RC Racer

Debit card woohoo!

I am a junior in high school and just got my first job working at a golf course, so I went ahead and set myself up a bank account and with that came a debit card... So the troubles began! A teenager with money is never a good thing! Spent around $100 on miscellaneous items, screw set turnbuckles and a battery. It's gonna be hard to control online spending, it's so easy, click and then bam it's at your door in a week! Gotta balance saving for college and rc... So far rc is winning 😳

RC Champion
    put your debit card in your dresser drawer.. make it inconvenient for you to have to run and go get it..hehe

Get control of it right away or in a few years you will be wondering how you got so far in debt. My plan was this from the get-go: save 10%, give 10% and live off of 80%; the first two being minimums and can go up but not fall below 10%. And I have an accounting program on my computer that I balance to the penny monthly.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Get control of it right away or in a few years you will be wondering how you got so far in debt. My plan was this from the get-go: save 10%, give 10% and live off of 80%; the first two being minimums and can go up but not fall below 10%. And I have an accounting program on my computer that I balance to the penny monthly.
    That's the same thing here what your doing. I have my bills setup on spreadsheet and that's what the amount goes for bills and food and what not down to the last penny too. Worth it to me and keeps you out of debt so if you don't have the cash you don't spend.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Racer
    Yeah I agree with all of you, this was just me finally having some money and getting some much needed upgrades.. Haven't been itching to spend in the past couple days! I might major in business in college so better to start learning some things now!

i didn't find out about insufficient fund charges until a year after i got mine. $30 that i didn't have just because i bought something $2 more than i had. remember with easy access to all of your money comes a great urge to get everything you can think of. usually upgrades and food. occasionally a date.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Enthusiast
    Keep it secret, keep it safe. They are one: the debit card and the Dark Lord. He must never find it.
    "Bagginses? What is a Bagginses?"

Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    put your debit card in your dresser drawer.. make it inconvenient for you to have to run and go get it..hehe
    Put it in a bowl of water then stick in it the freezer then it will take a while to get it out and gives you time to think if you really need it.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

Not if you have an 8 lb sledge hammer. Remember. Debit cards are also useful for depositing money.
    Last edited by Jimdog; 06-01-2013 at 04:06 PM.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC poster
    When I started working for the first time before 5 years, I also had a debit card and was spending more than $100. And today I am spending very less money on online shopping. I think it is necessary to plan our budget according to your salary. If you have a debit or credit card then make a fix budget to spend on online shopping. I am using a Hello Kitty Credit Card today and I am getting a wonderful cashback so that I save huge money on my every purchases.
    Last edited by Markmario25; 06-02-2013 at 01:32 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    With a debit card, you can only go so far into debt, since you have to have the money in your account to spend it.
    Also, you shouldn't use your debit card for online purchases anyways, if there is ever an issue with a charge, it can wreak havoc on your finances.
    Example, you have $1000 in your checking and you buy something for $100, but the vendors system screws up and ends up charging you $1000, or you get a few repeated $100 charges ( this happened to apple customers a few years ago), the money is instantly deducted from your checking account.
    You may end up with no money for a few days till it gets sorted, and if you have bills to pay, then they may not go through and it becomes a pain in the butt to sort out.
    Try and use a prepaid Visa card for online purchases, it's safer and you can control it easier by budgeting how much you put on it.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,