RC poster

Bad production diff?

Hi guys,

this is my first post here after lurking for a long time.
    Love the community!

I bought a 1/16 brushed E-Revo a few days ago with some 2s Lipos.
    It blazing fast (for my son anyway).
    After driving on some dunes it now makes a KRRRRR-noise from the back. That must be the rear-diff needing shims.

I wonder though, seeing that it is such a widespread thing, isn't this just a bad product than? Everyone is fixing it themselves (so will I, because I want to continue driving it).
    We haven't done anything that this car isn't build for.

Is there something to prevent this from happening in the future altogether? Is there a stronger / upgraded diff available?
    I'm going to buy a new ring and pinion and I don't want this one to go bad after a few days.

Ending this post positive: I still LOVE this car and I think a full-size E-Revo will follow shortly

RC Enthusiast
    If You Are Stripping Diffs Often Make Sure Your Gears Are Meshed Properly. http://traxxas.com/support/How-do-I-...-Traxxas-Model Hope This Helped!

Could also be sand... it gets everywhere!

If you run on sand, you should get in there and clean it out thoroughly and re-lube.
    It's a pain, but you gotta pay to play!
    Slash 4X4 Platinum / Mini E-Revo VXL

Yes, Fleeper you are right - a new diff and pinion and shims will be on order . Shim the pinion too. I recommend also checking the bearings to see if they need replacing... when I stripped a diff I'd get a new bulkhead too and re-build the lot to be sure.

Ummm..
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I'm not sure how to stop upgrading! check out places like The Toyz, AMain and many others.

Did you say brushed? Keep that motor clean and lubed!
    1/16 EREVO, 1/10 SUMMIT

Every car has its weak spot. Most of the time there are solutions to change the weak spot. For the diff issue you can start to shim the diffs. I use alu bulkheads (expensive upgrade) and never stripped a diff since.
    On the other hand there are enough people who drive their Merv all stock without diff problems.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Peterje60, what do you think of the aluminum bulks and weight? Do they seem to add much? I've considered them myself.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    Peterje60, what do you think of the aluminum bulks and weight? Do they seem to add much? I've considered them myself.
    I have always had my cars a bit overpowered, so the extra weight never bothered me. Because the extra weight is pretty much on axle level, you don't notice it very much. At the time I got mine, there was this offer for two bulkheads and a alu gearbox for $100. Still not cheap, but for me it was worth it.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC poster
    Wow, a lot of responses and I didn't get a notification. (ah, I see you have to turn that on)
    Sorry for not responding guys...

To answer some questions: We did run on sand dunes, so it could be just sand. I'm going to open up everything this weekend and have a look.

I have ordered some stuff online:
    - 2 sets of pinion and gear + diff oil (30k, which I read is the default)s
    - 2 sets of Team Associates shims
    - GTR shocks + 50wt oil
    - Alu toe links
    - Alu push rods

I read somewhere that you have to lube the motor from time to time with "3in1" oil? Where can I get that stuff?
    Ah and I also need to order some compressed air cans (if this hobby sticks , I will switch to a compressor).

Petertje60: well in brushless versions I can imagine stuff breaking (although it shouldn't), but this is a brushed version with 2s lipos. I think since it's such a widespread thing, that they need to rethink the design.
    Last edited by Flepper; 11-14-2014 at 07:32 AM.

Mate the 3 in 1 oil you should find at a hardware store. It's to lube the brushes at either end of the motor can (under the pinion and at the opposite end). Just a few drops is good. To clean out the motor look for 3-in-1 Electrical contact cleaner. Remove the motor and spray in every hole of the can untill the fluid runs clear. I use the oil on the brushes about every hour of runtime, and clean the motor out with the contact cleaner pretty regular also - maybe after a day in the dirt.

If you ever go brushless all that cleaning goes away.
    1/16 EREVO, 1/10 SUMMIT

RC poster
    Hi Beaz, thanks for your answers!
    I will have a look at the hardware store for both of those.

Yeah, I know that brushless is a lot easier, but my son (age 6) also drives this car and although he already asked me for the upgrade, hahaha, I'm afraid he would wreck it in minutes (he's a great driver though). I don't think I can tempt him to use the Teton