RC Enthusiast

Rustler Aluminum Parts

Hey guys, I have absolutely every RPM part on my rustler at this time, but I have been noticing that I have been bending some steering pins and that my RPM caster blocks are curvy and when I put a new pin in I have to kind of bend it back to allow the pin to go in. To me, just my opinion, I think this is causing stress on the steering pin to bend again. So I I was thinking of buying some aluminum caster blocks from STRC and noticed through tower hobbies I have a coupon for $10 off of 50, so I got the okay from the wife and I want to take advantage of that. Should I go ahead and get the aluminum bearing carriers for the front and rear also? Let me know what you all are running and allowing your rusty's to be very durable. I currently have RPM a-arms all fours, caster blocks, bearing carriers all fours, bumper, aluminum tranny, rear bumper. and traxxas aluminum shock caps. So as you can see, I am new to this aluminum stuff, just want to make sure I don't get anything that is going to bend but instead save the bending. Thanks and Dad, your input would be appreciated

RC Racer
    hello, i have beat my poor rustler to death for a couple of years now, and i have a box of cast off parts i call the learning curve. i run my rustler mostly on pavment. what i have finally put together that will hold up pretty good for me is aluminum front bulkhead,aluminum front shock tower,aluminum caster blocks and rear bearing carriers aluminum trans, rpm or t-bone front bumper and t-bone rear bumper. for my a-arms i use pro-line wide set-up front and rear running traxxas front wheels all around, i can rotate my tires. i do not use a wheely bar, i use steel weight under the battery and up front under the shock tower. my goals are fast with it on the ground and body right side up. 3950kv motor with 3-cell-----kz903

RC Champion
    ^^ this.

Alum castor blocks is a good idea. Also good job getting the ok from the wifey hehehe.
    1 Slash 3 Rustys & visits with my old P4de/SC8

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah I was just going to try to sneak it out, but I knew it would bite me in the butt. She is a coupon fanatic though, so as soon as I told her about the $10 off of 50, she jumped right on it. LOL

RC Champion
    Well played good sir, well played. LoL

RC Enthusiast
    So I'm going for the strc caster blocks, and getting a replacement set of front bearing carriers from rpm. The rears are still in excellent condition. Any idea on the vertical pin that goes through the steering block. I would like a set of just those pins if possible as I already have 4 packs of the whole pin set #3640 with no vertical ones left.

RC Racer
    i also have a ton of left over parts from the #3640 parts packs. i wish traxxas would start selling the problem part on its own also. never forget the wife.-----kz903

RC Champion
    I would like to as well but I only ever find the packs as well. Good choice on the RPM carriers they have was less slop.

RC Champion
    I have a Rustler that's COMPLETELY aluminum. Nothing is plastic but the drive shafts, wheels, and electronics. Even the chassis is aluminum. To my surprise, it's held up very well. I don't bash the crap out of it... but I do run it, flip it, run into stuff, jump it a little, get run over by pede 4x4s, and all that fun stuff. I haven't broken anything yet. It handles like crap at low speeds though. That's one disadvantage of aluminum. It's great for high speeds though because the weight really keeps the car planted. If I were building one right now, I'd go with aluminum caster blocks, trans case, rear axle carriers, bulkhead, front shock tower, and if you don't beat the crap out of yours... a rear shock tower... in that order. Everything else, I'd go RPM or Proline, but you already have RPM As for the pins... I used to get them all the time because I had RPM caster blocks and bearing carriers and they flex so much that they bend the pin VERY easily. I can no longer find them though. I'll run down to the workshop and check my old packages and receipts and find the old part number and see if I can't track them down.

Edit: I have a recepit here from my last build. It's Traxxas part number 3740. They are called Traxxas Suspension King Pin Rustler 2.5 X 31.5 TRA3740. Here's the link:
    http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=5979
    Last edited by TraxxasTuesdays; 11-11-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

For aluminum I'd do the bulkhead, castor blocks, rear bearing carriers, and FLM or HR transmission case. Plastic c-blocks bends the pin too easily for my taste. I prefer STRC or TRX alu parts.

I'd also go with the HD axle shafts, 17mm adapters and 1/8 buggy tires.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

I resisted using aluminum on my Rusty for a long time but over time it ended up with a lot of it anyway. Started with caster blocks, bulkhead, and tranny case. Over time aluminum shocks, hex drives, steering bell cranks, bearing carriers, and shock towers all ended up being aluminum.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    To me, aluminum bearing carriers WITH aluminum caster blocks is asking for trouble. I did it on mine and had no problems... but I put RPM bearing carriers back on today to be safe. Has anyone had 1ST HAND experience bending or breaking an aluminum shock tower? They are REALLY tough IMO... yet people say they will bend. Even my Integy front tower wont break.

Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    To me, aluminum bearing carriers WITH aluminum caster blocks is asking for trouble. I did it on mine and had no problems... but I put RPM bearing carriers back on today to be safe. Has anyone had 1ST HAND experience bending or breaking an aluminum shock tower? They are REALLY tough IMO... yet people say they will bend. Even my Integy front tower wont break.
    What kind of problem did you have with aluminum carriers and caster blocks? I've been running this combination for years with no issues at all. My son tried aluminum casters with RPM carriers and after having to replace a few carriers switched to aluminum on his Rusty as well.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I've had no problems... but I expected a good shot to one of the front wheels would change that. I'm glad to hear you've had no issues, I'm just a little more comfortable with an RPM piece out on the end of my a-arm. I also run REM a-arms... so no give there. Maybe you could get away with it using RPM a-arms.

Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    I've had no problems... but I expected a good shot to one of the front wheels would change that. I'm glad to hear you've had no issues, I'm just a little more comfortable with an RPM piece out on the end of my a-arm. I also run REM a-arms... so no give there. Maybe you could get away with it using RPM a-arms.
    Many Rusty owners use aluminum casters and carriers but many of those same users run RPM arms. I have avoided aluminum arms on all my Rc trucks they are in my opinion a problem waiting to happen, just too easy to bend on in an accident.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    i run strc front caster blocks with rpm bearing carriers on the front, i did have aluminum bearing carriers but it got to the point when i wanted to clean everything i could not get the bearings out. rpm bearing carriers is the only rpm part i use because the caster blocks flex and deform causing the vertical pin to bend, the rear bearing carriers have aiso deformed due to impact. and i have broken an REM front shock tower and REM bulkhead. have had rpm a-arms deform also. i run my rustler fast.-----kz903

RC Qualifier
    If I were to put aluminum on someone else's car, I would do Anza casters and rear carriers, any quality bulkhead, and an aluminum tie bar with either Anza or STRC hingepins. The Anza casters are without a doubt one of the best durability upgrades ever, behind a Slash bumper of some sort. I'm not saying that they're bulletproof, but I haven't bent a kingpin since I installed them, something I can't say about the Traxxas casters on the two other trucks, and my truck gets all of the violence around here. For shock towers, I like the stiffness/flexibility of thick FRP or carbon, although I use the Pro-trac parts. If someone were to produce 7075 shock towers, that would be cool, but the 6061 towers just aren't strong enough for me to justify spending the money. The Anza rear carriers are super fine too, and include a trick bearing spacer so that you don't have to shim between the bearings and oversized bearings for durability.