the air and hit the other bank flat on the roof. Cracked my nice pretty proline 05 crew cab silverado body on the front body mount, broke the rear shock tower, bent the rearmost shock on both sides, and bent the cage up pretty good. It's made of stainless steel rod, so its a little softer steel, bent it back with my hands, replaced a couple parts and was back at it.
    Maybe I've just had really good luck with mine, but I haven't had one down side to it yet that makes me want to take it off the truck.