RC Racer

Wheelie Bar Questions

Howdy!
    I am looking for a 'Wheelie-Bar' for my XL-5 Pede.
    I just installed the VXL-3S Velineon Brushless Power System(water-proof) and now, I need a 'wheelie-bar' and all.
    Best-bang-for-the-buck issue....I see Traxxas has one;
    Part # TRA3678 (stock issue)
    Part # TRA5186 (upgrade issue)

Is there any better or cheaper upgrades?
    Just asking and such...

---BT
    Bit-Older and need to 'learn' more.

RC Competitor
    The traxxas wheelie bar is a good overall option as it does everything you need it to. My only complaint is that the wheels that come with it are hard plastic and tend to wear out quickly. You can upgrade those to wheels that have bearings and rubber to correct that. Either the traxxas aluminum wheels work, or a pair of rubber rc airplane wheels can be used (these are much cheaper than the aluminum ones and work just as good). The traxxas bar is adjustable which people either love or hate, depends on their opinion.

I prefer the swami bar, which I'd a rigid aluminum plate instead of plastic, but with a stock or mostly stock pede it's more for looks than necessity. It runs about $40 but comes with good wheels.

Other people like the tbone rear bumper/wheelie bar, but I don't have any experience with their products.

I like both the swami and T-bone, but I hear RPM makes a wheelie bar now.

Swami is aluminum and stout, T-bone is plastic and flexible. IMO, the swami is better because it supports the truck for a smooth wheelie. Wheelies on the T-bone makes my truck look like a penguin walking... hard to explain but I think its due to the flex.

Those 5186 wheels are a great upgrade, high quality and really look good. If you use them, make sure you loctite the bolt threads or you'll lose the left one every time. (When on a wheelie the force turns the wheelie bar wheels forward and unscrews the left side and tightens the right side... think about it)

Here's a pic of the laid-back style Swami on my Pede

Last edited by O.G.; 10-03-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    +1 to the Swami-bar. I just replaced the airplane wheels on mine.

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    The RPM bumper mount and the Traxxas bar with Traxxas aluminum wheels is my preferred set-up. I just really like the appearance and adjustability. The RPM mount is key, though, because it doesn't pop out like the stocker and gives a bit of extra protection.

RC Racer
    Tbone imo is the best option. It has a lifetime warrenty and it wont bend and break like aluminum. The flex reminds me of rpm plastic which is way tough. Also has wider stance for more stability and motor protection.
    Picture of my tbone

This is my first T-Bone wheelie bar. It's going on my current Raptor Rustler Build. I'm excited to check it out and see how it is.

Check out my progress in the Bandit-Rustler forum.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Wow, you guys with newer t bone wheelie bars are lucky...mine didn't come with the big wheels on it.

BigT, I'll start off by saying that I'm not the biggest fan of the wheelie bar in general.

Before I bought a Traxxas wheelie bar, I must have gone thru 3 of the RPM rear bumper/wheelie bar mounts. Its durable, protects the gear case and looks very minimalist - which I prefer.

Ive owned both the Traxxas piece and the t bone racing piece.

My opinion about the Traxxas unit is that it is best served on the street and will only take but so much abuse. Although I consider it a one piece design, the way that it attaches to the rear skid plate isnt the best imo, but at $14 and less, it's not a bad option.

I feel the t bone is a bit better for bashing/offraod, but not as good on the street as the Traxxas one and that's simply because of its flexability and it's lack of adjustments. (the Traxxas can be set at 4 different angles) The t bone isn't exactly the most durable unit either (2 piece design) for the way the wheel bar attach to the slapper part. They use a collared washer that's plastic and prone to breaking. But t bone racing will keep sending them to you all day. Nowadays, I just run the slapper part of the t bone, without the wheel bar.

Has anyone tried the RPM wheelie bars? It's made for the Slash but could probably be modded to fit the Stampede. I was looking for some feedback.

RC Enthusiast
    The traxxas wheelie bar is junk, honestly. It won't break easy but it's frustrating because it UN clips itself and ends up dragging along the ground doing nothing so you have to cone back and re clip.

I have the swami bar at the moment and it's very good, far better than the traxxas one, although the screws that hold the wheels on have an annoying habit of UN screwing even when loctited in place. If you buy the traxxas bar I can almost guarantee you will buy a tbone our swami one not long after.

RC Champion
    The TRAXXAS one needs a zip tie once you find the angle you want most. Rough bashing will jar it loose, but not if you zip tie it.

