Newbie has a couple Slash questions

I'm new to the RC hobby and have bought a Slash Ultimate 4x4. I'm just bashing around the yard with it trying to get a feel for driving/controlling etc. I live in WI so there's snow to deal with(especially when I lose control and launch it into the snow filled ditch..lol) When I'm done I blow the snow out with my air compressor,make sure everything is clean and dry before putting it away. Is there anything else I can do to help protect the car from damage by moisture.....someone mentioned WD40 lightly sprayed on everything will help. True? Any other tips to get the most out of the car with the least amount of parts failure from water intrusion? Thanks in advance for helping out the new guy!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Penatrating lube will help rid water out of joints and hard to reach areas behind screws. I bash in sandy/mud conditions. I spray mine with a garden hose, then a foaming glass cleaner then air compressor then wd40 and lube. I've had my slash for 2 years and it has no rust.

RC Racer
    If your using a compressor to blow out the snow, be very careful about doing so. You dont want to use alot of pressure, to much pressure can cause water and debris into the bearing and sealed components.

Sounds good guys..Thanks! i definitely don't use full pressure when blowing if off. Can you lightly spray the WD40 on the outside of the electronics or is that a no-no. I just read another thread where someone said lipos are not waterproof and that he puts them in balloons when headed to wet conditions...true?? I know this stuff is supposed to be waterproof but I've buried mine in snow a couple times and just want to protect it as best I can. Thanks again!!

RC Enthusiast
    I've heard that LiPo's aren't waterproof, but throughout my experience of making my car act like a boat, mud bogging, and other wet conditions, I have yet to find a LiPo fail.

I also suggest to use EPIC Oil on you bearing and moving parts, it is similar to WD40.

Thanks! Acting like a boat..lol I had mine pretty full of snow..it was riding pretty low!! Epic Oil? available at hobby stores,online or??? Can I use WD40 in a pinch? I also have some Fluid Film? Appreciate the feedback!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobPlayer03 View Post
    I've heard that LiPo's aren't waterproof, but throughout my experience of making my car act like a boat, mud bogging, and other wet conditions, I have yet to find a LiPo fail.

I also suggest to use EPIC Oil on you bearing and moving parts, it is similar to WD40.
    I too have not had a lipo fail due to wet conditions. Having accidently submerged my truck I panicked, thinking I just trashed my lipo. It still runs.

I run hard case lipo. I have no experience with soft case ones.

I put silicone around where the half's come together and where the wires come out. Just to be a little safer.

I have seen people plasti dip entire battery packs too.

I have herd that there is a company that sells batteries for rc cars and trucks that are waterproof. I want to say max amps. Let me get back to you on that.

RC Enthusiast
    I've always been a big fan of corrosion x... it's extremely water repellant, just don't get it anywhere near your motor or battery connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by davieboynj View Post
    I've always been a big fan of corrosion x... it's extremely water repellant, just don't get it anywhere near your motor or battery connectors.
    Thanks for the tip! Links to that product?? Always open to ideas!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Thanks for the tip! Links to that product?? Always open to ideas!!
    here's a discussion about the product:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1194728

and here is the amazon link:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...CCRKSSP7TN5N8Q

Quote Originally Posted by davieboynj View Post

Thank you!! My next Amazon order will include some. Stuff sounds pretty good!