Thread: Sand Dune Setup

RC Enthusiast

Sand Dune Setup

Heading up to Stockton (North East Coast Australia) in a few weeks where theres some good sized sand dunes and long flat beaches to run my VXL. I've ordered the ProLine SlingShots for the rears and plan on running the stock front tyres. Can any of you experienced sand runners see any problems with this setup. Is there anything else I should consider when taking it onto sand?

Ju5to
    If it isn't broke, try to break it.

RC Champion
    Maybe soften up the shocks a tad so it rides a little lower.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ju5to View Post
    Heading up to Stockton (North East Coast Australia) in a few weeks where theres some good sized sand dunes and long flat beaches to run my VXL. I've ordered the ProLine SlingShots for the rears and plan on running the stock front tyres. Can any of you experienced sand runners see any problems with this setup. Is there anything else I should consider when taking it onto sand?
    Ju5to
    A shroud from Outerwears Racing will help keep the chassis clean and protect the components from the sand. Here is the link:http://www.outerwearsracing.com/prod...sp?prod=202591
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    You should be good to go, but watch the motor temps in the sand. If you can, have an extra pinion gear in case you need to gear down. I'd take an 18 and 20 tooth pinion. If your hot at stock gearing (you probably will be) you'll have to change the gear to get it to run for a whole battery without frying your motor. You can leave your gear cover off too so that sand can escape. Just watch your fingers if you run like this so you don't get a finger caught in the gears. And fight the urge to get it wet. Salt water is corrosive. You don't want rusty screws.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah that shroud is definately on my list. Not just for this trip but in general. Didn't think of the potential over heating in the sand so thanks for the reminder. Roger that on the salt. Being giving her a bath when she gets home, but i know, it doesnt take salt long to do its thing. That is. Ruin stuff. Mongrel. Only good for hot chips!

RC Champion
    If your budget allows, get a set of mohawks for up front. you will be able to turn better and the mohawks will not throw as much sand into and on your car/truck.

The slingshots on the rear work great, if the sand is super soft, gear it low and if it is more firm you can run a taller gearing. Soft sand and paddles absorb alot of power, so gear it right to save the motor.

A pic of my Slash with Baja bug body at the Glamis sand dunes.

"enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Plan on replacing wheel bearings often...

RC Enthusiast
    Paddles and Mohawkes ordered and in route.

Looking at a lot of footage most Sand people (not the star wars kind) seem to be running Baja bodies. I assume this is common purely down to the fact it doesn't catch as much sand under the wheel arches as the stock ones. I've also picked up the Velinion ESC fan too which Id generally run all the time, but wondering would this get ruined by sand as well. Am I best just to keep it out for my sand venture. If I do opt for a shroud cover what impact would that have on the fan i wonder?

Orca44 thats the type of dunes ill be bashing on The soft sand kind. Ideas on gearing?

Thanks all. Sorry about the questions. rather get your help on how to avoid breaks than help on how to fix the breaks.

RC Champion
    I run 18/90 @48 pitch in the sand dunes... but also have the Castle SV2 5700 kv set up.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    I would suggest you think of converting to 32 pitch. The sand seems to really chew up the gears. Having a thicker, deeper tooth helps. My buddy and I also quit running a cover over the gears, as the cover would still let sand in, but wouldn't let it out. Just watch your fingers.

RC Champion
    I suppose 32 pitch may be a bit better...(More stout)

I for one have just stayed with the 48 pitch because it has served me well (JMO) and is a bit quieter. They also seem to have a better selection of 48 pitch gears at my LHS.

I run the gear cover to prevent mishaps and mine must seal very good as only fine dust (no sand) seems to enter when I go to da sand. Must be just lucky....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis