RC poster

1/16 Summit VXL Brushless -- Fried ESC, Motor, broken Transmission?

So I've had this summit for two years now, and I recently went on vacation and ran my summit straight into the ocean. When I took it out, it kept jittering when I put on the throttle. It moved, but at a very slow pace. Eventually, it just gave out. I rinsed it off with the hose when i got back to the beach house and let is dry on every angle. still, no matter what, nothing. Now, it just beeps when i put on the throttle on. I took off the motor and esc, nothing looks wrong, but I'm not sure if you are supposed to be able to turn the metal gear on the motor with your finger, or if you should be able to roll the car freely with no motor attached. So should I be able to do those things? I contacted Traxxas and they said they would want $40 to fix/replace the ESC and $25 for the motor. Is that reasonable?
    Last edited by VinnyLambo; 07-28-2015 at 06:43 PM.

RC Champion
    You are supposed to be able to hand turn the motor, and the car should roll if you push it, with or without motor installed.

Considering a new 1/16 ESC/motor combo sells for $120 - $140, $65 is a reasonable replacement cost. And no RC is salt water proof and they state it in the manual. Sorry to hear about the electronics dying. If it can't roll back and forth or turn the motor, it sounds like the motor seized up at least. If the ESC beeps, the ESC might still be functional. I can't guarantee it. If you have a local hobby shop, you might take it there and see if they'll let you connect the ESC to another motor to test it before replacing both.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC poster
    So, the motor is most likely shot, same with transmission?

RC Champion
    The transmission is probably fine, unless you got saltwater in the bearings, then it's just a matter of new bearings. There is a fairly good chance the esc is ok, ,though trying to run it after a saltwater submersion was a bad thing to do. The motor is the most likley casualty, but a motor with a dead short could also take out the esc. IF possible checking the esc with a new motor is a good idea.
    Dacaur

RC poster
    OK, so I should take apart the transmission? Also, what are some good motor upgrades? I would be willing to spend up to $100.

RC poster
    And what do I look for when you say bearings? Does that mean taking apart the transmission?

RC poster
    And what do I look for when you say bearings? Does that mean taking apart the transmission?

RC Champion
    I dont think i would take it apart at this point, there are a lot of other bearings that are more likley to have issues first, I would wait and see... if your other bearings (mainly in the knuckkes, as they are the most exposed, and in the diffs) start to go bad, then worry about the tranny.

You will know if bearings go bad because things will feel "gritty" and not spin smooth.

For the motor, did you find the stock motor lacking? If yes, are you already using lipo? I honestly can't imagine wanting more power than the stock system is capable of. If you are still using nimh , an upgrade motor wont improve anything anyway. The only reason to upgrade the motor IMO is if you are already using 3 cell lipo and want more speed. You certainly are not going to find a better deal than $25 for a brushless motor.
    Last edited by dacaur; 07-29-2015 at 07:08 PM.
    Dacaur

RC poster
    Hey guys, I took the transmission off of the car and it looks like that was the problem. That was probably the reason the motor broke. I contacted traxxas to see if they'll do anything for they transmission. Thanks all for your help! I will remember your names for future reference.

RC Champion
    I thought you had determined that the motor was the problem. What was wrong with the transmission?
    Dacaur

I don't think the transmission should be a problem, post a picture of it if you can
    Two stroke smoke

RC poster
    So when I took the trans off of the car the car rolled freely and when I tried to spin the gear on the trans, it was impossible, even with pliers. So yea. I got a RMA from traxxas and are thinking to send the esc, motor, and trans over there and see what they can find.

RC Champion
    oh so in your first post you meant to say that it DIDNT roll freely when you pushed it... we thought you were asking if its was normal for it to roll freely when you push it.... That's why I said I wouldn't worry about the transmission....
    Dacaur

RC poster
    Oh sorry about that. We have all the parts ready for mailing and are planning to to it tomorrow.

RC poster
    Hey everyone, just a quick follow up about my vehicle. My summit is great now. It runs better than how it came out of the box! Thank you everyone for helpinge on this great adventure, and I hope that you have fun with you toys and peace!