RC Qualifier

Turning my bash slash into a racer...

Well a few guys that are regulars at the lhs have started getting together and running on a mid sized dirt oval. My slash has been a basher since day 1, but I took it with me to check out their track and realized I had a lot of tuning to do as sc10 2wds were keeping up with me. I'm much faster in the straights, but the corners cause havoc in the 4x4

I've followed the slayden set-up, while changing a few things along the way. I pulled the diffs and decided to run 7k rear, and 50k front. The 4x4 pushes going into the turns and gets loose coming out. So a light rear fluid and heavy front fluid should help with this. I've adjusted the turn in to be biased for a left turn ( its all left hand turns) and am going to play with camber adjustments to get the best bite I can. Right now I'm set at 3* on the front right and 4* on the rear right. I have the left side adjusted to 2* front and rear.

Now, I think the truck should dive into the corner pretty good and be more controllable on the exit but, I was also having trouble with the truck going absolutely nuts when trying to accelerate with any moderate throttle. I believe some was due to the fact that I'm running switch tires on a hard pack clay like surface with some blue groove in the back corner, and also that I had the slipper locked with the revo slipper and alloy pads. I went back to composite pads and adjusted to a 1/2 turn out from tight to allow some slip. I was thinking about the center diff but I'm worried that it will melt with the 2400kv system I run 3 and 4s batteries.

This is a backyard racer, so I'm not looking to go lcg and a whole bunch of race oriented parts, if I was going to do that, I'll bring my vorza with me to the track. I want the truck to remain a decent basher as well.

Give me some more ideas for my set-up
    Last edited by Cinnabun; 11-20-2012 at 11:23 PM.
    Sl4sh mmp2400 - savage flux hp XL - vorza flux hp

RC Qualifier
    Wow, is all I can say. The truck is a totally different truck now that I've gone through it and adjusted everything. I also found quite a few notchy bearings, a faulty rear diff assembly, and a broken rear bulkhead. I replaced the rear diff with the internals of a brushless revo edition so it has the I-bar support and the hardened spider gears. Filled the diff with 7k fluid. 4s power and bashing the truck really put it through the ringer. I was on the edge of getting rid of the slash, but found a whole new love for it.

I also went through my castle settings, and adjusted my punch control to 60%, drag brake at 25%, and I set up the castle torque limiting feature to hopefully reduce wheel spin coming out of the corners and on the initial launch.

RC Qualifier
    this is all well and good so far but you cant keep up with a vxl powered slash 4x4 on 2.8 trencher down the back stretch but then agian neither could the 1/8 rx8 powerd mugen buggy 1900kv on 4s , all jokes aside the truck should do alot better but you going to want new tire the track has a really loose top layer and look forward to running with you in the am for the turkey bowl

RC Champion
    Put in a center diff on the track even if you dont like it for bashing. Mine is built with Erevo gear kit and an FLM aluminum housing. I run it on 3s non stop and have never had a single problem. When set up right the cornering is where it really shines. I go into turns on a 20% drag brake then halfway through the turn punch it and power out of the turn. If you have the oil tuned correctly it will transfer more power to the front once the rear starts to slip and will pull the rear back straight coming out of the turns. I tried the track on a slipper and was getting my butt stomped, all in the turns as I couldnt keep it on the track unless I backed way off the throttle. SC races and ovals are won in the turns. You only need enough power to get to 35mph or so on the straights and thats easy enough with either the slipper or the center diff. Powering through the turns though the center diff is well above a slipper on any track in any conditions. You will also need to get a different set of tires. I run Calibers on hard pack.

RC Qualifier
    it was a bad day for cinnabun he lacked alot of traction and was bottoming out in the corneres , the basher slash came out victorious . all i had to do was change the front springs and had tons of steering

RC Qualifier
    I picked up a set of tazers for the truck. We run on a hard packed tri oval track. No jumps or anything. I'm getting way too much rotation out of the truck. The slayden set up really helped my entrance into the turn, but coming out it was very difficult to keep the rear from coming around on me.

I want to switch to losi springs, and I need to adjust for more droop and bring my ride height up a bit. I was slamming the rear skid on the rough banked turns and losing rear traction.

All in all, the truck ran a lot better with slayden's set-up, but I can see some things I need to change. My big heavy embe was faster around the track than my slash lol

RC Champion
    Not to sound like a broken record but the center diff will resolve the rear end coming loose coming out of the corners.

RC Qualifier
    so would his heavy finger im running a 2.8 trencher with a very high ride height 80 weight shock oil emaxx springs a vxl on 3s and a wheelie bar and for some reason the basher truck flys around the track , i wish i had vids because i ran down an 1/8 scale mugen buggy with a rx8 and 1900 kv motor on 4s i think alot has to do with your tire choice on this track

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Not to sound like a broken record but the center diff will resolve the rear end coming loose coming out of the corners.
    I definitely understand what you're saying, however I want the truck to remain a basher as well. And I refuse to install a center diff knowing the 2400 will eat it for lunch

RC Qualifier
    Well I just got the truck together. The body is ok, I wanted to do a sweet paint job but lost interest and just painted it a solid lime green color. I will post pics in the am...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabun View Post
    I definitely understand what you're saying, however I want the truck to remain a basher as well. And I refuse to install a center diff knowing the 2400 will eat it for lunch
    I cant speak for 4s as Ive only run that a few times and didnt have issues but I run a center diff regularly on 3s and a T8/2650 and ran it on a 1515/2200 and a 1512/2650 motor all of which have far more torque than the 1415 can of the 2400, I also ran it on the 2400 before I decided to bump the power up some more. I did replace the plastic housing with an aluminum FLM one but that was to prevent the plastic from having a melt down in the motor mount bearing and had nothing to do with to0 much power, although that may be why I dont blow center diffs.

Been chatting with Dash and Im gonna have to hook up with you guys and show you what a center diff will do on a track. The cornering is night a day difference. While you are struggling to keep the rear end from coming around on you in the corner Ill already be halfway down the next straightaway.

Nothing that says you cant get a center diff for the track and run a slipper for your bashing style. I swap mine out depending on what Im going to be doing for the day. Takes like 10 minutes if I have a coffee break in the middle.

RC Qualifier
    Well didn't get to run at the track today, but got some bashing in with it and overall it feels a lot better. I broke a shaft a few minutes into running the truck but even on 2wd with 4s it was alot easier to control.

If it werent for the local short course guys i was about to sell the slash. i was getting tired of it and i felt it ran its course and my interests were going elsewhere but ive decided to keep it now. Here's some pics of the slash and the new body I painted.