+1 to the zip tie. That keep the Traxxas one in place very well. You have to remember its adjustable so it's going to come loose. If you find where you want it to stay put one on each side where it pops in place.

I'm a big Swami-bar fan so I highly recommend them.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    +1 on the swami bar.

And here is the RPM wheelie bar mount, with Traxxas wheelie bar, and upgraded wheels. My only complaint is the tires like to come off the alum wheels. That part is no fun. Ive glued em up several times, and keep an eye out for it. But i end up putting the black ones in the mobile parts toolbox just in case

Swami Laid Back...With Traxxas Wheels, As mentioned above. U want one of these, u gotta order ASAp. It took a while to ship..

Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Racer
    Good info!! Thanks!! After reading and looking at different issues...
    I was thinking about going with 'The Swamibar Full-Brace Edition' to cure 2 issues at once.
    (replace my Pede's Plastic wheel brace) Laid back model....

What do you all think about going this route?

---BT

I run the full brace on my Digger. I love it. Very good protection and makes for one huge heatsink if you are running an aluminum gearbox. As long as you know you have a chance of bending aluminum you are good to go. I've bashed mine pretty hard, with tons of ramp jumps and bent my first one for months then it just got weak from bending back. You can buy replacement parts if need be to save you a little extra money. If you dont do much jumping you will be good to go. It really doesnt matter what you put there if you ever land on the back of you truck it's going to eventually bend or snap the part there. That's a lot of weight for a part that's only held on by a couple of bolts.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Well, my thinking is that it cost the same so why not? lol I do know that it can bend or break but what doesn't when bashing at some point? lol Better than plastic IMHO. I do jump some but nothing super cool or high off the ground.

I have seen my son-in-law do some crazy stuff and he can break and/or bend parts in heart beat!
    Some parts, I have never heard of such breakage or ever seen it before...I ask him, "What did you do?" he still won't say or tell me.
    I dunno maybe he is jumping his Pede over the house or something.... LOL!!

Replacing my Pede's Plastic rear wheel brace with this part seems to be the best bang-for-the-buck.
    I race/Bash on a dirt course in a field, so sticks, rocks, etc. are an issue. Just my thinking....
    Thanks for all your comments! Very helpful!!

---BT

RC Qualifier
    results are always different but the swami wheelie bar looks like the new era models bar ,and its hard to say exactly what you plan on doing but i like to jump off curbs and lot of other thing i can find . the aluminum bars just seem to bend , so i run the traxxas because i can choose how much wheelie i want
    Last edited by 4sdash; 10-11-2012 at 12:33 AM.

RC Racer
    Good thoughts w/Winter coming on....

Think, I am going to consider both options and see if my wife allows such issue...
    If can get both and all...LOL!!

Thanks, Fellers and Gals....
    (Don't want to be 'rude' and such)

---BT

RC Qualifier
    Glad I saw this thread. Just ordered (2) laid back swami with the big tires. One for my new project "Need for P2de" and one for the p4de. Think I will appreciate these wheelie bars. Thanks guys!

RC Racer
    NP or No Problem, Mr. dirty don.
    I just order the Traxxas one w/the 'tire' upgrade to mess with for now.

I am going to get that Swami Bar that I mentioned before....

---BT

RC Qualifier
    I went the traxxas wheelie bar rout. My opinion is its to big. My new very first build will feature black anodized REM products. I wish the swami had anodize option. If I was really serious I could have it anodized black. Anyway, the traxxas bar will protect your RC for sure. I had just painted a new body and went run my truck without reinstalling the traxxas bar. I am still regretting it. Several flip overs and a scratched body. What a bummer. Take care and happy rcing to you.
    Ack

RC Enthusiast
    Can the t-bone wheelie bar support the aluminum Traxxas wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by Remz3 View Post
    Can the t-bone wheelie bar support the aluminum Traxxas wheels?
    Yes. Several guys on the forum use that setup.

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome, thanks for the info. Going to pick one up!

RC Enthusiast
    My order came through a few weeks ago with my T-Bone bar, and I'm loving it. Definitely recommend it.

1/10 Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    I built my own wheelie bar for under 12 bucks and it is holding up well. Thin aluminum plate, I picked the bend I liked, used some small air plane wheels and got it mounted up. Just a thought since it was easy and cheap. I have since built 2 other for my slash and other stampede, plus i sized it down for my mini. Everything is personal preferrence, so make sure it's something you like.
    Its now or never