Thread: Dyeing chassis

RC Champion

Dyeing chassis

Does dyeing the chassis affect the integrity or make it softer and more flexible? Can I leave it in the boiling water too long? How long should I leave it in? Does the water need to be boiling the entire time?
    60% of the time I'm right every time.

RC Racer
    I dyed mine, first thing I did was boil the water then pour the dye in, (put the heat on low) stir it then drop the chassis for 15minutes, turn off the heat and leave it submerged for 30mins maybe more depending on how dark you want it to be. Don't know if it made the chassis brittle or strong but one thing for sure, it didn't break with all my crashes.
    traxxas 4 life

RC Champion
    I'm sure if you asked 10 different people, you'd get 10 different methods, but here is mine:

Get a throw away turkey pan from the dollar store.
    Put that across 2 burners of the stove.
    Fill 3/4 way with water.
    Turn both burners on.
    Wait.
    Wait.
    Wait.
    When the water comes to a rolling boil, put the dye in.
    Stir for a few minutes.
    Shut the burners off.
    Drop the chassis in.
    Go do something for like 2 hours.
    Pull the chassis out.
    Rinse off in the sink.
    Lastly, be VERY VERY careful moving the pan full of water/dye. Those dollar store pans are flimsy.
    I brought the pan outside and dumped it into a sewer out back.
    My chassis came out nice and jet black.

EDIT: Make sure the chassis is squeaky clean before you even start. Dawn dish soap and a tooth brush works great,
    Slash 4x4 LCG. ET-3S/2400, Tekno, Savox, RPM, GTRs

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    I'm sure if you asked 10 different people, you'd get 10 different methods, but here is mine:

Get a throw away turkey pan from the dollar store.
    Put that across 2 burners of the stove.
    Fill 3/4 way with water.
    Turn both burners on.
    Wait.
    Wait.
    Wait.
    When the water comes to a rolling boil, put the dye in.
    Stir for a few minutes.
    Shut the burners off.
    Drop the chassis in.
    Go do something for like 2 hours.
    Pull the chassis out.
    Rinse off in the sink.
    Lastly, be VERY VERY careful moving the pan full of water/dye. Those dollar store pans are flimsy.
    I brought the pan outside and dumped it into a sewer out back.
    My chassis came out nice and jet black.

EDIT: Make sure the chassis is squeaky clean before you even start. Dawn dish soap and a tooth brush works great,
    I did almost the same thing on my last 2 chassis. Only thing I did different was left the burners on while dying the chassis' but lowered the temp settings just a tad

RC Champion
    I finally dyed my chassis. I left it on the stove for almost 2 and a half hours and the water never got above 120 degrees. I am amazed how well it turned out. It's almost like it was black to begin with.

RC Racer
    I also use the disposable roasting pans. The few things that I do different are, 1) I do this outside on the gas grill. This way not if, but when you spill some the wife will not kill you for staining anything in the house. 2) after brining the the water to a boil, add the rit dye, put you chassis in, lower temp to 175-200, leave there for 2 hours, turn off heat, and leave in till the next day. I have had great penatration into the chassis this way. Like matts125 said. Make sure to clean the chassis very well prior to dyeing.
    2650Kv backslash•2200Kv SL4SH•4300HD Rally•8S XO1

RC Champion
    How deep do you think my dye penetrated? Am I going to see gray scratches? I don't have a girl yet. I have to worry about mom killing me. I did spill a couple times but even on white laminate counters simple green saved me. The chassis was brand new so it was good and clean. I only got to 120 because my burners weren't even and it couldn't conduct heat well.

RC Racer
    Hard to say...after running it, if you discover gray coming thru, you can always re-dye it. If you're only getting the temp up to 120 deg, I'd leave it ther for a few hours to help with absorption.
    2650Kv backslash•2200Kv SL4SH•4300HD Rally•8S XO1

RC Champion
    I have had four chassis all dyed and no problem even with scratches; with added 30gm of salt which opens up the spores and so that the dye works better. I beleive it has dyed beyond the surface; The only point when I saw the grey part is when I actualy used an utility knife to cut a small piece of it.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Enthusiast
    I dyed two chassis' the other day... Cooked at 160 for 2.5hrs in a turkey pan across the stove.... I drilled a hole through my stampede afterwards for mounting a cc 8th system... I noticed that almost all of the material being drilled out was black other than about 1/2 - 3/4mm at the very center was gray. I would say it's not going to have gray scratch marks unless you snap it in half.
    p4de-CC2200
    sl4sh-CC3800
    many others R.I.Pieces

RC Competitor
    I dye my chassis in 28 minutes. I put the chassis into fresh boiled water. Then let it soak for as long as it takes to boil up two kettles worth of water. I mix up the dye in a container then just drop the chassis in straight from the other water. I timed it and 28 minutes later it was done. No boiling on the cooker or anything.

I will admit it has a blue hint to it but so does alot of others I've seen with afew hours soaking.

I don't know why but I think they changed the plastic in the chassis because I always do it this way and I usually get a nice black colour with bronze tinge.

But alot of 4x4 chassis I've seen have a blue tint to them.