Thread: Slash 4x4 LCG

RC poster

Slash 4x4 LCG

So I recently bought Slash 4x4 Ultimate. It came with two Traxxas batteries, but the top speed right now is only 30-35mph and each battery only gives me 20 minutes of fun. Any tips on what battery to get? I want to be able to hit easily 50mph.

My slash will mostly be used on road and once in a while on dirt as well. I plan on getting STRC shock towers, PR powerstroke shocks and possibly PR ProTrak suspension. Do they bolt right on? Thanks in advance

RC Qualifier
    You'll get more responses if you post in the Slash 4x4 forum. I would keep the GTR shocks over the PowerStrokes. I'd also get the STRC motor mount (you already have the bearing aluminum carrier). You'll want to look at better axles also.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Power View Post
    You'll get more responses if you post in the Slash 4x4 forum. I would keep the GTR shocks over the PowerStrokes. I'd also get the STRC motor mount (you already have the bearing aluminum carrier). You'll want to look at better axles also.
    I thought this was Slash section? Is the ProTrak suspension worth the money?

RC Qualifier
    There are two Slash sections - this one for 2WD and another for 4WD. For general fun, I like the stock set up, but would change the A-arms to RPM as they are less prone to breaking. I've done the following to my Ultimate and run it on all types of terrain:

STRC Shock Towers and Motor Mount
    VG chassis brace and shock springs (moved the lower shock mount outward one hole front and back)
    MIP X-Duty axles
    RPM A-arms, bulkhead and bumpers
    ProLine F11 BeadLock wheels with ProLine Trenchers (also have a set of pre-mounted ProLine Street Fighters for use on the pavement)

This is a very reliable, very versatile set up for driving in many conditions, but not ideal if you want to race.

RC poster
    ^^

Fair enough.

What battery do you guys recommend?

RC Champion
    PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    I've been in this hobby/addiction for years and years. After a lot of research, I came to the conclusion that Superior Matching Concepts Racing (SMC) LiPo batteries are the best value nowadays.

I recommend the SMC 7.4v 5000mAh 40C hard case with Traxxas Connector already installed $25. This is the best buy right now. I own seven SMC packs. They are very high quality. SPC is also a good manufacturer but a bit more money.

Here's the link: http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=246
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    That's actually dirt cheap. I will probably get to. Do you think they are going to fir in the stock tray? Also I'm thinking about getting 18-20t pinion gear.

Anyone else?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-16-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    I am 99% sure that battery will fit in your tray just fine. There are dimensions given on the SMC website so you could verify it easy enough. If you want longer run time on one battery, get one with a higher mAh capacity. But there's nothing wrong with just having two batteries, gives you a good reason to let the motor cool down while you switch packs.

RC poster
    I just checked and they should fit just fine. Can I still use stock charger that came from Traxxas? Not sure if I still have my Onyx charger.

Also is the pinion gear 18-20T necessary to achieve 50mph??

RC Qualifier
    I believe the stock charger is only good for the NiMH batteries so you will need a LiPo charger for those SMC batteries.

Here is a link to the Traxxas gearing chart:

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/pictures/t...slash4x4_6.jpg

Be sure to check temps with an IR temp gun when you gear up to be sure you don't overheat the motor.

RC poster
    Yeah I will thanks for the info guys.

RC Champion
    I use these in my Sl4sh:
    SMC 11.1V 4100mAh 40C
    SMC 7.4V 5000mAh 40C
    They fit just fine.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    I use these in my Sl4sh:
    SMC 11.1V 4100mAh 40C
    SMC 7.4V 5000mAh 40C
    They fit just fine.
    What speed are you usually getting with the 7.4V 4100mAh 40C?

RC Qualifier
    Speed is dependent on the gearing ypu are running. On 2s 13/54 I was going about 30mph. On 3s 16/50 I was going 59.

RC Champion
    It seems the fastest speed my Sl4sh travels is when it's plummeting down the ravine along the back of my yard. It's unintentional of course.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    It seems the fastest speed my Sl4sh travels is when it's plummeting down the ravine along the back of my yard. It's unintentional of course.
    Are you using stock pinion gear? Just want to make sure I have the right set up for my Slash.

RC Champion
    My LCG Sl4sh runs the Castle Creations Sidewinder 8th with the aforementioned batteries on stock gearing, 18/54.
    The system runs icy cold so I really need to gear up quite a bit.
    Obstacle Magnet