Thread: Center diff??

RC Enthusiast

Question Center diff??

Just wondering what exactly does installing a center diff do to the truck and is it a big help or really worth putting one in? Thanks for any info!!!

RC Qualifier
    it helps accelration by not letting the truck wheely, the front and rear wheels are powered individually. I like mine a lot better with the center diff.

RC Racer
    "Its going to depend on your driving style. The center diff will make you faster through the turns and slower in the straits and off the line. With the center diff the kit will pull more through the turns and your rear end will not spin out as easily. Off the line you will be slower because of the the pull in the front end, But for a loose track the kit will handle better and track much straiter. One other thing is you will want to rotate your tires alot cause your front tires will wear 3x's faster the the rears."

Give this a read: http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5050

RC Champion
    I run a center diff 90% of the time.

I disagree that its slower off the line or in straights. The entire way the truck performs can be tuned by changing the differential fluids to distribute power the way you want it. Stock out of the box it does distribute too much power to the front for my tastes and will cause it to be slower out of the hole from loss of traction in the front. With a slipper you get the same but its in the rear.

It takes a bit of trial and error and experimenting to find the balance that fits your driving style in the fluid viscosity.
    My sweet spot is Front 10K, Center 30K, Rear 5K. The balances out front to rear power distribution better and provides more power in the corners. The lower viscosity in the rear keeps it from coming around on you in the turns.

RC Racer
    I agree with you that if you try different oil weights, you can fine tune the diff to run like a machine but the stock diff will make it slower in the straights.

RC Enthusiast
    ok thanks guys.....so would most of you say to run one or to not run one?

RC Racer
    I vote to put the center diff in.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    I run a center diff 90% of the time.

I disagree that its slower off the line or in straights. The entire way the truck performs can be tuned by changing the differential fluids to distribute power the way you want it. Stock out of the box it does distribute too much power to the front for my tastes and will cause it to be slower out of the hole from loss of traction in the front. With a slipper you get the same but its in the rear.

It takes a bit of trial and error and experimenting to find the balance that fits your driving style in the fluid viscosity.
    My sweet spot is Front 10K, Center 30K, Rear 5K. The balances out front to rear power distribution better and provides more power in the corners. The lower viscosity in the rear keeps it from coming around on you in the turns.
    I agree that the stock center diff oil is too thin for general bashing. The center diff comes with 100k in it from the factory. The statement in red does not make sense if you dropped from 100k to 30k.

Traxxas offers 100k and 500k wt oils. It is very hard to find anything between those 2 wts. Losi makes 125k and 200k. Mugen and kyosho make 300k, but none of my 3 local shops can get it(its there, but their distributors cant get it to them), and I cannot find it on the net. The best(trx diff oil is much cheaper) way I have found to get higher wts, is to mix the trx 100 and 500k oils using this calculator:
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/oil_mixer.html

If you are just bashing, I would try 150-200k to start. That will send a little more power rearward, while still improving control compared to the stock slipper setup.
    Last edited by rag6; 11-29-2012 at 02:18 AM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...