Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Managed to get out yesterday with the rally. Have it setup with 19/54 gearing and I went back to the stock tires/wheels. I left the body 1 hole higher on the posts though and I installed some straight rate springs in the rear from a stampede as per the Jangs suggestion.

I really like the stock tires SO much better than the buggy tires/wheels I was running before. They get better grip on all surfaces, the car handles way better, drifts better, turns better... everything is better. This car really benefits from the larger outer sidewall on the SCT style tires. I hope traxxas or proline releases different options in this size. Or at the very least, traxxas gets the tires in stock as this is all ill want to run.

I took the car out to a large sand spot at our local fair grounds. It was groomed smooth after the last time it was used so it only had a few minor bumps in it. If I go back I may take some cones and setup a course, possible even add a few minor jumps.
    Before i went I attempted to install some roost deflectors behind the front wheels. I think the concept is sound, but the deflectors are not tall enough. Im going to keep working with the design to see if I can make it more effective. One thing is for sure, even with the deflectors, this chassis sure does collect dirt and sand. Luckily, it only took a few minutes with a compressor to clean it up again.

And a short video. Please forgive both the crappy driving and filming. I was holding my Iphone with one hand and driving the car with my other hand (yes, one had driving).

Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 11-15-2012 at 09:37 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow, that is some serious sand!!!

What was the air temperature when you made the video?

That is why I am still in doubt about getting a Rally. I just hate the fact that all the dirt which goes up in the air with a car like a Pede or a Rustler, but gets caught underneath the body with a Rally or a Slash.

Anyhow... Nice rig you got there, Pav.
    Nobody is born with experience

I'm going to contact tbone to see if they would have any interest in making a set of inner fenders for. Rally/slash. I think they would sell amazing.

Got out again today with my version 2 fenders/deflectors. I added a 2nd section and it seems to have been fairly effective. Looks ridiculous... but works, especially in the sand.

These pics were taken after 2 times the amount of running I had done in the last set of pics at exactly the same spot.

I also contacted novak about my short run time issue and why, despite my high gearing and the high KV of the motor, I wasnt experiencing any heat. I was told that A: I should increase the timing in the ESC... not the timing of the motor, but the timing CURVE of the ESC. The Novak ESC starts the motor out at 0 timing then ramps it up in an exponential curve until you hit your maximum selected timing at full throttle. I turned the timing up to level 3 (not sure what degree that is, ill check later on) and was told I should lower my gearing as the increase in RPM at full throttle would cause excess heat. Speeds went up at full throttle, heat in the motor went up only a tiny bit. Heat in the ESC went up a bit more than expected so I re-added the fan and that kept the ESC nice and cool. Im pretty sure I could increase timing even further.

In terms of battery life, im getting about 12 minutes from an SPC 5400mah 50C 2S pack. In my VXL stampede I get at least 30 minutes from the same pack. In my last sensored setup, an MMP/Trinity 540 I was getting nearly 30 minutes as well. The guy at novak told me their systems, in particular their 550 systems are real amp hogs and 12 minutes is a realistic expectation for a 5400mah 2S pack. Also, I was told the LVC is set at 3.3 VPC... but its kicking in early as the amp load is tripping it early. I timed my last run, mostly full throttle running, and I got 5 minutes before the LVC kicked in the first time. At that point I eased up on my running and got another 8 minutes out of the pack before the LVC hit full shut off. This is unacceptable and, IMO, a pretty major drawback to this system. I love the power, I love the smoothness... but if Im only getting 12 minute run times and more than half of it has to be at easy throttle... thats terrible. Im seriously considering going to an MMP/3800 combo instead. I know that setup will get decent run times and have lots of power. The guy at novak told me their motors are 2 pole where as the castle motor are 4 (as we all know) and that the 2 pole motor is less efficient. But, the VXL motor is 2 pole as well... and it gets decent run times. So that cant be it.

Just thought this was an interesting update. Sure, I could always run my 8200mah packs but I shouldnt have to in this car.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 11-15-2012 at 07:38 PM.

If there was one available, would you use an Outerwears shroud instead?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Im going to get an outerwears shroud for this thing for sure. Theres a thread on the forum of someone who used the slash 4X4 shroud and it fit fine. Im going to pick one up. It really is the solution to the problem.

Just bought the outerwear's cover. Could only get blue but it should match the rest of the car anyway. Hopefully this is the answer the "chassis full of dirt" problem.

RC Champion
    Let us know how it fits. This thing needs it badly lol.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

Very cool vids dude have seen them both and they rock for one hand driving check out the v2 tenshock motors for your rally dude...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    Well fr